• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Protest

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2010
    SW Michigan
    What, if any, is the age where an Indiana citizen may own and/or use a rifle? I looked in the law and didn't see any, so there may not be an age.

Protest

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2010
    SW Michigan
    The age to buy and own a rifle is 18 years of age.
    But to carry and use? Pardon me for being so incredibly dumb. Why are children's rifles sold in Indiana? I'm thinking of this photo from SavageEagle

4-17-102AMarch012.jpg

Greg.B

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Evansville
    As others have said; 18 to buy or own.

Under 18 to possess if participationg in certain activities (Hunter's Ed, training courses, hunting, etc.) under the supervision of an adult (qualified instructor, parent/guardian etc.)

For more information, you can refer to Indiana Code 35-47-10

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    For more information, you can refer to Indiana Code 35-47-10

This was brought up to me as well by a member of LE on this board. He did say he seen no problem with it and that he wouldn't have taken any action on it, but there is some serious gray area on this matter.

(6) A child who:
    (A) is on real property that is under the control of the child's parent, an adult family member of the child, or the child's legal guardian; and
    (B) has permission from the child's parent or legal guardian to possess a firearm.
    This seems to be the key section allowing the child to carry, but it's not exactly clear. While "real property" would be property owned by the parent or guardian, public property such as a street, sidewalk, state/national park/monument is also "owned" by the parent or guardian because we pay taxes for it and if it's owned by any government it is, in effect owned by us because we "own" (so to speak) the government.

It would be really hard to prosecute but tricky to defend. Personally, I don't see any problem with it so long as the child is 100% supervised by the adult, and the child isn't toting the gun for the first time.

The member who was parent to the children (who I will not name unless he does so himself) said that his children had started training with firearms at 4y/o both and kept very good watch over them the entire time. I would call them the model for this type of case.

However, IANAL and YMMV. Nor did ISAAHILN. :D

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008

^ Flirting with Disater Here ^

Let's pretend this photo was taken in Indiana...

The Children are not (apparently)
    - attending a firearms safety or hunter education course,
    - hunting or trapping,
    - engaging in an organized competition,
    - practicing for or participation in a performance by an organized group under 501(c)(3) of the IRS code,
    - going to or from any of the above listed activities,
    - on real property controlled by parent/adult family member,
    - at their residence.

So (apparently) these children are comitting

Dangerous Possession of a Firearm - a Class A misdemeanor, or Class C felony if the child has a prior conviction under this section,

and the parents are committing

Dangerous Control of a Firearm - a Class C felony, or Class B felony if the adult has a prior conviction under this section.

I hope there was no ammo nearby - otherwise the gun would be considered "loaded" under IC 35-47-10-4.

GREAT IDEA to get kids involved in shooting at a young age, but STUPID idea to get them a criminal record so young, and the parents themselves commiting felonies.

Indiana Code 35-47-10

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 6, 2009
    Jasper county
    ^ Flirting with Disater Here ^

Let's pretend this photo was taken in Indiana...

The Children are not (apparently)
    - attending a firearms safety or hunter education course,
    - hunting or trapping,
    - engaging in an organized competition,
    - practicing for or participation in a performance by an organized group under 501(c)(3) of the IRS code,
    - going to or from any of the above listed activities,
    - on real property controlled by parent/adult family member,
    - at their residence.

So (apparently) these children are comitting

Dangerous Possession of a Firearm - a Class A misdemeanor, or Class C felony if the child has a prior conviction under this section,

and the parents are committing

Dangerous Control of a Firearm - a Class C felony, or Class B felony if the adult has a prior conviction under this section.

I hope there was no ammo nearby - otherwise the gun would be considered "loaded" under IC 35-47-10-4.

GREAT IDEA to get kids involved in shooting at a young age, but STUPID idea to get them a criminal record so young, and the parents themselves commiting felonies.

Indiana Code 35-47-10

Agreed. I think it good that these kids are involved in shooting and have there own rifles, but I wouldn't have let them walk around at a 2A march with them.

CSK22

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    Stoplight City
    I wondered this very thing about those kids I saw in the picture. I didn't know if they were complete rifles, or airsoft or something. I believe it is a mother and a son though correct?

Anyway 18 to purchase, younger to own as long as under adult supervision on certain properties.

kwatters

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Central Indiana
    I wondered this very thing about those kids I saw in the picture. I didn't know if they were complete rifles, or airsoft or something. I believe it is a mother and a son though correct?

Anyway 18 to purchase, younger to own as long as under adult supervision on certain properties.

could be a mom and son, there are magazines in those weapons...

Top Bottom