• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cop car

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Southside
    What AK folding stocks do you like and why? I'm sure this isn't an exhaustive list.. But these are the most common ones I can think of:

russian triangle
    crutch
    east German
    ak101 style poly
    magpul
    there was an aftermarket tubular right folding one I saw.

one of the issues I see are left folding stocks, and the use of optics. personally I'm leaning towards the $100 magpul folder.

TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    It depends on the rifle and the use, but I have AMD-65 wire side, Maadi Crutch, and VEPR 54 with a Zhukov. The AK101 and Triangle are more expensive and nice, but the Magpul is the easiest to install and remove (since it is not riveted). You can also resell it if you don't like it.

leftsock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 16, 2009
    Greenwood
    I like the AR-style stocks on my AKs. I have a couple of the Tapco ones, but will be upgrading to the Magpul offerings. Adjustable length, good cheek weld, and comfortable to use.

I found the crutch-style and underfolders stocks to be particularly uncomfortable and don't allow a good cheek-weld.

wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    I have the Magpul one and while I like the aesthetics, it slaps the absolute shlt out of my cheek. Don't know for sure that it's the stock causing it but haven't tried to figure it out.

cop car

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Southside
    I have the Magpul one and while I like the aesthetics, it slaps the absolute shlt out of my cheek. Don't know for sure that it's the stock causing it but haven't tried to figure it out.

Intersting. I wonder if it has to do with how it is mounted or how the bolt hits the mounting point while being fired.

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    You're probably thinking an ACE folder. They're easy if you don't have the tang or are willing to saw it off. On dracos you just drill and tap the rear plate. On any other ak you saw the tang off and install an internal block. Many companies make stocks that'll mount to the folding mechanism so you're not limited to the tubular style. One company makes a "triangle folder" to keep with the theme.

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    Cnc warrior has got quite a few choices now.... but a few more choices would be beryl folder or collapsing rear stock, svd-s lefthand folder... but all of these are a bit pricey

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    The Ak 100 poly folder is my absolute favorite, with the triangle left side folders being a pretty distant second. Then I'd lump any of the under and wire folders into 3rd, with the AMD-65 being at the back of the pack. I can get a decent cheek weld on almost anything (huge head) but the way the Hungarians are angled is aweful. Easy fix with one of those weld on AMD Tech cheek riser things though. I would love to try a Zenitco folder, just haven't ponied up the cash for one yet. Not a big fan of the AR stuff on an AK, and really hate permanently altering one for an ACE. Been there, done it, and a real pain in the ass to fix it if you don't like it.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    I used this one AK-47 Folding Stock Youth/Womens/Body Armor/Vest Model - Ak-47 on my WASR a few years ago and I have been happy with it. I have short arms and like this shorter stock. It fits receivers with the tang in place - I didn't want to do any cutting, just put a folding stock on. Since the tang is in place it is not as short an OAL as some when folded, but it works for me. Folds to right. It has been through a number of training sessions and courses, been banged around, no problems with it. $99.50

Same company makes the same stock in NATO length for $95.50. AK-47 Folding Stock - Ak-47

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    You need to buy that!!!

Gorgeous, ain't it. I've went so far as having it in my cart, credit card in hand, and chickened out :laugh:

Hold out ironwood designs is devolping them currently

I'm not knocking Iron Wood Design, he makes a fantastic product. But his lead times are ridiculous, communication is non existent, and he kind of runs his business like it's 1950 (print off an order form, mail in a check, etc....). Not to mention the real deal from Russia will probably be around the same price. I love his products, but I think the only reason the guy is still in business is there is a huge demand for what he makes, and no one else doing it.

MattCFII

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Danville
    The Ak 100 poly folder is my absolute favorite, with the triangle left side folders being a pretty distant second. Then I'd lump any of the under and wire folders into 3rd, with the AMD-65 being at the back of the pack. I can get a decent cheek weld on almost anything (huge head) but the way the Hungarians are angled is aweful. Easy fix with one of those weld on AMD Tech cheek riser things though. I would love to try a Zenitco folder, just haven't ponied up the cash for one yet. Not a big fan of the AR stuff on an AK, and really hate permanently altering one for an ACE. Been there, done it, and a real pain in the ass to fix it if you don't like it.
    +1

I would say the AK100 series polymer folder is the nicest but most expensive and hardest to add to a already build gun. I am actually a big fan of the Romanian/East German/Polish ones. They are pretty comfortable after they are paracord wrapped but still allow a optic to stay on the rail (something even the nicer polymer and triangle folders don't) and allow full access to both the safety and the bolt, which is the reason for the weird looking curve in it. Other right folding stocks like the Magpul will give you bolt access but not normally safety as well. They will drop into any standard thickness receiver, and if you get a Romanian one you can grind it down some to fit in the thicker ones like Chinese.

The Ace ones feel ok, but on a standard AK to not use the big block you need to cut off the rear tang which isn't a good long term idea in my book. That's also something that I don't like about a lot of other designs, they make the parts that go around the tang be bulkier than it should like the one linked previously here.

Last edited:

CarnageRush

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harrison County
    From favorite to least favorite:
    AK 100/triangle folder are about equal to me
    Underfolder
    Romy/EG/Polish side folder

I don't have any experience with US made folders. I'd love to have one of the Chinese side folders, really wonder how they feel.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    The Chinese bakelite folders feel pretty good. Better cheek weld than a wire or underfolder, but not as high as the triangle or series 100 poly's. They are really cool looking though, and I would love to have another one.

cop car

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Southside
    Honestly, out of all the options so far, it's looking like the ace side folder is one of the best options. You can make it fold to either side, and you can make just about any stock work with it with adapters. The only down side is cutting off the rear trunion tang. Is there a good source for rear tunions or American made read trunions?

Top Bottom