• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dman65

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 25, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Let me say first I know nothing about these rifles so if at any time I sound stupid that is because I am J
    A buddy of mine has an American made AK47 style rifle and his concearn is the parts will not interchage with other (import) AK47 style rifles. He is currently on the road so he was not able to tell me the manufacturer of his rifle. Any input ????

-XL-

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Stocks are different if the receiver is milled versus stamped, otherwise they should be interchangeable

Barrells are pressed on, so not readily interchanged

Internals don't look like they pop out easily like on the AR, but with some work and some new pins, you ought to be able to swap the hammer, trigger, springs.

Bolt, bolt carrier, recoil guide rod/spring, gas tube, dust cover and handguard all come off easily and should be easily interchanged.

Be careful of the US part count when swapping. (You need 11 I think, but that includes Mags and mag floorplates).

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    In my experience all the parts are interchangable. AK parts even fit in my Saiga Shotgun with some minor adjustments. Worse case scenario you might have to use a file here or there to get them to fit but for the most part things should fit.

Also, keep in mind what -XL- said above regarding stocks.

-XL-

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    In my experience all the parts are interchangable. AK parts even fit in my Saiga Shotgun with some minor adjustments. Worse case scenario you might have to use a file here or there to get them to fit but for the most part things should fit.

Also, keep in mind what -XL- said above regarding stocks.

How hard is it to get those pins apart? Do you have to dremel them and install new ones?

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    which pins? the Rivets?

They are drilled out then you can search for a screw kit or get a rivet kit and have them pressed back in. but a few of the rivets you have to have the barrel pressed out to get to.

owen80

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2008
    Hendricks Co.
    Most AK's out there have the (AKM) pattern of parts. Most parts from an (AK47) will fit AKM styles. The Chinese weapons have a few parts that are different. The model is key to know and also AK's really do not wear out from normal sporting use anyway. If he is looking to store some replacement parts all the springs for the trigger will work on any model.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    How hard is it to get those pins apart? Do you have to dremel them and install new ones?

No do not dremel anything lol. There is a piece inside an ak called a shepherds hook. It must be removed and all the pins can just be pulled out after that.I have owned at least 8 aks and have done trigger work on every one...there is no dremel involved...ever. Romanian Kalashnikov Rifles

That shows you exactly what I am talking about :) If you have any ak questions feel free to PM me as I can probably answer them.

-XL-

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    No do not dremel anything lol. There is a piece inside an ak called a shepherds hook. It must be removed and all the pins can just be pulled out after that.I have owned at least 8 aks and have done trigger work on every one...there is no dremel involved...ever. Romanian Kalashnikov Rifles

That shows you exactly what I am talking about :) If you have any ak questions feel free to PM me as I can probably answer them.
    That's great info. Thanks. I was talking about the rear stock trunion, though. Those rivets don't look like they come apart easily.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    ah yes those do need to be drilled out. You can get new rivets at the 1500 or order online. They also sell bolts...i do not recommend them having tried both ways the rivet is a much more stable way.

-XL-

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    I saw the rivit and pin kits and it made me wonder just how hard it would be to bend one of those $75 flats...

Top Bottom