• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fenway

no longer pays the bills
    Jan 11, 2008
    behind you
    I have had the chance to take a couple of force on force classes that used guns converted to fire UTM and Code Eagle. One of the things about being in those classes that made it real for me was that I didn't want to get hit.

I haven't used airsoft since I was a kid but we had gas guns back then and spring guns. Nothing electric and if you got hit it might sting a bit but nothing like UTM.

Has anyone here taken a force on force class that used airsoft? Comments?

USMC_0311

Master
    Site Supporter
    Jul 30, 2008
    Anderson
    You all laugh if you want. I am 44 yrs old and have been "playing" with airsoft guns for a couple of years now. I will say "playing" because I have had no formal classes that used airsoft but with the training and experience I have had I can get the most out of "playing". With airsoft guns you can find exact matches in fit and feel of your carry gun (or battle rifle), you get the sensation of being hit, and you can practice a lot of the same mechanics needed. You can train right in your own home, how many of us practice tactics in our own homes? If SHTF good chance you will be home when it happens.

:yesway: Force on force with airsoft.

USMC_0311

Master
    Site Supporter
    Jul 30, 2008
    Anderson
    I'm not laughing I'm asking.. so thanks for your comments!

I didn't think you would laugh but I am sure the sight of me "playing" if you can imagine a visual. Now I am laughing.:laugh:

My son ambushed me the other day with his full auto MP5. Ouch

You would have thought I killed him when I made one shot to his butt from a good distance.:D He did flops

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    My son ambushed me the other day with his full auto MP5
    ...and I wondered why he sent his son with me to the other side of the range, on the first day he ever met me......... :dunno:

All in jest.... Patrick has excellent gun-handling skills..... :patriot:

USMC_0311

Master
    Site Supporter
    Jul 30, 2008
    Anderson
    ...and I wondered why he sent his son with me to the other side of the range, on the first day he ever met me......... :dunno:

All in jest.... Patrick has excellent gun-handling skills..... :patriot:

I know he really enjoyed his time with you on the range, talks about it all the time.:yesway:

With airsoft you can get the whole family involved, even if they don't want too. I won't tell my fate when I made the same shot on my wife. Double ouch

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    I recently did active shooter training with several local agencies using airsoft. They sting more than the old spring guns but nothing like a sim round or even a paintball. The upside was that by using airsoft we could use the actual schools themselves which was a real eye opener.

IMO, they are useful and do get the general point across. However, they are not nearly as realistic as a sim round. They really shine in places you don't want to get paint all over.

Joe

glock34

Sharpshooter
    Nov 18, 2008
    Fishers
    It perks my interest everytime I hear something about using airsoft for training. It does amaze me on how high some of the prices are. I just found a glock 34 airsoft for $377. I know they are all not this high so still interesting.

MattCFII

Sharpshooter
    Jul 12, 2008
    Danville
    I used to be big into "milsim" airsoft and now mostly use it for training. Most of my training is now done with airsoft since I can do thing with it that I can't do at my normal range (MCFG) like movement and draw from a holster in my garage with airsoft. Plus it's cheap, even less than a .22 trainer. It probably breaks out to 60% airsoft, 30% live fire, 10% dry fire. I first got into it for a way to plink when I was in College. I can say that I do think they are useful for training. Yes you can get at some 120'+ ranges where they can be sometimes hard to feel but really they sting pretty good under that. I think one advantage they have over sims is that they don't require extra armor besides for ANSI rated goggles (NOT shooting glasses!) and maybe a mouth guard or PB mask.

I really want to make it to Shay's force on Force next month. I'd also liike to get a training partner or group going with airsoft force on force.

Yes it can be expensive for some models like my computer controlled custom AKs that probably easily cost more than my WASR10 each (but they have pretty realistic function over a standard electric gun requiring bolt manipulation and malfunction simulation) that but my metal slide Glock 26 was around $100 and I'm selling an underfolder AK for around $60 right now.

My main go to to AK, a MAK90, and it's airsoft twin before it too got the Phantom flash hider:
    100_1270.jpg

Me at a "milsim" airsoft event. Yes I was playing G.I. Joe as a grown up but I do think I learned some good tactical lessons and agree it doesn't hurt as much as paintball but you get the point across. Definitely some of it doesn't cross over but it's still more fun IMO than playing First Person Shooters on the computer.
    100_0771.jpg

Last edited:

Tinman

I'm just enjoying the show!
    Hey buddy, too bad I didn’t see this before Sunday, I’d have brought down my Airsoft pistol and shot you :D

A few advantages to airsoft, their easy to get, relatively cheap to feed, you can run them in places that won’t allow marking cartridges, and they do hit a little bit softer, so you can run in a tee shirt and shorts if you want, even at close range.

There is a level of pain there, so if you’re not all padded up, it will remind you “you screwed up”, and make you not want to get hit again. They are also good for working some of your stuff in the basement since they are fairly quite, easy to contain and clean up.

Southnarc is using airsoft almost exclusively in his AMIS course I took a couple weeks ago. It let us work inside real structures right in town without damaging the structure, or alerting the neighbors causing an unnecessary police visit. They were accurate enough for what we were doing, and reliable enough to be effective. All in all, I’d say it’s a good training tool for certain situations. Here’s where I got mine at:

AirSplat.com - AirSoft Gun Warehouse -

Take a look at the Gas Blowback Pistols, particularly the KJW metal Glocks. From what I’ve been able to determine, they seem to be the most reliable for the money.

Here's a hit I took at the AMIS course. The pic is about 4 days post hit, it broke the skin a little, and left about a 2 inch diameter bruise. I got hit from about 18 inches away in the dark just above the elbow on bare skin.

IMG00057-20090922-0835.jpg

Tinman....

VN Vet

Master
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    It just happened that before I read this thread I had ordered my first air gun. A CO2 Pistol by Umarex USA, a Walther PPK/S. Since I just received it today I have not shot it as yet, but I hope it will be a good 10 yard plinker. I have a nice woods behind my new home to set up tin cans. I bought mine from Pyramyd Air Gun Mall. Ordered it Sunday, shipped Yesterday and received today by UPS Ground regular shipping. Super quick.

FreedomTrainer

Plinker
    Mar 11, 2009
    Freedom to train

I discovered the benefits of training with airsoft years ago. It not only allows you the ability to train in your own home it can save you a lot of $$.

If I can get a spot I will be back at the Indy 1500 Oct. 23-25 so stop by and we can talk about airsoft training.

mercop

Expert
    Dec 21, 2008
    PA
    Ask after the class this weekend. Nothing teaches like pain. As far as I know I was the first officer in MD to bring them into training about 6-7 years ago for our department. Definately changed the way we trained. We do a pistol class that uses nothing but AS.

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    I love airsoft training I have a few pistols and a crazy hopped up m4 carbine(for sale BTW) the best place IMO to find them is redwolf airsoft. they are based in hong kong but have the absolutely nicest guns and most guns and accesories I've found. anybody that wants to do anything in b-town let me know.

Top Bottom