• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I love mine! I wish the ranging reticle was a little bigger though, but it works as advertised. :yesway:

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I have zero ACOG experience.

I hear people rave about them all the time, but I'm still unclear on exactly what their niche is and in what role they best fill.

What is their max effective range for man-sized targets? How close-in can you effectively use them?

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    My two cents: Why would I want a scope that cost more than my AR? For most civilian shooters I believe a decent scope, either hunting or tactical, could be had for under $500.

Aaronhome27

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Kendallville
    My two cents: Why would I want a scope that cost more than my AR? For most civilian shooters I believe a decent scope, either hunting or tactical, could be had for under $500.

What he said. But if you have the money and want the best combat durable and reliable optic money can buy then you are looking in the right direction.... :twocents:

Dave Doehrman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Was thinking about buying an acog for my ar.. But have mixed emotions, is it worth the money? And how's the warranty?!

I have nothing but good to say about my ACOG. I mounted mine on my Sig 556 originally but ended up moving it to my FN FS2000.

picture.php

I ordered it from Midway: ACOG TA01-ECOS Rifle Scope 4x 32 Military Version Amber Illuminated 223 Remington BAC Reticle Doctor Optic Red Dot Sight Iron Sight ARMS Throw Lever Mount Earth Brown

It has the Docter Red Dot on top and the quick detach mounting levers. For close work and quick acquisition, the Red Dot can't be beat. The ACOG has the BDC reticle and I can ring the steel out to 500 yards without a problem.

I have a couple other Trijicon products but I've never had to use their warranty. I shoot up at Young's Longshot Range and the folks from Trijicon shoot there as well. They told me if I ever had a problem to give them a call and they would handle ASAP. I like the fact that the ACOG is dual iluminated and requires no batteries and has no On/Off switch.

I have the RM04 mounted on my FNP45 Tactical and love that as well.

Last edited:

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    If I had $1200 laying around that I didn't need, I'd own one. For the simple fact that it's an illuminated optic that doesn't require batteries.. Tough as nails too. Right now I've got 2 L9000 aimpoints and a 2 burris scopes on 3 AR15's and one AR10.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN

I hear people rave about them all the time, but I'm still unclear on exactly what their niche is and in what role they best fill.

What is their max effective range for man-sized targets? How close-in can you effectively use them?

500 reliably.... 600-800 if you know what your doing and good

50 yards comfortably, inside that and irons, reflex, or red dot far outshine the acog

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in

the pst 1-4 is my most popular scope. ive literally been instock of them for 48 hours in the last 6 months.

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven

I have the ta33 on my 6920 and it is calibrated for 600m shots...far better than I am lol. Close in definitely takes practice. I'm no operator by any means but just by sitting in front of the tv or walking around the house, you can learn to use it close up. It takes some adjustment using a magnified optic with both eyes open.

I paid $575 shipped for mine NIB and $89 shipped for the Larue qd mount NIB. Zero regrets.

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Deadman's Hollow
    I own a 3x, it's tough, ammo differs on the drop sometimes, but I've put it through some paces. I recently thought mine went TU, but like a fool I blamed it before I realized it was the ammo.

They are great if you learn to use them and practice.

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    I have thought about getting one as well. Its one of my long term projects to save up for. I know a couple in the military that love using them, but its abit easier when you dont have to buy it yourself.

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    I had a TA31RCO-M4 for a couple for years, it is a robust optic for sure. The ranging reticle is designed for use with mil-spec M855 ammo and will provide combat acceptable hits out to 600m.

That said, it is not a precision optic by any means, but it will work very effectively for what its intended purpose is.

While I did like the ACOG in general, I just couldn't get used to it when engaging close in targets quickly. I am sure if I had worked harder I could have "got it together", so to speak. I am also, not a fan multiple optics mounted on the gun, ie: piggy backing a RDS inconjunction with an ACOG or other variable optics.

For me, the Aimpoint rules. It gives me the quickest sight on target for close range speed shooting and with the proper zeroing technique can provide combat acceptable hits at 300m, fairly quickly. You can add a magnifier to the mix, but your adding cost and substantial weight to the gun, and lets face it, the cost for the Aimpoint 3x magnifier is just crazy.

One day some one will design an combat worthy optic that will have the following specs.
    1) True 1X red dot with unlimited eye-relief.
    2) Quickly switch to a 6x or 8x with BDC out to 600m with mil-spec M855. (NOT variable in the sense to dial in 1-6 or 1-8, its either 1X or quickly switched to 6X or 8Xm no in between.
    3) No external mechanicals, ie the ELCAN.
    4) Long battery life, aka Aimpoint like or better.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom