• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brick House

Plinker
    Feb 13, 2011
    Plainfield IN.
    Last Christmas my wonderful wife bought me a Thompson Center Omega .50 Cal Muzzleloader, Camo with the Thumbhole stock and weather guard barrel. It has Tru Glo sights and I sighted it in hitting 1 inch high at 50 yards and pretty close to dead on at 100 yards, using 100 grains of pyrodex pellets and 250 grain Shock Wave Sabots. I would like to put a Scope on it before next Deer season. I have been looking at Nikon Scopes, and dont want to spend more than $200. I like the scopes with the reticles for different yardages. My buddy has a CVA with a Leuapold scope, and was hitting 2 litre bottles every shot at 200 yards. I feel my T/C is much better Quality so I think a 250 yard shot is not out of the question. Any suggestions from the black powder guys ?? Im not dead set on a Nikon, thats just what I have looked at so far.:)

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    I have the same set up, and i use a nikon omega scope. might be a bit outside of your budget, and is not 100percent friendly on getting it set up. but if you are one that likes to shoot, and can shoot enough to match the scope to your rifle then its a hellova good set up. my first deer i took at 165 yards on a moving deer from a kneeling unsupported position. i have fired several 200 yard 5 shot groups i can cover w/ my fist and the scope makes me confidant out to 250 yards.

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    I bought the Whitetail classic, best bang for the buck, Its MIL and I use the dots as a BDC, just me. I know a few that have buckmasters and Nikon Omegas, they really like them and the rings are dead on, just have to spend some real time behind them to hone your dope.

opplanet-nikon-omega-riflescope-reticle-bdc250.jpg

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    let me add that the nikon omega was developed/calibrated w/ an omega 28 inch barrel using 250 grain shockwaves and 150 grains of pelleted pyrodex, so you should be able to match things up quite nicely. i know i was and am all the better for it. i dont even take a shotgun hunting because i have so much confidance in my ML

usmcdjb

Sharpshooter
    Jan 16, 2010
    Wabash County
    :+1: for the NIkon Omega (but have a ProStaff that's just about the same)

I have one on my Encore. And though I haven't put it to the test, I really believe in it. I took my shotgun out opening morning last year, and missed a chance at a shot on a nice buck that I could have easily taken with my Encore with Omega scope.

If it's what you want, you might check out natchez - they have some refurbs for well under $200, and even had a new one just under $200 on sale right now.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    all good opinions. i use a buckmasters with the mil recticle like redneckmedic was discribing. to me i dont care where my holdover marks are as long as i take the time to find out where they are.

Bullfrog80

Marksman
    Feb 22, 2011
    Terre Haute
    I have been very pleased and put plenty of meat in the freezer using a Bushnell Banner shotgun scope 3-9x x 40mm. It has seen a lot of abuse and still holds true all for under a 100 dollars. However the longest shot I've taken while hunting was about 180 yards.

Brick House

Plinker
    Feb 13, 2011
    Plainfield IN.
    I had a Banner on my Remington 870 and it was an Awesome Scope, but I never shot over about 80 yards with it, I didnt know if it would be a good scope for 200 yards or more.

Top Bottom