• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bubba

Expert
    Apr 10, 2009
    Rensselaer
    A little long, but I'm sore, pumped, happy and a little cold (not only Appleseeding but camping out for the weekend too at lovely Mirror Lake State Park near Wisconsin Dells):

AuntieBellum and I took our first Appleseed in Wisconsin at the invitation of an old friend, also his first Appleseed.

Bright and early Saturday morning we schlepped out to M&M Sports in New Lisbon, WI. The range is just out in the back yard and was nothing fancy, but it was clean, the grass was tended and there weren’t any rocks or old brass sticking up to bother us. Weather was perfect in the upper-60’s and sunny with a very gentle breeze. The only issue was the ground conditions. The range was situated next to a lake and a small creek runs between the prep area and the firing line. This would be quite peaceful in a zen sort of way except the recent rains in the region had left the ground saturated and even standing water in some of the walking areas. But, with true rifleman spirit, 10 shooters and 6 instructors lined up to get down and dirty in the mud.
    100_0541.jpg

There was plenty of training in the morning with history at lunch. I went in knowing I didn’t know anything, but I started getting some confidence with good tight groups on the squares. The first AQTs reared their ugly heads in the afternoon. My scores were fair and I thought I might make something of the trip. Later in the day shooter Karl shot rifleman and was presented with his orange hat right then and there. I left for the day feeling pretty good but dog tired, sore, and I shot a high of 181. Particular hat tips for the day go to Tricia for her one-on-one instruction, to Deacon for tips on getting my tech sights blacked out (and since my friend Jason isn’t on here) for the loan of a .22 conversion unit and help with a very cranky AR-15, and to orange hat Tom for his help with analyzing my targets.

AuntieBellum gets personal instruction from Tricia:
    2010-05-15142835.jpg

Sunday was another fantastic weather day and I believe we had 11 on the line. Several more patches were handed out including to one shooter who really embodied Perseverance. Personally I started strong, shooting 10 rounds in quarter-sized groups on both of the squares I attempted. My performance suffered mid day, and I was a little down on myself. On the plus side, AuntieBellum increased her AQT scores by almost 150% over Saturday, and my friend got his AR properly adjusted and was able to get rounds on paper, though still a little handicapped by not having a GI sling and missing almost all Saturday’s shooting with mechanical problems. Towards the end of the day I realized that I just wasn’t able to effectively use my iron sights. I asked about using my Rem700 to finish the day with optics (5 round internal mags aren’t ideal for this) but instructor Colycat was kind enough to loan me his scoped 10/22. The group broke up around 4pm and the instructors got their chance to play with their toys. I stayed put and managed to grind out another 2 AQT’s while the instructors were shooting, and they held the line long enough for me to shoot a 218 on the last target of the day and shoot boss Dragonfly presented me my patch right there at the targets and I mildly defaced Colycat’s rifle by giving it its 8th(?) notch in the stock celebrating successful rifleman scores. Big hat tips for Sunday to Colycat of course for the loaner rifle, to Dragonfly and Old Glory for advice on my prone position, and to fresh orange hat Karl for running some of the strings of fire (his first time calling, I think).

My friend Jason and I shoot the AQT stage 1:
    100_0523.jpg

I get my patch from Dragonfly:
    100_0547.jpg

Overall, I went in knowing I was a n00b. I was pretty pleased with what I could do with what I already knew, but went after the fundamentals as taught. I had a rough spell in the middle where I started breaking down old habits and hadn’t yet mastered the new ones, but in the end thanks to valuable instruction from the cadre of instructors, as well as their patience in letting me be the last guy one the line, I successfully not only got my patch, but also cleared an entire redcoat target. I can’t wait to go back and get more consistent and shoot rifleman over iron sights. AuntieBellum finally wrestled compliance from her 10/22 and finished only 35 points short of Rifleman. I’m sure we’ll be at an Indiana Appleseed within the next couple of months.

"Official AAR here: New Lisbon May15 and 16 Great weather in the forecast.

DaveD

Sharpshooter
    Mar 27, 2008
    Greencastle
    Thanks for the AAR. Glad to hear you guy's had a great time. :rockwoot:

The Indiana Appleseed Instructors are ready and willing to help continue your successes. Come on out! :D

AuntieBellum

Expert
    Dec 4, 2009
    Rensselaer
    Definitely a good weekend. I’m exhausted, sore, and a little chilly at the moment at the campsite, but it has been worth the experience.

Day 1 was super frustrating for me. I had trouble with the sling, trouble with the bolt release, and trouble sighting in my 10/22. Maybe I should have taken Bubba’s advice and practiced some sling work to really see what I needed to do and making some sight adjustments. Luckily those guesses (yes, I guessed a little…I spent day 1 turning the screws the wrong directions and nearly breaking my front site once) were right on. The whole day just felt like I was behind the ball and losing ground every step of the way.

Day 2 just got better and better for me from there. I actually cleared the 100 yd red coat to begin with (and I wasn’t close at all day 1), and I started working the sling and bolt release correctly and quickly enough to actually get all my shots in on stages 2 (standing to sitting) and 3 (standing to prone). The picture of me in the sitting position was Tricia helping me with the open sitting position on day 1.

My best AQT was near the end of day 2 at 175. That wasn’t where I wanted to be, but considering how frustrating day 1 was, day 2 was amazing. Everything that I learned on day 1 started to work together on day 2, and I just kept seeing so many improvements. I almost wish I would’ve joined Bubba in trying those last couple AQTs, but I was just too worn out and not quite close enough to make it.

I really enjoyed the history and the instructors were definitely helpful. Tricia was particularly attentive, as was Old Glory. Colycat had some definite good tips for me, too, and Dragonfly helped me analyze a target or two.

I look forward to my next Appleseed so I can walk away with my patch, too. I think my dad would really like it, so maybe we’ll work on acquiring another 10/22 to loan him for the day.

And I’m super proud of Bubba – jealous, but proud. Nice work, dear!

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Congratulations, Rifleman!

AB, you've set your goal, and you're very close. It's not a common thing for someone to score Rifleman at their first 'seed, so you're on schedule. Keep practicing! :thumbsup:

I look forward to seeing you both at an Indiana shoot...
    ......"Your preparation period begins NOW!"
    RHI.gif

Blessings,
    Bill

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Congrats, Rifleman! Sounds like a fine weekend. :patriot:

Hope to see you both at a shoot soon.

hawkhavn

Sharpshooter
    Apr 2, 2008
    SE Idaho
    Congrats all around, having worked with Old Glory and Colycat I know you were in the best of hands. Looking forward to seeing you on the line this summer.

HH

Top Bottom