• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • One Shot One Kill

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 15, 2014
    Near The Dunes
    About 4-5 months ago me and my girlfriend got a wonderful golden retriever puppy that we love. I'm interested in trying out dove hunting and possibly some waterfowl, and while I've been able to train the basics commands (sit, stay, lay down, come, etc.) I'm entirely lost when it comes to training retrieving. I can't even get our dog to bring a tennis ball back to me, she's not interested in fetch it seems.

So, long story short, I'm hoping that anyone on here can direct me to any helpful resources and offer advice. Unfortunately since money is short right now, professional training is not an option so I'd like to try to keep this DIY.

Thanks!

RMC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 7, 2012
    McCordsville
    Find a toy that he likes and start playing games with him like roughhousing with it and getting him to follow the hand it is in. Then when that is accomplished you can tie a string to it and toss it a few feet away for him to chase then as you pull the toy back, start associating the fetch command. Don't do this to the point the dog gets tired. A few times per session is enough. Also, if this is a hunting/working dog, it needs to be YOUR dog and not the family pet. You can't expect a dog to be both and I have never seen a dog that was good at it. In fact, it's best to work with the dog where there are no other people or other distractions. You must be the provider and do the feedings, cleaning, and discipline.

It may take a while for a dog to get used to picking up birds with loose feathers like dove or pheasant. My lab hated it at first because he'd get a mouthful of feathers that stuck to his tongue and teeth. Dogs really don't catch on until they're a few years old so be patient.

mtinner

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2014
    somewhere in ohio
    if the dog won't even fetch a tennis ball, probably won't be a good retriever. Some have that strong instinct built in and some don't. I agree, the dog will be a good family pet or a good retriever, not both.

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    if the dog won't even fetch a tennis ball, probably won't be a good retriever. Some have that strong instinct built in and some don't. I agree, the dog will be a good family pet or a good retriever, not both.

As much as I don't like it, this is very true. If a dogs ball drive isn't good, I wouldn't expect a very good performance in the field...even with professional training.
    Ask some of our LEO how selective the PD's are selecting K9s. The dogs instincts have to be there.

1mil-high

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 30, 2013
    Indianapolis
    As much as I don't like it, this is very true. If a dogs ball drive isn't good, I wouldn't expect a very good performance in the field...even with professional training.
    Ask some of our LEO how selective the PD's are selecting K9s. The dogs instincts have to be there.

This is somewhat true, but ball drive doesn't all have to be instinct. You can build a dog's drive. Someone already said that you have to decide what you want out of the dog. If it is a work dog, then it is only a work dog. Same is true if you decide that it is a family pet.

Think of it this way. If your dog's "paycheck" is you praise and approval or getting to play with you then he will do what it takes to get that. If it is a work dog then the dog must work in order to get this "paycheck." If your dog gets affection and play time without working, then why would he have any motivation? If you boss sent you a paycheck every two weeks whether or not you showed up, most people would not work.

That being said, you can build a dog's drive with isolation. Leave the dog crated most of the day. The only times he comes out is to go to the bathroom and eat. Both of those things he must do right away and then go back to the crate. Essentially ignore the dog besides the necessities. Do this for about two weeks and then bring him out and train with him. When he does what you want him to treat him like he is the best dog on the planet. Make the praise short, but make sure he knows your excitement. Do this a few times and then back to the crate. Keep this up and the dog will know what it has to do in order to get attention.

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    Back in the day, over a period of 15 years, I raised and train English Setters strictly to be used as hunting dogs (Quail, Grouse, and Pheasant). I used the "forced retrieve" method in training all of my dogs to retrieve. The financial investment is minimal (time investment is not)......all you need is a training bench (keeps the dog off of the ground for better control during training) which you can make using two saw horses and a sheet of plywood, and a few training dumbies. There is a ton of info on this training method on the internet, so I won't try and go into all of it, besides what works for some dogs might not work for all dogs....you have to learn to read your dog.

Note: I don't believe "ball drive" is that important. I know the English Setters that I owned had absolutely no interest in chasing and retrieving a ball. Certain dog breeds out there have retrieving in their blood...... You just have to bring it out of them.

:twocents:

Last edited:

One Shot One Kill

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 15, 2014
    Near The Dunes
    I appreciate those with experience contributing advise, I will look into it, thanks. Those that are throwing out opinions with no facts... *fart noise*. My dog will chase after the ball and MAY bring it back 2-3 times, but eventually gets bored and chases after it and then just looks at it like "um, come get this one for me". I doubt this will in any way affect her training. Instinct is not needed to drive into a dog an idea, or condition them to learn a behavior. Just way too much patience.

Indy_Hunter68

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    Greenfield
    ^
    Back in the day, over a period of 15 years, I raised and train English Setters strictly to be used as hunting dogs (Quail, Grouse, and Pheasant). I used the "forced retrieve" method in training all of my dogs to retrieve. The financial investment is minimal (time investment is not)......all you need is a training bench (keeps the dog off of the ground for better control during training) which you can make using two saw horses and a sheet of plywood, and a few training dumbies. There is a ton of info on this training method on the internet, so I won't try and go into all of it, besides what works for some dogs might not work for all dogs....you have to learn to read your dog.

Note: I don't believe "ball drive" is that important. I know the English Setters that I owned had absolutely no interest in chasing and retrieving a ball. Certain dog breeds out there have retrieving in their blood...... You just have to bring it out of them.

:twocents:
    ^This. My brother used this method to train his Griffon. Make sure you bring your patience. Oh, and your gf may not like it at first. Can seem a little brutal, but it works!

DWS

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    Sheridan
    ..... I agree, the dog will be a good family pet or a good retriever, not both.

I had a 50/50 Lab and Golden Retriever. For 12 years he not only was the best damn pheasant dog I ever hunted over - when not in the field he was a dedicated and loving family dog like no other. My current 2 y/o AKC Lab is also a fantastic family dog and working out well in the field this far. My dad had shorthairs growing up and all were outstanding bird dogs as well as serving loyally at home as the family dog.

Yes - some dogs have it and some dogs don't - but there is absolutely nothing hat says they cannot serve dual purpose. I've got damn near 4 decades worth of dogs that prove that...

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Yesterday I put down my 14.5 year old lab. She hunted from Florida to Canada, salt and fresh, pheasant, quail and in the end grouse. Lived in big cities and wilderness areas. Best hunting dog, companion, security guard ever........and my daughter drove 500 miles to be here when we put her down. Not including your working dog in the family is a choice you make, not the dog. That's like saying you can't have a job and be a Father.

As for patience, my two year old lab is the sweetest, goofiest, scooby doo-chanelling dork ever. He has required much more time then my little female did. It's on you to connect with your dogs.

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    I had a 50/50 Lab and Golden Retriever. For 12 years he not only was the best damn pheasant dog I ever hunted over - when not in the field he was a dedicated and loving family dog like no other. My current 2 y/o AKC Lab is also a fantastic family dog and working out well in the field this far. My dad had shorthairs growing up and all were outstanding bird dogs as well as serving loyally at home as the family dog.

Yes - some dogs have it and some dogs don't - but there is absolutely nothing hat says they cannot serve dual purpose. I've got damn near 4 decades worth of dogs that prove that...

Couldn't agree more. All three of my dogs have been pets who hunt. And two of them have been outstanding field dogs and one was good in the field but a heck of a retriever. She had one duck retrieve that had to be across 1/2 mile of open water. Caught it and brought it back.

On the retrieving thing. All of my dogs have been some sort of pointing breed. Those are not known as the best retrievers. But what I always did was play a little fetch with the dog. Make it progressively more difficult for them and they learned the game.

I also didn't use a tennis ball. I would work up a pheasant wing onto a wooden dowel or recently I bought a firm rubber quail with a built in string on the end that makes chucking it much easier on the arm. I toss it into woods, deep grass, water, you name it and let the dog look until he finds it now.

When younger I get him to do some easy short retrieves, praise him generously when he got it and especially when I could get it away from him. Most dogs will want to keep it once they find it. It's theirs! But once they figure out that they like looking more than they like chewing on it they will start bringing it to you and you can up the game.

That's my method. More fun for me than the force retrieve method and I think the dog liked it better too.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Yesterday I put down my 14.5 year old lab. She hunted from Florida to Canada, salt and fresh, pheasant, quail and in the end grouse. Lived in big cities and wilderness areas. Best hunting dog, companion, security guard ever........and my daughter drove 500 miles to be here when we put her down. Not including your working dog in the family is a choice you make, not the dog. That's like saying you can't have a job and be a Father.

As for patience, my two year old lab is the sweetest, goofiest, scooby doo-chanelling dork ever. He has required much more time then my little female did. It's on you to connect with your dogs.

Well said! Maybe I have been spoiled by labs but it is hard for me to imagine a working dog not being a great family dog as well. Frankly, I think anyone that chooses one over the other is cheating their dogs and themselves.

Top Bottom