• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    The only thing the pistols are good for is form 1-ing, and adding a stock. Many have under folder trunnions already, and flat on the back for a hinge if you'd rather have a side folder.

msr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 25, 2011
    Indianapolis - Broad Ripple
    If you're gonna look at a CAI rifle, make sure it's in person. The WASR-10's often have canted sights and/or gas blocks. As for 47 vs. 74, You're looking mostly at the difference between better penetration (47) vs. better range/accuracy (74). I have two 47's and I am perfectly content with them, but I also don't think the 74 is a bad rifle nor the 5.45 a bad round. You used to be able to buy surplus 5.45 for cheaper than 7.62 but these days I doubt you'll see much difference, IF you can even find ammo. Bottom line, both are great rifles.

twfshelton

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    The woods of green
    sorry, but what is a WASR-10? and what is an AKM? I have always been an AR guy, clueless on AKs. Rounds seem plentiful and cheap for AKs, that is what has sparked my interest. No offense, but they all feel like junk to me. So I just don't want to make a bad purchase. I see egypt, hungry, bulgaria, chinese, "U.S.", romanian......

TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    Century is the importer, not the maker. They simply import rifles and rebuild them to 922r. Their workmanship is not always spectacular.

WASR-10 is a low end Century Arms rifle. It is an AKM 47.

AKM - AK Modernized (aka AK Type 4). The Type 3 AK was a milled receiver. The AKM/Type 4 is a stamped receiver. Most of the AKs you see are AKMs.

Grabbed the Russian from Wikipedia - (Russian: Автомат Калашникова Модернизированный; Avtomat Kalashnikova Modernizirovanniy or "Kalashnikov modernized automatic rifle")

Last edited:

msr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 25, 2011
    sorry, but what is a WASR-10? and what is an AKM? I have always been an AR guy, clueless on AKs. Rounds seem plentiful and cheap for AKs, that is what has sparked my interest. No offense, but they all feel like junk to me. So I just don't want to make a bad purchase. I see egypt, hungry, bulgaria, chinese, "U.S.", romanian......

A WASR-10 is the most common CAI Romanian AK on the market. They are imported parts kits build on US receivers, and they have a history of being hit or miss in terms of build quality. A well built WASR-10 or other Romanian variants like the SAR/Romak/CUR rifles are usually of better build quality, but are no longer imported (as far as I know), so they are harder to find.

An AKM is a "modernized" AK-47, in that it is built with a stamped receiver, not a milled receiver as is a true AK-47. Most modern AK variants are AKMs. Egyptian Maadi's, Yugoslavian M70s, and Chinese MAK-90s are all typically well built rifles. Bulgarian (Arsenal) AKs are the top of the line, and can either be milled or stamped versions.

EDIT: Wabbit beat me to it :D

Bmrdude

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    AK pistol = fun to make massive muzzle flash at night, but a waste of $ for anything related to accuracy. Go for a rifle!:)

TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    AK pistol = fun to make massive muzzle flash at night, but a waste of $ for anything related to accuracy. Go for a rifle!:)

Be nice now. I just finished building it (except for barrel pin) 20 mins ago.

amd65_assembled.jpg

msr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 25, 2011
    so a Bulgarian milled reciever is the top of the line then? What should something like that run, say pre prices going thru the roof?

Milled AKs are nice, but they are heavier and less adaptive to many of the modern stocks, which are used with stamped rear trunnions. If I were you I'd go with an Arsenal SGL21 or if you can find one, a converted Saiga (Russian) IZ-132. Both are stamped, but good quality rifles. Just make sure that if you find a Saiga, it's already converted, unless you want to do the conversion yourself.

Top Bottom