• ...and so much more!
  • 2A-Hoosier23

ammo fiend
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 16, 2018
    Lawrence
    How do I go about threading my mak90s? I have 3
    In my opinion, unless you have the specific tools and skills, the best way is taking them to a qualified gunsmith who does. The most common thread pitch on AK's is 14-1 Left Hand which is what I had INGO user and gunsmith @AllenM thread my MAK-90 to.

I also had my Russian Saiga in 7.62x39 threaded by Allen, but due to the barrel diameter on the Saiga, he couldn't thread it to 14-1LH. Instead he threaded it to 1/2x28 RH and I picked out a .223 caliber brake which he drilled out to 30 cal.

You could potentially buy the tools and try it yourself but given the nature of the job I felt much more comfortable taking mine to a good gunsmith. Price was reasonable too.

One more thing to keep in mind, since your MAK90's didn't come with threaded muzzles they're probably also lacking the muzzle device detent pin (like mine). Without that pin, you'll need a crush washer to time the muzzle device -- basically install the device in the same way you would on an AR platform rifle. (This part is easy to do at home as long as you have basic tools)

Last edited:

Tbell7

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Aug 21, 2021
    Indianapolis
    I've had this Ban-era Chinese Norinco MAK-90 that I purchased from another ingoer for a little while and recently had it threaded for a muzzle device by AllenM. While searching for a good muzzle device I decided it was about time to get rid of the Clinton-compliant thumbhole stock too.

Before pic:
    View attachment 155165

...and after:

View attachment 155167
    View attachment 155166

I could've gone for the more accurate Chicom-look if I got Chinese-style furniture from Ironwood Designs, but since I've never owned a folding stock AK, I jumped on the tubular side-folding stock made by CNC Warrior (purchased through Bonesteel Arms). Really like it so far.
    The original wood looks like it's in fantastic shape! I like the mag as well. Side folders are always fun though.

ThrobSaggot

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2021
    Cass
    In my opinion, unless you have the specific tools and skills, the best way is taking them to a qualified gunsmith who does. The most common thread pitch on AK's is 14-1 Left Hand which is what I had INGO user and gunsmith @AllenM thread my MAK-90 to.

I also had my Russian Saiga in 7.62x39 threaded by Allen, but due to the barrel diameter on the Saiga, he couldn't thread it to 14-1LH. Instead he threaded it to 1/2x28 RH and I picked out a .223 caliber brake which he drilled out to 30 cal.

You could potentially buy the tools and try it yourself but given the nature of the job I felt much more comfortable taking mine to a good gunsmith. Price was reasonable too.

One more thing to keep in mind, since your MAK90's didn't come with threaded muzzles they're probably also lacking the muzzle device detent pin (like mine). Without that pin, you'll need a crush washer to time the muzzle device -- basically install the device in the same way you would on an AR platform rifle. (This part is easy to do at home as long as you have basic tools)
    Fantastic, thanks so much. Still learning about the AK game but I feel my taste developed quickly. More so than my ability to customize at least

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    I'm thinking I wanna swap out the plastic furniture on my PSAK. Just not sure if I wanna go for the red, nutmeg, or imitation bakelite.

2A-Hoosier23

ammo fiend
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 16, 2018
    Lawrence
    Fantastic, thanks so much. Still learning about the AK game but I feel my taste developed quickly. More so than my ability to customize at least
    There's some members on here that have a lot of knowledge about the platform and can help with any questions you might have when it comes to customization. And a few Mak90's is a pretty dang good start. My first AK was a Century C39v2, didn't do much research before buying lol

Last edited:

2A-Hoosier23

ammo fiend
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 16, 2018
    Lawrence
    The original wood looks like it's in fantastic shape! I like the mag as well. Side folders are always fun though.
    Thanks! Yeah, the previous owner took great care of this rifle, looked basically new when I bought it. I'm keeping the original handguards on for now, I like them. The thumbhole stock was just a bit too unwieldy. I can shoulder the rifle a lot quicker and more consistently with the new stock and grip.

IUKalash429

Bullet Hose
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Apr 6, 2019
    Rum Ham
    I'm thinking I wanna swap out the plastic furniture on my PSAK. Just not sure if I wanna go for the red, nutmeg, or imitation bakelite.

Surplus wood AKM furniture will also fit, if you want to give it a more authentic old-school look. As with any AK pattern gun, some minor fitting may be necessary, but if you can hold a piece of sandpaper then you're G2G.

Oh, and get that poor thing a cleaning rod! They're about $10 shipped for NOS surplus 15.75" rods on ebay.

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    I'd go the surplus furniture route if it was any cheaper but I really couldn't find any. I'll look at the rod for aesthetic purposes, otherwise I prefer to just use the cleaning rods I already have for actual use.

Tbell7

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Aug 21, 2021
    Indianapolis
    Here's a few Romys I put together...
    NewFoldingAK.gif

AKsold.gif

AKcomplete.gif
    What optic are you running on those?

Tbell7

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Aug 21, 2021
    Indianapolis
    Just came across this Russian VEPR chambered in .308. I haven't got a chance to shoot it yet unfortunately. I feel like a kid with no batteries for his toy....Don't really know a ton about it. Anything I should know?

Attachments

• 20210829_222718.jpg
      20210829_222718.jpg
      1.1 MB · Views: 11
    • 20210829_222623.jpg
      20210829_222623.jpg
      2.1 MB · Views: 10

Tbell7

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Aug 21, 2021
    Indianapolis
    Just came across this Russian VEPR chambered in .308. I haven't got a chance to shoot it yet unfortunately. I feel like a kid with no batteries for his toy....Don't really know a ton about it. Anything I should know?

Attachments

• 20210822_085725~2.jpg
      20210822_085725~2.jpg
      2.5 MB · Views: 13

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    I have one too. It's an awesome blaster for sure. The couple things I noticed is that ejected brass flies forward a lot more than anticipated and it's really hard on brass. It leaves deep indentions on the side of the cases. I've heard that it's designed to do that to prevent Russian citizens from reloading but I can't confirm that. I do know the Saiga 7.62x39 I used to have did the same thing. It's more accurate than people usually give it credit for too. Are you looking to customize or keep it stock? Mine doesn't look anything like that anymore. Check out CSSPEC for mags. They are well worth the money and none of mine needed fitting and all work very well.

Tbell7

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Aug 21, 2021
    Indianapolis
    I have one too. It's an awesome blaster for sure. The couple things I noticed is that ejected brass flies forward a lot more than anticipated and it's really hard on brass. It leaves deep indentions on the side of the cases. I've heard that it's designed to do that to prevent Russian citizens from reloading but I can't confirm that. I do know the Saiga 7.62x39 I used to have did the same thing. It's more accurate than people usually give it credit for too. Are you looking to customize or keep it stock? Mine doesn't look anything like that anymore. Check out CSSPEC for mags. They are well worth the money and none of mine needed fitting and all work very well.
    Wow that's interesting about the brass damage. Thanks for info! Any issues with the aftermarket mags? I would like to change some things on it for sure. I'd really like to see what you've done to yours? Is the only way to mount an optic via that side attachment? Thanks again!!

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Wow that's interesting about the brass damage. Thanks for info! Any issues with the aftermarket mags? I would like to change some things on it for sure. I'd really like to see what you've done to yours? Is the only way to mount an optic via that side attachment? Thanks again!!
    I have a handful of factory 10rd mags. The only aftermarket ones I've tried are the CSSPECS. PROMags are junk don't waist your money. I got 20 and a couple of their newer 25 rounders from CSSPECS and all work perfectly fine without fitting required. The best way to add an optic is the side rail. RS Regulate or AK Master Mount are the best one's I've used. Kreds Custom was the only real option at the time for stock adapters for the slant cut receivers there may be others now. Krebs Keymod handguard ( because M-lok didn't exist yet, yep I've had this rifle that long) US made flash hider, I can't remember what else. I'll see if I can't get some fresh pics of it later.

I take that back. M-lok existed but it was far from mainstream

ThrobSaggot

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2021
    Cass
    There's some members on here that have a lot of knowledge about the platform and can help with any questions you might have when it comes to customization. And a few Mak90's is a pretty dang good start. My first AK was a Century C39v2, didn't do much research before buying lol
    Thanks I try to do my due diligence before purchasing anything but with guns I have terrible impulse control sometimes. I have 2 norinco mak90s and 1 polytech mak90. I did have a norinco 84s underfolder but I had to flip that and pick up some other stuff :/ bittersweet. Still have mixed feelings about that one

Top Bottom