• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SirRealism

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    How does the accuracy compare for pistol caliber reloads vs. cheap range ammo like WWB, vs. typical high quality self defense ammo. Let's assume the reloader get high quality components and has a decent amount of experience.

I realize there are tons of factors here... a generalization is fine.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    For a handgun, more accurate that you are most likely.

I'm serious. Unless you are a serious precision handgun shooter, your sloppiest reloads are going to be accurate enough. The big caveat in reloading handgun rounds is not accuracy, it's in ensuring you don't get squib or overcharged loads and ensuring they are sized correctly to not get the gun jammed or to FTE or FTF.

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    If by factory handgun you mean Winchester, Remington, PMC, Speer, or Federal (Gold Medal notwithstanding), then handloads win 99 times out of a 100. The only factory ammo I've seen that shoots to custom standards is WinClean out of Rob Leatham's 6" NRA Action Pistol metallic sight 1911, and that will do under 2" at 50 yds.

There are a small number of commercial loaders who produce great ammo that you can buy. Hornady Custom, Atlanta Arms and Ammo (loads a lot of USAMU ammo), Black Hills, Zero, and Precision Delta (loads a lot of PPC ammo).

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Even reloads I just toss together and shoot from mixed brass is generally more accurate than ammo like WWB and especially UMC. If I really take my time and put care into it, my ammo is much more accurate than those brands, and at least as accurate as premium self defense ammo, and more accurate than some.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Just wondering, in actual self protection distances of 7 yards or less, does it really make a difference if a good handload shoots 2 inches off a bench rest versus store bought which shoots 6 inches?

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Just wondering, in actual self protection distances of 7 yards or less, does it really make a difference if a good handload shoots 2 inches off a bench rest versus store bought which shoots 6 inches?

Yep, sure does given the standards you put forth. Under the stress of a fight for your life, those groups will be more like 8 inches and 24 inches... good hits vs plenty of flat out misses.

Of course, most good self defense ammo is more than accurate enough to be trusted.

SirRealism

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008

4" difference? Yeah, I'd take that. I'd much rather get hit 6" to the left of my heart than 2" to the left of it.

McMark

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    I see every load that comes off the press. I saw a factory round recently at FNS that was upside down. I feel like a have better control and can tailor rounds to my needs.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    At 7 yards factory ammo is going to do better than 2 inch groups. I can get better results with factory ammo at seven yards and no rest. All day long.

I have seen Rob Leatham shooting American Eagle factory ammo at nationals, and win the match. USPSA shooting is not the pin point accuracy fest of bullseye shooting of Bianchi cup, but it is similar in accuracy requirements as a self defense shooting. 21 feet and closer is not requiring some i dotting accuracy. Reliabilty is my first concern.

hicap30

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2009
    All of my reloads are more accurate and cheaper than the white box, plus more fun packin my own!

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    Handloads built with attention paid to case weight, bullet weight, hand weighing each powder charge...yep, probably will outshine factory ammo. Reloads thrown together on a progressive press with cheap bullets and mixed brass...about the same as factory.

Just depends on how much work you want to put in it.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    How does the accuracy compare for pistol caliber reloads vs. cheap range ammo like WWB, vs. typical high quality self defense ammo. Let's assume the reloader get high quality components and has a decent amount of experience.

I realize there are tons of factors here... a generalization is fine.

The nice thing about reloading is high quality doesn't neccesarily mean expensive. Some of my most accurate loads are using very affordable cast bullets.

Accuracy in reloads is the part I find fairly easy to achieve better results than factory. It's expansion, penetration, muzzle flash, and general bullet performance I find more challenging. I simply don't have the resources they have to easily determine some of these issues.

Top Bottom