Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 18, 2011
    Pendleton
    I have been offered an AK and here are the specs provided:

-1974 Romanian WASR 10/63
    -Serial # FI1109
    -He said its never been fired by him and was purchased at Gander Mountain

I am familair with the AR family but not the AK. Can anyone let me know what a good price for this would be and maybe something about the serial #?

Thanks

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    The "1974" refers to the manufacture date of the military AK that was later turned into a parts kit to make the WASR-10.

WASR-10s can be hit or miss in terms of quality; I do not recommend buying one unless and until you can examine it firsthand and check for things like canted sights, furniture fit, and the presence of any rust or pitting that might have been finished over.

How much is he asking for it?

strokin7.3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 23, 2012
    Hancock County
    Look it over and check for everything shooter mentioned. if everything checks out offer him $450 and see if he takes it. my wasr has ran 100% since ive owned it

chromegrill

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2008
    If its clean thats the average price for a wasr. Canted sights and mag wobble are a couple things to watch for once you have it in your hands. Its hard to say exactly whats it worth without seeing it.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    I think that is not an unreasonable price, assuming there is nothing grossly wrong. When I was looking to pick up another AK a few weeks ago, for not a lot more you could buy a better brand, there were even some Saigas that were going for between 600-700.

But there is nothing inherently wrong with a WASR either, and buying it from someone directly for $500 with no shipping costs, FFL fees, 4473 etc is worth something. I was going to say no sales tax, but I am sure the seller factored that in and will send in to the Indiana dept of revenue...won't he?

Anyway, I am told by my AK fanatic friends that the build quality of WASRs has improved in recent years. I bought mine about five years ago when the canted sight syndrome was common, for just under $500 including shipping. The sights were OK, but the magazine did not seat firmly and that caused double feeds. The mag catch was too short and allowed the magazine to rock forward and back.

I replaced it and the thing has run like a champ ever since. Hundreds of rounds later, been thru several AK courses, sat out in rain, filled with Texas dust, just keeps on going. It does not have the fit and finish of a Rifle Dynamics build, but whoopee. It shoots reliably. When I ding the finish, a little Krylon fixes it right up. Gets rained on and gets a little rust, whoopee. Some steel wool and oil, wipe it off with solvent, paint, and re-oil.

About mag wobble -- it is not unusual for magazines to wobble from side to side. A little bit is OK, a lot is not.

WASR is not a fancy rifle, but as long as it is straight, $500 is a pretty good deal for a basic shooter/first AK. If you can get the guy to let you run a few rounds through it first, all the better.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    a year, year and a half ago I would have said that is way too high. Today that price is reasonable for a WASR.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    a year, year and a half ago I would have said that is way too high. Today that price is reasonable for a WASR.
    I have to agree with you - prices have really climbed in the last year. Been attending (many) gun shows and was a little surprised at the cost increase of the WASR AK's and regular SKS's in the last year.

Dsgnr_81

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 28, 2009
    Pendleton Indiana
    I think that is not an unreasonable price, assuming there is nothing grossly wrong. When I was looking to pick up another AK a few weeks ago, for not a lot more you could buy a better brand, there were even some Saigas that were going for between 600-700.

But there is nothing inherently wrong with a WASR either, and buying it from someone directly for $500 with no shipping costs, FFL fees, 4473 etc is worth something. I was going to say no sales tax, but I am sure the seller factored that in and will send in to the Indiana dept of revenue...won't he?

Anyway, I am told by my AK fanatic friends that the build quality of WASRs has improved in recent years. I bought mine about five years ago when the canted sight syndrome was common, for just under $500 including shipping. The sights were OK, but the magazine did not seat firmly and that caused double feeds. The mag catch was too short and allowed the magazine to rock forward and back.

I replaced it and the thing has run like a champ ever since. Hundreds of rounds later, been thru several AK courses, sat out in rain, filled with Texas dust, just keeps on going. It does not have the fit and finish of a Rifle Dynamics build, but whoopee. It shoots reliably. When I ding the finish, a little Krylon fixes it right up. Gets rained on and gets a little rust, whoopee. Some steel wool and oil, wipe it off with solvent, paint, and re-oil.

About mag wobble -- it is not unusual for magazines to wobble from side to side. A little bit is OK, a lot is not.

WASR is not a fancy rifle, but as long as it is straight, $500 is a pretty good deal for a basic shooter/first AK. If you can get the guy to let you run a few rounds through it first, all the better.

^^^This. saved me some typing. ^^^:D

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    I agree with what they all said. Wasr isn't my favorite, but it was my first ak, and I got a good one. I have some mag wobble in mine but it has never caused any issue, and isn't "excessive", just a bit more than other rifles. It's a shame things cost what they do! Just because it isn't a real pricey high end ak doesn't mean it won't go bang every time. Sometimes you will hear really bad stuff about them, and sometimes it's true, but it could be just fine! Good luck!

castle134

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    That's about average price I see when I run into one. Friend of mine has one and has had no problems out of it he likes it. From what I've seen its a OK rifle just watch for magazine wobble likea few already said. That would definitely kill deal for me

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    Folks, the WASR 10 is not the same beast as the WASR 10/63. The latter has all the evil features, ie bayo lug and removable (usually) slant break. The WASR 10 was the neutored version.

KoopaKGB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 99%
    99   1   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    South Bend
    Folks, the WASR 10 is not the same beast as the WASR 10/63. The latter has all the evil features, ie bayo lug and removable (usually) slant break. The WASR 10 was the neutored version.

A quick/easy Dremel cut to the muzzle nut and now you can put whatever aftermarket muzzle devices on that you desire. I haven't heard of a quick/easy way to fit a bayonet lug back on to the rifle. So yeah you're out of luck there. But hopefully thats not a deal breaker on an otherwise "good deal" in todays volatile "assault weapons" market. Folks always talk of the golden years when well made AK's were 200 bucks. Alas these are different years...

Heres a vid to help you if you do go the WASR-10 route.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFKXPDAwPew[/ame]

Top Bottom