• Ever had an accidental or negligent discharge

• Total voters

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Never. But when I took Boone County Sheriff Ken Campbell's Gunsite course this past summer, he told us that everyday you don't have an AD/ND, is just one day closer til you do have one.

Bubba

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Rensselaer
    I had an ND once. I was on a controlled firing line, and had been given the command to load my rifle. Somehow while chambering a round and releasing the safety on my 10/22 it discharged. My fingers were not inside the trigger guard. The muzzle was pointed downrange toward the backstop. My first thought was "No! Come back, bullet!", followed quickly by "WTF?" and, once realization set in that the round had not been launched in an unsafe direction, "How embarrassing". My first thought was a mechanical issue, but it did not repeat that weekend, and has not repeated in the couple thousand rounds fired since that time. I will likely never know the exact cause, but I now believe that, while in the process of preparing to fire, the heel of my palm pressed into the trigger guard and engaged the trigger. The shot was fired with as close to zero danger to others as a rifle shot ever is. All the explicit safety rules were followed. Col. Cooper (or the NRA, or the range, etc.) didn't write rules to cover every possible way in which an unintended discharge could occur.

philagothon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    On the 7th step
    Once. Mechanical. 10/22 slamfire on first round after a thorough cleaning and oiling. It was pointed at a dirt hill 150 yards away so no damage was done, but it scared the crap out of me. I know it is only a 22, but it still scared me. It is my primary loaner/training rifle and if I couldn't trust it that would suck. I have since fired more than 1000 rounds through it without a problem.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    I was about 8 years old when a 14 year old boy went out rabbit hunting with his dad. As he was walking behind his dad, he slipped on a patch of ice and fell. He fell to his knees and tried using his left hand to stop his fall while his right hand was on the forearm of his single shot 20 gauge. When the butt hit the ground it fired. His dad was killed instantly.

I preach to my kids that there is no such thing as accidental discharges, but I believe there are exceptions to every rule.

sxshep

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2009
    SW Ohio
    Yes... and this was the damage (before two surgeries)

Before_Side.jpg

Had just finished cleaning my Kimber Custom II 1911, and was chambering a round to put in my holster and sit back on my dresser. Had my leg crossed, sitting on the couch watching TV. Had it pointed in front of me, but forgot about my leg being crossed. As I racked the slide, my guess is that my finger slipped down and nudged the trigger as the slide came down.

I've since sold it, and moved on the solely DA or DA/SA pistols... 4lb SA triggers scare me, as does going to public ranges, having the muzzle cross my body (even if I know 110% that it's unloaded) or pointed in unsafe directions, chambering rounds in my carry guns, etc...

It's amazing what having a ND will do to you... I thought I was as safe as they come, and considered people who have ND's "idiots" or "fools". Truth is, even a millisecond of negligence or lapse of judgement can cause a lifetime of consequences.

tbhausen

Master
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    It's amazing what having a ND will do to you... I thought I was as safe as they come, and considered people who have ND's "idiots" or "fools". Truth is, even a millisecond of negligence or lapse of judgement can cause a lifetime of consequences.

^^^ Best lines of this thread, right there ^^^

Neo46121

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2009
    Putnam County
    Was checking out an XD .40 in my buddies upstairs apartment in hopes of buying it to match the one I already had. He racks the slide back and locks it in place, drops the mag, closes the slide and slides the mag back in as he hands it to me. I take the weapon from his hand and instinctively crack the chamber open to check it for clear.

I give the xd a "good" once over and shake hands on a trade. I say to him " it's not good to leave these cocked if they're not loaded" (stupid I know), point it at the floor out o habit, and BANG! Ears are ringing like crazy, but I kept the xd pointed at the floor incase anything else going goofy. Apparently there were two rounds of FMJ in the mag.....

Went through the floor boards and into the building below, and thankfully noone was in there at that time of night

Last edited:

pharmboy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Shelbyville
    In my younger and more foolish days, I was polishing the chambers of my .357 revolver, then checking extraction (with live rounds), got distracted while I was working, returned to it, went to check lock up and pulled the trigger on a live round in my bedroom. Luckily the bullet went through my nightstand and wedged in a stack of books next to it. No harm to me, aside from some mild hearing damage. The upside, I learned a potentially disastrous lesson with relatively little harm done.

Duce

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Delaware County
    I was shooting in a muzzle loading match with my flintlock. I had loaded at my bench walked to the line. The rifle was cradled in my left arm hand on the wrist of the stock. I eared the hammer back to half cock, opened the frizzen, and primed the pan. What happened next was kind of in slow motion. I slid my right hand back, thumb extended, to close the pan, apparently I hadn't got the hammer in the half cock notch, but between it and the full cock notch. when the frizzen snapped shut the hammer fell setting the rifle off. My right palm was directly in front of vent and a jet of flame, much like an acetylene torch burnt my hand. The muzzle was pointed down range, and other than a shredded glove and burnt hand, there was no damage. Luckily, one buddy took my rifle, another plunged my hand into an ice chest of water and ice. After calming down a bit I finished the match. The worse thing was digging the powder particles out of my palm....:@ya:...Duce<><

darinb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Scott county,indiana
    I dont know whether to this is accidental or negligent either way I was scared. I had a taurus revolver in my waistband OCing. I was in a hurry to get to work. I had all my hands full and a heavy hydration pack on one arm. THe pack shifted adn came across my chest area and I guess one of the dangling starps cocked the trigger. I sat the gun down in my seat in the area that would be between my legs. As I sat almost fully down the gun went off putting a hole under my steering wheel I dont know where teh bullet ended up but I dont think it exited the vehicle. I am shaken up now. I hope the bullet didnt damage my steering column.

bigus_D

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Country Side
    I dont know whether to this is accidental or negligent either way I was scared. I had a taurus revolver in my waistband OCing. I was in a hurry to get to work. I had all my hands full and a heavy hydration pack on one arm. THe pack shifted adn came across my chest area and I guess one of the dangling starps cocked the trigger. I sat the gun down in my seat in the area that would be between my legs. As I sat almost fully down the gun went off putting a hole under my steering wheel I dont know where teh bullet ended up but I dont think it exited the vehicle. I am shaken up now. I hope the bullet didnt damage my steering column.

Negligent. Use a holster. :twocents:

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    I had a slam fire once while loading my AR in a CMP match. made a hole in the turf and cost me 10pts.
    Drove home the point that safety rules=safety habits=safety net when **** happens--that and it CAN happen to YOU.

Top Bottom