• ...and so much more!
  • zbloxzoid

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2023
    Terre Haute
    Feel free to add your anecdotes and things you’ve heard - this is an open discussion + a review. I want to document the long-term.

The Alien Gear Photon IWB/OWB ambidextrous holster is relatively new, being released in May of 2023. I know AG makes some good holsters, but being new we have the time before it goes from “New and cool” to “Tested and reliable” or “Do not buy.” I haven’t seen a lot about it, only found it on their site when looking at holsters.

I have carried it for 30+ hours at this point of the thread, configured below. Here is my immediate notes:

097f7326ecf5a2c8a2637792d0580af5.jpg

ae80fc2e4d2d7e2979ccb6f24540f3d0.jpg

P320 Compact, with mag carrier attached. Set up for appendix carry, right hand dominant.

Pros:
    • Modular as all hell.
    • Ambi, for the wrong handed.
    • Kydex (adjustable tension, consistency in draw/reholster)
    • Low profile, even with a mag carrier expansion wing.
    • AG Photon Mag carrier can be positioned wherever - or attached to the holster via a skeletonized “arm,” which is adjustable.
    • Adjustment options. Clip size (1.5” and 1.75”), height, cant. 3 holes to choose.
    • Screw adjustments. You have to screw everything in, it comes pre-loctite’d with the yellow one.
    • Available at big box stores. I drove to Bass Pro for it.
    • All Photon holsters (light-bearing or not) are optics compatible, just check before buying. I don’t think it likes optics that have forward-protruding windows like the SRO.
    • $45. Mag carrier is $25.
    • Comes with a “claw” to help reduce printing. Might help, although I do not have holsters to compare to.

Cons:
    • Kydex. Can be uncomfortable.
    • Only L1 retention. Just the friction, so not ideal for OWB if you like your gun with L2 or L3 retention.

Neither pro nor cons:
    • Comes in pieces. You have to assemble the entire thing. Do not have black carpet or the screws will go to Narnia.
    • Takes a good minute to find proper fitment.
    • Should accept threaded barrels, although I do not know for sure. I do know they will protrude from the holster.

The above will be updated as I get more time with it and more people get one and say their words.

Impressions:
    Sits low enough in appendix configuration to carry a P320C with a small gut. I’m new to carrying, and had no issues.
    I have a suede holster that is slightly more comfortable but this is secure. Doesn’t feel cheap, mag carrier arm bends enough to curve to your body but isn’t floppy. Sits well when seated, although I need to adjust to sit straight or slightly forward, since I have pudge. Haven’t tried any other position since I feel appendix being the most secure, minus the whole gun pointed at your junk park.
    By this time it just is there, and honestly comfortable enough I forgot. The clips combined with retention are a mental security - the gun is not going anywhere and the gun will come out without the holster when I want it to. I only had one bad experience - I got pinched sitting down in my car. I carry appendix, do the math. Holster isn’t really at fault - but it happened because of rigidity.
    Print wise, there is a small amount but I can chalk that to the gun I carry, being a “bigger” one. With my size and build, it looks less like a gun and just baggy shirt. Tight shirts “Print like a fax machine” as my friend says, and yes he was right. Holster issue, maybe. To me, wardrobe issue but I thought it was worth including.

I spent a good 20 minutes or so with the holster and my unloaded gun trying to simulate a ND. I had no luck, I tried everything from t-shirt getting caught and aggressive reholstering to partial bad trigger discipline. When reholstering with a finger on the side or not fully on the trigger, the gun will not holster OR your finger is not able to continue, but the gun does. I reholstered at multiple angles, with torque and tried to simulate an ND. No luck. The only ND I was able to successfully simulate is having a golf ball sized ball of tshirt in the trigger guard while reholstering. The close second being finger partially on the trigger, for the obvious reason. Yes, this is my gun with my trigger, and yours may be lighter or heavier. This was a stock P320C trigger. You may have manual safety, so this entire section could be irrelevant. So far, not been able to find a flaw in the safety of the holster.

So to end the first post in this thread - it works. It seems adjustable enough to make everyone happy. It beats buying a $200 LAS Concealment Ronin and not liking it. If you’re in the market - check it out, especially if you have a different gun or a light, since I unfortunately do not have more guns or a light to give my 2 cents on.

Thanks, let me know what you think/experience.

zbloxzoid

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2023
    Terre Haute
    40 hour update:

10 hours today. 4 in the car, 3 with no gun (thanks Illinois), and 3 with a gun while moving.

Went in when I got dressed this morning and came out when I walked in the door. Longest consecutive wearing of the holster, albeit some of the time empty due to Illinois.

Took 94 to 294 to 290 to go to Schaumburg. Traffic out the wazoo today, tanker rolled over on EB 94 and accidents and construction meant a lot of sitting in the car. Left no lasting marks or any small bruises from the constant bumping of driving or the seatbelt locking up because Illinois lets anyone drive.

Fine with walking a lot, but it should be. Didn’t ride up or down, stayed put with walking on inclines, stairs, and in general for about 3 hours and some change.

I only got annoyed at the very end of the day, but that I can partially say is due to the nature of being newer to carrying.

Dwight

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 24, 2011
    Sheridan
    Good review so far. Perfect timing too as I just bought the AG Photon on Thursday.

I’ve got it set up for a Sig Macro with Holosun and a TLR 7a. Wearing it with the paddle OWB. Wore it 8+ hours on Friday with no issues.

I agree that I find myself wishing for more retention as I’m coming off of a Serpa. But I have to say, my fully loaded Sig will not fall out even when flipped upside down.

Best option I could find for my particular setup. Thanks for posting!

zbloxzoid

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2023
    Terre Haute
    Good review so far. Perfect timing too as I just bought the AG Photon on Thursday.

I’ve got it set up for a Sig Macro with Holosun and a TLR 7a. Wearing it with the paddle OWB. Wore it 8+ hours on Friday with no issues.

I agree that I find myself wishing for more retention as I’m coming off of a Serpa. But I have to say, my fully loaded Sig will not fall out even when flipped upside down.

Best option I could find for my particular setup. Thanks for posting!

I will say for IWB purposes it has plenty of retention. Plus it is adjustable to basically nothing to unreasonable.

zbloxzoid

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2023
    Terre Haute
    53+ hour update:
    New longest consecutive usage time. I put it in this morning, packed my car and drove 3 hours back home from my vacation. Not an issue, and I wore it today at work for 8 hours plus another 20 minutes in travel time. No issues whatsoever, and it has been very comfortable for the long period of time. When I go a week or ND and lose my ability to have kids I'll update the thread.

zbloxzoid

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2023
    Terre Haute
    100 hour update:

I have been wearing it every day for about 10+ hours, minus a day or two when I’m off and at home.

No issues - the kydex has not worn or changed in anyway, and the clips have not lost the tension.

Haven’t given myself new holes either - so it seems to be fine in the safety aspect.

Spent a good amount of time here and there practicing draws from standing and seated in a car and seated in a chair. Consistent, and the holster responds to fast movements well. It sucks to draw offhand, but what holster wouldn’t? At least train with your holster.

Thanks

crookcountygo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 28, 2022
    Indiana
    Thanks for this feedback. I'm looking for a holster for my Shield Plus, and Alien Gear is one of the makers I was considering (I use their Cloak Tuck 2.0 IWB for my S&W Model 66 and am very happy with it). I really like the idea of being able to go from IWB to OWB with the same shell. How easy is it to switch back and forth?

zbloxzoid

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2023
    Terre Haute
    Thanks for this feedback. I'm looking for a holster for my Shield Plus, and Alien Gear is one of the makers I was considering (I use their Cloak Tuck 2.0 IWB for my S&W Model 66 and am very happy with it). I really like the idea of being able to go from IWB to OWB with the same shell. How easy is it to switch back and forth?

Very easy. It is 2 screws and 2 nuts for the IWB clip and paddle, just mounted on different sides. If you felt like it you probably could leave the IWB clip on. I had no issues with it. If you have the mag carrier attached you will have to take it off, though.

crookcountygo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 28, 2022
    Indiana
    Very easy. It is 2 screws and 2 nuts for the IWB clip and paddle, just mounted on different sides. If you felt like it you probably could leave the IWB clip on. I had no issues with it. If you have the mag carrier attached you will have to take it off, though.
    Much appreciated! I'll likely forego the mag carrier, so that probably won't be an issue.

zbloxzoid

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2023
    Terre Haute
    120+ hour update

Been wearing it all the time. Feels great now that I’m used to it. Still have not had issues, and on top of that it seems to not have any issues in quality. No wear, breaks, or loss of tension. When I get to 200 hours I’ll post an update. But as for now - it’s a recommend if you need something to try or something that works in appendix well for $45/$70.

Top Bottom