• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • twfshelton

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    The woods of green
    not sure if I would be happiest with the pistol or rifle version. Mainly for plinking, can't afford to shoot my AR anymore. Will need my ammo for the zombie apocalpse. Met a guy at the 1500 with a Romanian pistol and 11 mags, kicking myself in the a#@ for not buying it out of his backpack.

vitamink

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    Get the pistol, then stamp it.

picture.php

msr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 25, 2011
    Indianapolis - Broad Ripple
    I went to the range with my draco and Romak today, firing the draco for the first time. All I have to say is that the draco was a blast to shoot, but rather difficult to control. If you go that route, you should SBR it. The fireball was pretty impressive!

Tomfoolery

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Auburn IN
    If your reason for buying any rifle for a WtLGO, SHTF, ZomibeA, WROL, or whatever you shouldn't be concerned with legalities. I live in reality and reality tells me I should be concerned with legalities but for the sake of the topic.... well why not??

Pistol or Rifle in a Kalashnikov pattern rifle chambered in 7.62x39mm.... hmmm. My head is buzzing with options right now just because every detachable mag semi auto rifle I own is an AK pattern rifle. This is my call on this and you can take it for what it's worth.

AMD65.

003-5.jpg

Best of both worlds. You have a folding stock, forward grip, short 12.5" barrel (if you were to ever remove that hideous Tapco brake.... *realities*). It does everything a standard rifle does and can be everything all of the pistols are. If you can be patient get one that is actually built in Hungary. FEG is a top notch arsenal and I believe TGI imports FEG AMDs where they widen the mag well. The trunnion is also already a double stack trunnion also. CAI AMDs are built off of kits and I haven't seen anything bad from them yet too though. I believe they use a NDS receiver. I have absolutely nothing against NDS but I say if you are in the market for an AK and you don't KNOW a reputable builder go with an original arsenal receiver.:twocents:

Light

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 9, 2012
    Near Fort Wayne
    I would choose the rifle. Without a rear stock you're accuracy and ability to control recoil is greatly reduced. If you plan to have it for shtf then you'd want all the 300ish yards you can get from it. I'd get a dedicated pistol also if you have the funds.

Airborne18th

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2012
    You can still get a Egyptian Maadi or Chinese Mak 90 for under a grand with mags. They aren't as tough looking as the others but they are very reliable. It is the only made in china thing you should own. If you can get the rifle with out the slanted reciever you have more options in furniture. I would get the rifle for sure.

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    So the pistol version can b stamped meaning accept a stock? You'll have to do a little research and find out the type of rear trunnion that's in it first . You may have to swap the trunnion before you can put a stock on it .

Does country of origin matter? Not right now but that may change soon .

At this point in obamaland, I guess anything is better than nothing

HighStrung

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Pendleton
    So the pistol version can b stamped meaning accept a stock? Does country of origin matter? At this point in obamaland, I guess anything is better than nothing

I'm assuming what he meant by "stamped" was to get the $200 class III stamp for it and make it a short barreled rifle. Many people have done this with the draco including myself, but you cannot legally just throw a stock on it and be okay. As far as I know, country of origin wouldn't limit you in any way, after going thru this process you will be considered the manufacturer in the eyes of the atf. Note, there are a few other considerations if you decide to do this, such as having the gun engraved with your information on it, 7+ month wait for the atf to return you forms, additional fingerprinting, etc. My honest opinion, unless you're going to make it a SBR, buy the rifle from the start. Yes, the pistol version can be fun, but it is somewhat difficult to shoot accuratly and it's (or at least was to me) awkward to hold. That being said, if you are going to sbr the pistol, it's a really neat build and does get a lot of attention at the range :) I still need good optics for mine, but I had these laying around.

What I bought
    IMG_20110608_143901.jpg

Now
    IMAG0719.jpg

IMAG0717.jpg

Last edited:

Badmac 183

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2012
    not sure if I would be happiest with the pistol or rifle version. Mainly for plinking, can't afford to shoot my AR anymore. Will need my ammo for the zombie apocalpse. Met a guy at the 1500 with a Romanian pistol and 11 mags, kicking myself in the a#@ for not buying it out of his backpack.

Steel case .223 is the same price as steel cased 7.62x39?:dunno:

twfshelton

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    The woods of green
    High,

That is a sweet AK, started off like the one that midwest was selling at the 1500, other than theirs had a really funny looking cover over the end of the barrel, huge round shroud

Top Bottom