• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    Finally got to shoot the Ruger AC556 today. It's fast and fun! really just blasting some to get it out of my system. Hope to shoot it again in a few weeks and want to really compare it to my AR for handling, rapid fire, etc. Full Auto .223 is easy shooting, and not too noisy with the 13" barrel. the .22 conversion kit would only work with the factory mag, but we put around 700 rounds of .22lr through it. It's very fast with the conversion kit. I'd say about 5-6 rounds is the fastest I could get off the trigger. I learned an importian lesson today. After 700+ rounds of .22, the bore was horribly leaded and I was planning on swapping back to .223, so I tried to run a bore brush don it. Tried being the operative word here! it ran in about five inches and go stuck! Ended the day with this one, so we plinked with .22's the rest of the day. A fifteen minute soak with Sweet's 7.62 was enough to loosen up the brush and remove it. Now the bore is plugged and soaking in Hoppes for at least a few hours, if not more. Lesson being that I need to run a brush through the bore at least every few mags on .22. Ruined a very nice one piece stainless cleaning rod to boot! Oh well; on to the videos!

AC556 :: Tom .223 video by Slow_Hand23 - Photobuckethttp://s60.photobucket.com/albums/h24/Slow_Hand23/AC556/?action=view&current=GunPics004.flv

AC556 :: Me .223 video by Slow_Hand23 - Photobucket

.22LR conversion

http://s60.photobucket.com/albums/h24/Slow_Hand23/AC556/?action=view¤t=GunPics008.flv

And a fun one; looks like a video game!

AC556 :: Gun Cam video by Slow_Hand23 - Photobucket

A couple others can be found in this album:

http://s60.photobucket.com/albums/h24/Slow_Hand23/AC556/

Doug K

Last edited:

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    Try one of those bore snakes. I haven't broken a rod since I bought them.

Great vids! One of the cheaper ways to get into full-auto. And Ruger will work on them.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Cool vids, thanks for sharing!

How did your "grab bag o' mystery mags" work out?

I may have missed your post while I was on vacation, but have you posted good pics of the beast yet?

Looking forward to shooting it on NFA Day if not before.

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    Cool vids, thanks for sharing!

How did your "grab bag o' mystery mags" work out?

I may have missed your post while I was on vacation, but have you posted good pics of the beast yet?

Looking forward to shooting it on NFA Day if not before.

Mark,
    Some pics on the NFA pic thread. I just fitted the ATI stock Friday evening. Took about an hour with my cheapie mill/vise and drill press. Works pretty good. fairly solid, but didnt' get to shoot the Factory stock in .223. I actually had 100% reliability with the .223 mags, some PMI's and some unknown. I know some came from you. No pedigree on any of them, but so far so good! Wish video quality was better. I think my brother's camcorder is digital and if so, I'll hav e to borrow it for some quality shots sometime.

Doug K

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    Those are neat, but from what I understand they don't make a model for the AC556. It's nto a big deal to machine one out, but I actually prefer teh SCAR style stock for lookms. never handled either. Thought about getting one for my M-14, but a $600 stock on a 900 rifle seems extreme. I guess a $500 stock on a $6K gun isn't as bad proportionally! Still, that's a couple cases of ammo I can enjoy shooting!! Here's the SCAR style stock:
    scar%20stock.jpg

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    Sure was fun I'm gona stock on 223 for next time, you get the barrel clean and clear yet?

Yep, finally tonight. I ended up getting the bore brush really stuck tonight! Had to use some heat to get it all broke loose. I had the bore brush, completely coated in lead and another slug that broke off that was about 1 1/2 of a .22lr slug. I need to weight the whole shebang to see how much lead was really in that bore. No wonder we were having a hard time hitting anything near the end! Lesson learned; the hard way! I"m just glad I didn't have to ship my new machine gun back to Ruger to take care of my stupidity!

Doug K

Top Bottom