AAR: Nashville Appleseed, April 17-18 2010.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    Nashville AAR thread

We had a beautiful day with blue skies and sunshine. INGO's own Techres and Lars were the instructors.

Here's a pic of Techres in his 'Zen teaching mode!'
    2djavti.jpg

Everything went well. There were the typical mechanical failures and ammo issues. Everyone got through those little distractions. My apologies to Kr_treefrog2 and Scutter01 for raining down hot .223 brass on them all afternoon!

There was tremendous overall improvement in the class from the first 'Redcoat' target at the start of today and the finishing shots on the same target!

More fun and lots of AQTs are planned for Sunday! :rockwoot:

hawkhavn

Sharpshooter
    Apr 2, 2008
    SE Idaho
    I should have known the first Appleseed AAR this weekend would be on INGO and not at RWVA.org...

Sounds like you all had a good time and whack the AQTs tomorrow.

HH

Lars

Rifleman
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    I'll write a proper report after I get home. I'm still at the hotel room an hour and a half south of home. In short however I'd like to mention that Techres did not leave with more holes than he came with, so LoveMyWoods' suggestion about shooting RedHats didn't get implemented.

To everyone who comes to INGO for the first time and reads this post because we met on the line at Nashville, IN, on April 17 and 18, 2010, Welcome! To you, and to those who came to Nashville, IN, in part because of INGO it was my privilege to have been on the line with you.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Mar 21, 2008
    To everyone who comes to INGO for the first time and reads this post because we met on the line at Nashville, IN, on April 17 and 18, 2010, Welcome! To you, and to those who came to Nashville, IN, in part because of INGO it was my privilege to have been on the line with you.

:+1:

It was a pleasure to have met you all.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Mar 14, 2008
    Full report with pictures inbound. Sufficient to say, it was wonderful to spend time with amazing students, in amazing weather, exercising our freedoms and learning about where we come from.

Downloading pics now, also taking advil and wondering when I forgot about putting on suntan lotion.

I will leave this cliffhanger, we made more than a few riflemen this weekend at Nashville. Some have INGO usernames....

Back with report and pics ASAP...

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Mar 14, 2008
    Let's make an official AAR thread now.
    Creating a full AAR now.
    Be ready in 15 minutes.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Mar 14, 2008
    AAR: Nashville Appleseed, April 17-18 2010.

Weather: Great Both Days Chilly in the AM, Sunny all day. Never Hot.
    Number of Shooters: 25 Saturday, 13 Sunday.
    Length of Event: 8:30 am - 7:00 pm Saturday, 8:30 am - 5:00 pm Sunday
    Known INGO Members Attending: Techres & Lars (Instructing), Pami, Scutter01 (Spasmo Observing), Lovemywoods, Kr_Treefrog2, and Mrs. Lovemywoods. [If I missed any, chime in!]

Day One:

Lars, PT6 and I rolled in at 7:00am and got the line setup and were done just as shooters rolled in. We had just the right number and filled the line nicely with shooting mats.

After registration, paperwork and a safety briefing we took the rifles to the line and shot our first targets (the REDCOAT targets):

4530066352_7c679e171c_b.jpg

4529436421_50b297a762_b.jpg

The morning was full of fundamentals and history. Prone position was used as each portion of the training was added to the last. Young, older, man, woman, minor all did well keeping up with pace of the morning training of slings, steps of the shot, NPOA and more:

4530055312_e414bc7838_b.jpg

4529428751_4c1148e5d2_b.jpg

INGO was very well represented, visible presence:

4529410411_06dd595d94_b.jpg

4529432251_ddc6c88e8a_b.jpg

We had some issues with hot brass and put up a "Iron Curtain" between the lefties and the others:

4529430499_98ec355bc9_b.jpg

4529426691_2c424277b4_b.jpg

We ate on site so we could stay on time track and those who had planned to eat elsewhere were fed by those that had extra on hand. During lunch we continued history from Lexington on into Concord. Then it was time for more, faster, and continued training including sitting and standing positions:

4530035922_278b0d3317_b.jpg

4530045600_7287dff440_b.jpg

Ball and dummy put shooters in the position of trainers looking for problems to be fixed:

4530031100_793df1d657_b.jpg

4530044122_ede58f0d79_b.jpg

4530030062_066703faa8_b.jpg

At 2:30pm we broke to finish our histories and make ready for the national volley. At 3:00 pm we called the names of the April 19 dead and fired volley in their memory along with shooters at 100 other events, along with thousands of other shooters doing the exact same thing at the same time in 40+ states. It was awesome.

Then it was back to learning transiitions, and before we knew it we were racing the sun setting. There was just enough time to do two AQT's:

4529419683_521a49a646_b.jpg

4529402805_99b37fa10c_b.jpg

We were running so late that we quickly cleared the gear, stowed rifles and moved out for the night after a final talk about the debt our ancestors left to each of us and the lives we can live out in payment of that debt.

At home, I collapsed from drain and slept until 5:30 am, got up and headed back out again.

Sunday:

Sunday morning we found that some of the posts from the previous day had not done so well:

4533353710_9f6fd38477_b.jpg

So we repaired the line and went back to work. But first there was an AQT from the end of Saturday that had not been scored, and we had a bit of a happy surprise, our first Rifleman! Now, at this Appleseed we were also remembering our first instructor who has passed beyond this life and into the next. In her memory, every shoot had three purple riflemen patches and this AQT took the first. (lars has pictures of all the riflemen and those will post asap).

With that superb start, we were back to work:

4533383432_6441832073_b.jpg

4533380714_e0f53ab01b_b.jpg

4533357404_2f05e2dc17_b.jpg

4533386404_07fbd5b4e6_b.jpg

More Ball & Dummy:

4533361756_18447ded92_b.jpg

Then we had lunch and did more history. Afterwards we had fun hitting some steel further out in our Known Distance until someone nailed the target and the steel dropped from the sky straight down. It was perplexing until later when we found that shooter had a one in a zillion shot hitting perfectly in windage just a bit high in elevation and made a direct hit on the mounting bracket and severing the chains, mounting bracket in one hit:

4532742487_8435526539_b.jpg

The hit was done from a Daewoo with irons and could not have been done better intentionally. I will send him a bill.

Then it was back to the AQT grind broken by a team match of Parker's Revenge. Our Husband/Wife team beat out all other contenders for the win!

Soon there were four more riflemen.

Scutter01

A Member of the Host Range.

And another who may be member here, but I do not know their screen names.

And the one who I asked to come back on Sunday and who proved his hard work had succeded:

LoveMyWoods

Each of these earned their patch. Two others were a mere few points off, one who came with no training at all.

We had run out of time again and ended all the bits of training and goodbye's for all but 4 shooters who stayed for one last AQT.

4533456526_beec033394_b.jpg

I want to thank each and every one of you who came and devoted their time to heritage and skill. It was a hard two days and even those who only were able to do one day should be very proud of their successes. Each and every student did very well, was very safe, and of good cheer even when aching and tired.

You all did yourselves and your ancestors proud.

Thank you and I hope to see you again soon!

Techres

Lars

Rifleman
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    I'm sending Techres the High Res Photos, with all the Riflemen being issued their patches. Along with all the other photos I took this weekend. Totalling 1.55gb in size.

The Video of the volley is going to have to be sent via Carrier Pigeon, or at least USPS.

Still working on the AAR from my POV.

Techres will have to help me out with the names:

img_2342.JPG

img_2347.JPG

img_2350.JPG

img_2351.JPG

img_2407.JPG

DHolder

Expert
    Jan 25, 2009
    Mooresville - MSG2 Hub
    Looks like you guys had a great weekend! INGO was well represented some familiar faces, just shows how well the Appleseed Project works.

Congratulations to all who earned the coveted "Rifleman" title, and kudos to those who toughed it out, and were so close.

:patriot: Don

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Nice job and congrats to everyone involved! Sounds like a great weekend in Nashville. :)

Dss21

Marksman
    May 15, 2009
    Thanks to Techres and Lars for another great appleseed. Great work for only having two instructors and a full firing line. Is there any chance of having more events at Nashville again this year? Thanks Derek

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Mar 14, 2008
    Thanks to Techres and Lars for another great appleseed. Great work for only having two instructors and a full firing line. Is there any chance of having more events at Nashville again this year? Thanks Derek

As far as Appleseed is concerned, we could easily do 2-3 more this year. I am still processing paperwork and getting the event stuff closed out. PLEASE drop a thank you letter/email to the range thanking them as well. It was their hospitality that made it all possible:

Hoosier Hills Rifle and Pistol Club

And I want to point out a special thanks for INGO member x10 for making this all happen on the ground. Without him, it would have never happened.

Thanks everyone!

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Mar 21, 2008
    I'm STILL reeling. Monday morning, I bought a 50-pack of Q&D AQT's from Appleseed for a little self-study.

I'ma break 240 next time. :D

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I'm STILL reeling. Monday morning, I bought a 50-pack of Q&D AQT's from Appleseed for a little self-study.

I'ma break 240 next time. :D

It's pretty overwhelming, isn't it?

Just for reference's sake, this is the avatar used by mtmisfit on the Appleseed forum:

index.php

I've asked and I've never heard of anyone shooting a "possible" on the AQT (a perfect 250). I'd love to be the first.... or at least next. I don't see it happening, but it would sure be sweet.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Mar 21, 2008
    It's pretty overwhelming, isn't it?

Just for reference's sake, this is the avatar used by mtmisfit on the Appleseed forum:

index.php

I've asked and I've never heard of anyone shooting a "possible" on the AQT (a perfect 250). I'd love to be the first.... or at least next. I don't see it happening, but it would sure be sweet.

That's a heck of a (three) shot! I averaged only 217 on my three qualifying AQTs. If I can consistently shoot 225, I think that would be a good first goal.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    Fort Wayne Appleseed

I got a 226 at the Fort Wayne Appleseed this last weekend and a Rifleman patch!:rockwoot: I would have still considered it one of the best weekends in years even if I didn't get it. In Fort Wayne Sloughfoot (sp?) was graciously able to assist us in the grown up part of the range and shoot at 300 yards. Man, what a way to drive home how significant a LITTLE movement at the muzzle can make. I was still able to get 2 in the "V" 6 in the 5 ring and 2 in the 4 ring at 300 yards. I couldn't do that at 150 yards prior to this weekend. This is an awesome thing that people are doing. I could go on for days about how the Appleseed Project is advantageous to attendees, and the USA culture in general.

Top Bottom