• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ahap

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 27, 2022
    Evansville
    I first heard about this shoot a couple of days ago from a guy shooting next to me at the range. So I've missed it for this year. Anyone here attend, shoot, or part of the group that puts it on?

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    :dunno:
    Any other details?

Most of the **** I hear from the guy shooting next to me at the range gets put in the circular file.

Ahap

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 27, 2022
    Evansville
    :dunno:
    Any other details?

Most of the **** I hear from the guy shooting next to me at the range gets put in the circular file.
    They have a website. It's a real thing, non sanctioned, but I could care less about that. Looks like it is on somebody's farm, only put on once a year. There are several shooting stations, longest one at a mile. I've never shot any long range or competition of any type, I'd like to try my hand and wondered how their shoot is organized/ran, if anybody here had been there.

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    It started out small a few years ago. I wanted to make their first event but caught a flu bug. After that, the competition got pretty serious. The weather is typically yucky, they have the shoot this time of year because it has to be done before the ground dries up enough for the farmer to prep it for spring planting. A single sighter shot at 100y, then go for hits at various distances. Last I heard, you have to hit the 1000y target before they let you try for a mile. I envy those who can shoot this type of match.

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    It started out small a few years ago. I wanted to make their first event but caught a flu bug. After that, the competition got pretty serious. The weather is typically yucky, they have the shoot this time of year because it has to be done before the ground dries up enough for the farmer to prep it for spring planting. A single sighter shot at 100y, then go for hits at various distances. Last I heard, you have to hit the 1000y target before they let you try for a mile. I envy those who can shoot this type of match.

What are people shooting that they can reliably reach out to a mile?

2-Alpha

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 8, 2018
    Indianapolis area
    I found the thread I was thinking of:

Not sure it’s the same place, but he gets into the gear they took and how well it worked.

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    Definitely a test of one's marksmanship! 2 MOA for the large targets and 1 MOA for the smaller targets. :wow:
    I know a reasonable number of excellent marksmen, but of that group maybe a handful would be making repeatable hits.

Sadly, the vast majority (90%+) of the firearm owning public don't even make it into the first category.

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    88   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    I'm just getting into precision shooting.
    Got a rifle that can do <.5" (best 3 shot group .27") but I'm still new at it. I haven't shot it enough to do that with it every time, nor have I the chance to shoot at anything other than the 100 & 200 yd lines... (DNR ranges)
    I'd love to get good enough to hit targets at extended ranges. Wish I had a place close by (and time & ammo) to practice at longer ranges...
    Also... my precision rifle... it's a .243, so even though it's been a laser so far, it's never gonna carry to a mile without the wind taking those tiny rounds for a serious ride. At least I'll never be good enough to do it.
    I figure If I ever get good (consistently) at 500 or 600 one day I'll be happy.

Top Bottom