Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    "
    The sad thing is that many of those against are probably against hunting of
    [...]
    I'
    m all for a reasonable debate on the topic. I have little tolerance for people whose extent of intellectual horsepower is name-calling. It goes a long way to giving insight into the depth of your argument.

1) You saying that I'm for HPRs in all areas, which would presumably include urban areas, is nothing more than your straw man.
    2) Speaking of reason and debate, were you at least aware that you can currently hunt all other legally huntable mammals (except for deer) with any rifle you choose, including such powder puffs as .458 Winchester Magnum?
    3) And, while we're at it, were you aware that the proposal only legalizes in rifles the exact same cartridges (minimum caliber .243 and minimum case length of 1.16") currently legal to hunt deer with in handguns only?

What do you have?
    Oh yeah, straw men and gripes about "name calling," and fear, that's what.

spaniel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    Lizton
    1) You saying that I'm for HPRs in all areas, which would presumably include urban areas, is nothing more than your straw man.
    2) Speaking of reason and debate, were you at least aware that you can currently hunt all other legally huntable mammals (except for deer) with any rifle you choose, including such powder puffs as .458 Winchester Magnum?
    3) And, while we're at it, were you aware that the proposal only legalizes in rifles the exact same cartridges (minimum caliber .243 and minimum case length of 1.16") currently legal to hunt deer with in handguns only?

What do you have?
    Oh yeah, straw men and gripes about "name calling," and fear, that's what.

1) You never spoke out against that. Everyone on these threads talks like they want everything available everywhere.
    2) Don't care. I never see another hunter during those seasons, and that's the point. Hunter density is way, way higher during firearms season and therefore the danger is up. I've already been accused of shooting at someone's deer stand when it was someone else. I don't see the yahoos who were actually responsible on the next property having longer ranged weapons helping the situation.
    3) That is a stupid law and should be changed.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    In other words, you ASSUMED.
    When you talk about reason, then turn right around and say you don't care, you've made it clear that you're not really interested in discussion after all.
    Right, a stupid law, stupid because you don't like it, even though nothing earth-shaking has happened from it.
    Thanks for proving all of my points perfectly, hoplophobe.

spaniel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    Lizton
    In other words, you ASSUMED.
    When you talk about reason, then turn right around and say you don't care, you've made it clear that you're not really interested in discussion after all.
    Right, a stupid law, stupid because you don't like it, even though nothing earth-shaking has happened from it.
    Thanks for proving all of my points perfectly, hoplophobe.

Your lack of cognitive skills to understand what I wrote, given that your only response to someone who disagrees with you is to call them names, is not surprising.

No matter what one's side is on this issue, if all you can do is call people names, you instantly lose all credibility. The internet is full of overgrown adolescents.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    You can lecture others as lacking cognitive skills the very moment that you can explain your multiple self-contradictions.
    Your "well reasoned" points reveal themselves for exactly what they really were after all: fear
    As for the name calling, if the shoe fits, wear it.

spaniel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    Lizton
    You can lecture others as lacking cognitive skills the very moment that you can explain your multiple self-contradictions.
    Your "well reasoned" points reveal themselves for exactly what they really were after all: fear
    As for the name calling, if the shoe fits, wear it.

Fear? LOL. I'd feel worse about my position if those on here on the other side weren't so heavily weighted to name-calling and poor ability to understand and debate a reasonable line of discussion. Frankly I find it hard to respond to your post because you can't seem to demonstrate a basic understanding of my previous post, you key in on one or two phrases and obviously can't comprehend a complete thought.

You claim that my statement "I don't care" means I'm not interested in discussion, but any reasonable person, actually reading my post, would understand that "I don't care" because people shooting high power rifles during coyote season when I never, ever see another hunter is a totally different issue than during deer season when I have 20 hunters within a square mile of me.

But I guess you're right...I'm afraid of unthinking rednecks like yourself launching hard high-velocity bullets with the unfounded thought that that they are somehow longer range but safer than shotgun slugs. After all, we already have a thread now started on SMKs as hunting bullets...which I have personally witnessed ricochet long distances off terrain that stopped shotgun slugs in 50-200 yards...you can join the ignore list. See I actually have experience with rifle round ricochets traveling long distances...multiple events...during target shooting...in an area that is shotgun/ML only. Never have problems with the high density shotgun/ML hunting, but off-season rifle shooting there are plenty of issues with people sending ricochets over peoples' heads and through their houses/buildings. Now increase the number of shots by allowing during the season...not an irrational concern.

I'm open to considering a north/south type of split to account for terrain differences in the state. Lots of precedent for that.

The notion that rifles don't cause safety issues is a fallacy, it doesn't take a lot of searching to verify this if you are actually impartial on the issue.

Last edited:

Whitsettd8

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Floyd Co
    Those unthinking rednecks can already launch high powered projectiles legally. Look at a 358 hoosier or .358wssm 358 bfg all push projectiles around 2600 fps the same as a .308win.
    Rifle rounds like 7mm .300wm can be legally shot out of a 14 inch barrel Thompson pistol. Do I think people need to deer hunt with a 50 bmg or 30 round mags no; but am I gonna screw over the other 99.9% of hunters in the state because that .1 percent might ?

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Uh oh!
    I'm on the ignore list now.
    waaa2

Fear? LOL. I'd feel worse about my position if those on here on the other side weren't so heavily weighted to name-calling and poor ability to understand and debate a reasonable line of discussion.
    [...]
    But I guess you're right...I'm afraid of unthinking rednecks like yourself launching hard high-velocity bullets with the unfounded thought that that they are somehow longer range but safer than shotgun slugs.[...]

The bold is mine.
    Ah, how wonderfully ironic that someone decries name-calling in others, then resorts to a slur of his own.
    And, while we're at it, let's weigh the pejorative value of the late great Colonel Jeff Cooper's (accurate) term "hoplophobe" with "unthinking redneck," shall we?
    Oh, and how come this "unthinking redneck" is able to ask the question that spanny does not: What about Indiana makes rifle bullets dangerous, while those same rifle bullets are no problem in Kentucky, Pennsylvania, and Wisconsin?
    But then, I'm on ignore now (and probably double secret probation, too!), so Mr. Reason and Debate is now incapable of reading that he just got called on being a giant hypocrite.
    That's exactly the sort of behavior to expect from someone who emotes rather than thinks, who runs and hides when confronted with facts and real world results, taking shelter in fear and wild speculation.

Last edited:

Firepower50

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2015
    NW Indiana
    I like the idea as long as we are educated and safety conscious while in the field. I've read many story's in Wisconsin related to rifle accidents while hunting. Some folks get complacent with safety and accidents happen.

llamant

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2010
    The suggestions of allowing HPR only in the south make me wonder if any of you have ever been out of Tipton County, or seen at least seen a topo map of the rest of northern Indiana.

dodgetoyz

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    I am very hopeful this goes through. I have limited funds and it would be nice to have one gun for multiple animals/seasons. I love the idea of a 308 ar but hesitate to purchase until this is settled.

Whitsettd8

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Floyd Co
    I am very hopeful this goes through. I have limited funds and it would be nice to have one gun for multiple animals/seasons. I love the idea of a 308 ar but hesitate to purchase until this is settled.

Yeah I just dumped like 2.5k on a high end build really hope it passes.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    When will we know for sure if its changed, I know guys selling there 44s Anand buying rifles already

I answered this on another thread, but according to the DNR website, the final decision will come in May of this year.
    They will be taking public comments March through April.
    I already have a Marlin 1884 lever gun in .45 Colt that I've taken three deer with so far, but I also have a Ruger M77 .30-06 that I would just love to finally bring to the hunt.
    keeps fingers crossed that it will pass*

cedarthicket

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 3, 2012
    I answered this on another thread, but according to the DNR website, the final decision will come in May of this year.
    They will be taking public comments March through April.
    Oldpink is correct, except that you can make public comments until the deadline of midnight March 25, the date of the last public hearing. The NRC will meet in May to announce their decision to adopt, not adopt, or adopt with modification. [May 19, 2015 10:00 a.m., EDT (9:00 a.m., CDT), Ballroom, Garrison, Fort Harrison State Park, Indianapolis]

See link to updated Timeline (updated 2-18-15). It also shows times and locations of the 3 public hearings. You may also want to read the fine print.

http://www.in.gov/nrc/files/lsa14453_timeline.pdf

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Excellent on you for getting all those details, cedar.
    If I'm off that particular day, I just may go by there to speak up.

Top Bottom