• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    This looks kinda nasty, but it's also very interesting.

Anyone ever do this?

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X48zTVasE7o&feature=relmfu[/ame]

-ski-

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    I looked into this a few years back. The problem with eating acorns is reducing the tannins enough usually by soaking and washing. The processing is worth doing if you're about to starve, but otherwise not.

Some acorns are "sweeter" with lower tannins; chinquapin oaks, for example. Deer typically prefer these sweeter acorns and hunters plant them in food plots.

-ski-

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    Never tried this but I was told that white oaks are the sweetest; lowest tannin
    level. Apparently deer agree. My neighbor has killed 11 deer under my white oak.

WETSU

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    White oaks are pretty sweet. Burr oaks have a garlic taste IMO. Pin oaks are not worth the effort. Overcup oaks are okay, not like white. Red oaks are okay. Not like white.

I have leached the tanins out both by boiling and doing water changes, and by cold soaking and water changes. Both work. Air drying works best when you are done. Drying in the oven darkens the nuts and imparts a different flavor. Less useful for baking in sweet stuff. Fine for salting and eating, or using as flour.

Dentoro

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Fairland
    I've read about this and honestly, think I will keep this in the back of the brain like drying out cattail roots and griding them into flower. But will pass as long as I have white flower!!!!!

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    We've substituted Hickory Nuts for Pecans and it works in a pie. Shag Bark Hickory's are abundant on our property. They are subject to being wormy so do caution must be used. Taste is good and comparable to the pecan :yesway:

WETSU

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Shag Bark Hickory's are abundant on our property. They are subject to being wormy so do caution must be used. :yesway:

Ain't that the truth. Almost all hickory nuts I find have a worm or had a worm inside. They are actually larva that are laid by an insect before the nut forms. The larva then grows inside the nut as it forms. When it is ready to come out, it eats its way out. Closly examine some hickory nuts next time. If you find a "worm" there is no hole in the nut. Or, if you find a nut with one hole, there is no "worm" in it anymore, but boy he sure ate a lot of the nut meat.

Top Bottom