• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JStarr

Shooter
    Rating - 95%
    19   1   0
    Oct 11, 2011
    Portland
    Is there anyone who has some parts kits they'd like to get up and running, we should have a build party.
    I have a few kits and no tools and was looking to see if anyone was willing to get together for a party and build or take me along step by step.
    Thanks for looking.

IUKalash429

Bullet Hose
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Apr 6, 2019
    Rum Ham
    I've picked up an itch for an AK. suggestions?

I'd suggest some Cortizone-10.

All jokes aside, this is a super rough time to get into Kalashnikovs. Everything is crazy expensive and quality surplus parts kits have largely dried up ... the days of cheap and plentiful combloc goodness is long behind us.

That said, if you don't mind reaching far down into your pockets, there are options. But simply suggesting an AK is anything but. What are you looking for (milled or stamped; from a specific country; etc.)? What do you want to avoid (an underfolding stock; something like a Yugo that doesn't take standard AKM furniture; etc.)? What caliber(s) are you invested in or want to get into? Do you really want to build your first gun (and if so, do you want an OG barrel or are you okay with American-made; have you researched receiver options and wait times; etc.) vs. buying a factory finished gun?

There's a lot to choose from. I don't want to derail @JStarr's thread so maybe start a new one, or connect with me via PM and I'll happily walk you through some options.

J, I don't know if you're still down for a build these days but I'm still game and will bring the beer lol.

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 6, 2009
    Jasper county
    I would also be interested as I have an old romy parts kits tucked away somewhere I never got around to. Don’t have much in the way of build tools but could buy stuff if needed.

Bighoss91

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2020
    Milton
    I'm partial to the yugo guns so I have a lot of the tools for bulged trunnion guns. If I ever get my recreator receiver I would be down to party.

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 6, 2009
    Jasper county
    I'm partial to the yugo guns so I have a lot of the tools for bulged trunnion guns. If I ever get my recreator receiver I would be down to party.

I also have a Yugo m72 by Jra that has a bent receiver that needs fixed, actually ordered a new receiver but don’t have any of the tools, would love to bring it to a build party and fix it.

Bighoss91

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2020
    Milton
    I'm still waiting on a receiver I ordered and paid for February 2 second to complete a matching m72 kit I been holding on to for awhile.

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 6, 2009
    Jasper county
    Thanks, going to order one. I had looked at there website but I guess not hard enough. Normally would like chrome lined but I’ll take what I can get.

Bighoss, since you seem to know a lot about the Yugos, if I rebuild my M 72 I would love to add a side rail optics mount. What would fit? Haven’t seen anything specifically labeled for M72.

Last edited:

IUKalash429

Bullet Hose
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Apr 6, 2019
    Rum Ham
    I would love to add a side rail optics mount. What would fit? Haven’t seen anything specifically labeled for M72.

That's because Yugo-pattern AKs generally never used side rails. Newer Zastava USA ZPAPs have rails, but that's more a commercial decision for American consumers who love optics.

You can try a standard AKM-pattern side rail but will want to mock it up first, and it will likely take some customization because the vast majority of folks don't add side rails to their Yugos. You can also check out AK Master Mount for a removable side rail, Ultimak for an upper handguard rail, or TWS for a replacement railed top cover.

IUKalash429

Bullet Hose
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Apr 6, 2019
    Rum Ham
    I'm still waiting on a receiver I ordered and paid for February 2 second to complete a matching m72 kit I been holding on to for awhile.

Are you on the AK Files? User AKAshley is a newer customer service rep for Recreator and she is super responsive on the Files. I DM'd her regarding my own pending order and she replied with helpful info in about 30 minutes.

Needless to say they are incredibly backed up due to all the pre and post-election crap.

Bighoss91

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2020
    Milton
    I have seen the definitive side rail fitted but most, me included, use a master mount. There is nothing directly marked for m72s they are an odd duck but my favorite. I did a custom build for a competition gun of mine with the saberwerks kop but that was a lot of mill and lathe work. It can be seen in the AK show and tell.
    Are you on the AK Files? User AKAshley is a newer customer service rep for Recreator and she is super responsive on the Files. I DM'd her regarding my own pending order and she replied with helpful info in about 30 minutes.

Needless to say they are incredibly backed up due to all the pre and post-election crap.
    Not on the files but did email them and got a response in less than a day "there in process".

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 6, 2009
    Jasper county
    Thanks for all the info, I may just go with the master mount then. The issue right now is that the is bent in a banana shape, so using a side rail would probably be pretty off windage wise at 100m. The seems to function fine but sitting behind it you can see the bow, and it drives me crazy. Unfortunately did not notice till about a month after I purchased it, but would really like if there was a build party where I could fix it.

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    I always enjoy a good build party. I have all the tooling minus a long clearance press i can only fit 18" in mine (but great for riveting) So im in the market for 2nd or at least to upgrade. However im in the process of house hunting/moving so things are half packed up otherwise id be happy to host the event. I have two rarer kits im hoping to finish this year AK-15 (ak-12 except in 7.62x39) and OTS Groza kit some talent guys on the akfiles built and offered a few for sale (however i still need phase II of those parts to start it

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    Thanks, going to order one. I had looked at there website but I guess not hard enough. Normally would like chrome lined but I’ll take what I can get.

Bighoss, since you seem to know a lot about the Yugos, if I rebuild my M 72 I would love to add a side rail optics mount. What would fit? Haven’t seen anything specifically labeled for M72.
    Any akm rail would fit however id consider a PSL rail or m84 pkm optics rail i think they would look more correct but a little harder to source and the pkm is spot welded on

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I have a Saiga that I bought a long time ago that I bought thinking I would convert it. But, alas, I will be too far away for this. I need to just find someone to send it to for the conversion.

Top Bottom