• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WRWIII

Plinker
    Apr 25, 2008
    LOFS
    The Atterbury 8. 8 souls that attended the FIRST Appleseed KD Shoot at Camp Atterbury JMTC. Most started their weekend on Saturday with wet and windy conditions at another shoot.

Sunday morning, while there was still a brisk chilly breeze left over from the day before, we gather at the gravel lot across from KD range 5 and get all checked in. After taking care of drawing the range, everyone makes the hike to the 100yd line and three of us split off to get the pits setup. The rest to review.

After splitting the shooters up into two relays(alternating between pits and shooting), the day begins in ernest, the sun even makes an appearance that stays with us for rest of the day(feeling the sunburn on my face now). The wind never stopped...

Both relays completed two AQTs for a total of four KD AQTs on the day. We even finished "on time". The first time through each shooter was given a chance to verify their zero and their "come ups" or "sight dope" at each distance with the course of fire following the sighting in. Hint: This is were they took notes... although I seem to remember one shooter admitting to not doing so. :dunno:

The second time through, shooters had to trust their notes! ;)

6 of 8 improved drastically between their first and second time through, the most improved award going to Rob who missed his shoot Saturday and was put on the crash course. First AQT: 114, drum roll, second score 194... So close(200 needed on KD). He definately has what it takes but came up only a little short. Good job! All score improvements were on the order of 20 or more points. Including Que who with scope problems had to manage his sight dope the Kentucky way. We had a number in the 180's.

Honors go to Matt (SmileDocHill) for taking a Riflemans patch. The second I have had the honor of presenting to him. The first being last years Patriot's Day shoot at FWRR. A man who knows well what he is about, then I have to say that everyone there fit this description. All showed up and persevered.

To the guinea pigs, I have hearty thanks;

Jonathan
    Alex
    Matt
    Anthony
    Rob
    David
    Hernando
    Brian

Let them be known going forward as the "Atterbury 8".

It was a good day, a good location, a good shoot; and most importantly, good people!

I would be remiss if I didn't say how much I appreciated my Appleseed contingent for the day. It wouldn't have worked without Auntiebellum and .5

Special thanks goes to Sue (Mog). Without her holding our hand and trusting us to not disappoint. Working out the logistics and walking us through the procedures to hold shoots at Atterbury, this would not have been possible. Thank you to Joe for joining us as RSO and your diligent work in the pits. They both represent Central Indiana High Power Rifle Shooters(CIHPRS). I look forward to building a relationship between Appleseed and CIHPRS and acknowledge their dedication.

This is starting to sound like a speech at this point so time for me to shut my yap....

Amy - where the pics??

Wild Deuce

Master
    Dec 2, 2009
    It's been 14 years for me since the last time I looked 400 yards downrange at a target. A lot has changed since that day. I found out that I am not a spring chicken anymore and my body is telling me that today.

A salute is due to all who sent lead downrange with me Sunday and particularly to SmileDocHill ... who earned that patch the hard way. I was pulling your target and knew early on that you had what it takes to earn that patch.

Nothing tests your application of the Six Steps like shooting full distance with a 15-20 mph turbulent, full value wind. Everyone should try it at least once. Now that I've eaten my humble pie, I will be back to earn a patch at Atterbury!

MoparMan

Master
    Apr 11, 2009
    Nice to see Appleseed finally come. I've sent info on CAJMTC to Bill of Rights and Techres a while back. Hope to see you guys back!

AuntieBellum

Expert
    Dec 4, 2009
    Rensselaer
    What a fantastic day! I LOVE KD!!! The Atterbury 8 are certainly to be commended for a job well done. It was apparent that these men certainly brought their good attitudes with them. Each and every one of you were a joy to work with yesterday. And it's not just because the sun was shining, I assure you - although that sure made for a pleasant day on the range! And a HUGE thank you to Sue (you'll see her in the fancy BLUE hat in the pics!!!) and CIHPS for your help in getting this set up. This is a fantastic opportunity for Appleseed in Indiana, and I look forward to more KD at Atterbury! ^:)^ And Joe - the unseen throughout all of this - thank you, thank you, thank you for your help in the pits this weekend! You're welcome to bring your family to the line at an Appleseed anytime! Bill 3 and .5 - always a pleasure to work with you both.

PICTURES!!!!!

What a beautiful target line. Complete with flags. We were blessed with plenty of wind to really test our shooters.
    100_1110.jpg

One of my favorite pics from the weekend. We could likely consider using .5's hair for a flag substitute. ;D
    100_1127.jpg

We safe our rifles the same way as we do at 25 - mags out...
    100_1130.jpg

Stage Two Sighters. This is Rob, our new Appleseeder. This might look intimidating for some new to Appleseed, but he took the 20 minute Appleseed review to heart and put it to work all day.
    100_1112.jpg

Seated at 200 yards.
    100_1131.jpg

Time to pull out the spotting scopes. 100 and 200 were easy to see. 300 and 400...well, it was nice to have those scopes!
    100_1117.jpg

HOW far away is the target line???!!!
    100_1124.jpg

Side view.
    100_1121.jpg

Our one 30 cal shooter. 1 M1A and 7 ARs. It's okay - the shooter did NOT feel left out. :D
    100_1114.jpg

Zip ties by S&W. ::)
    100_1139.jpg

100_1119.jpg

100_1118.jpg

100_1115.jpg

100_1138.jpg

100_1136.jpg

100_1135.jpg

100_1133.jpg

Our new KD Rifleman!!!!
    100_1144.jpg

The Atterbury 8:
    100_1149.jpg

Last edited:

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I had a great time on Saturday and Sunday. I will be at Cloverdale on May 7th to give it another try. Osprey apologized for the broken scope and will be providing a replacement, no questions asked.

AuntieBellum

Expert
    Dec 4, 2009
    Rensselaer
    I had a great time on Saturday and Sunday. I will be at Cloverdale on May 7th to give it another try. Osprey apologized for the broken scope and will be providing a replacement, no questions asked.

That is good news on the scope. Great job this weekend. I can't imagine doing as well as you did with a broken scope. Keep it up, and you'll do great at Cloverdale!

danielocean03

Come in, Manacle Shark.
    Site Supporter
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hamilton County
    As I've already mentioned on the Atlanta AAR, a HUGE thank-you to everyone who everyone who attended, both instructors and shooters alike! That was by far one of the best weekends I've ever had, I'm going to try to make the May 7th shoot with Que at Cloverdale to get my patch as well!

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    Gotta have MODS in the pits. I caught them several times trying to instill infractions for shots they deemed inadequate. The Pits boss had to constantly remind them that they have no jurisdiction here.
    DSC02561.jpg

In case you are curious, this is the parking lot which is pretty much at the 600 yard line from the targets.
    DSC02563.jpg

DSC02570.jpg

DSC02569.jpg

DSC02568.jpg

DSC02566.jpg

A man outstanding in his field, or rather the parking lot.

DSC02565.jpg

Mog

Sharpshooter
    Dec 5, 2009
    Indianapolis
    It was a great time!! I want to add my thanks and kudos to everyone involved! WRWIII, Auntie Bellum, and .5 all did a GREAT job-- but then, every interaction I've ever had with Appleseed has been excellent. I expected no less than stellar performance, and you delivered! Very professional, terrific instruction, well run and safe line-- and a lot of fun! Jrainw did a great job running the pits!

I really enjoyed meeting all of our "Atterbury 8"-- you guys all shot very well. I'm sure if we'd had time for another AQT we would have had a LOT of Rifleman patches handed out! That wind was definitely a challenge! All of you know very well what you are about. I was especially impressed with Que-- you kept your head and dealt with that scope failure, and shot very well in spite of it. Well met! I hope to see all of you at Atterbury again.

If anyone is interested in any of CIHPRS' Highpower shoots at Atterbury, the website is www.cihprs.org. Our schedule is posted there as well as any updates. Be sure to email me with your name and address for our Gate Roster. Let me know in advance if you need any gear-- we'll be happy to help out with anything you need.

Sue/Mog

The wind never stopped...

Honors go to Matt (SmileDocHill) for taking a Riflemans patch.

To the guinea pigs, I have hearty thanks;

Jonathan
    Alex
    Matt
    Anthony
    Rob
    David
    Hernando
    Brian

Let them be known going forward as the "Atterbury 8".

It was a good day, a good location, a good shoot; and most importantly, good people!

I would be remiss if I didn't say how much I appreciated my Appleseed contingent for the day. It wouldn't have worked without Auntiebellum and .5

Special thanks goes to Sue (Mog). Without her holding our hand and trusting us to not disappoint. Working out the logistics and walking us through the procedures to hold shoots at Atterbury, this would not have been possible. Thank you to Joe for joining us as RSO and your diligent work in the pits. They both represent Central Indiana High Power Rifle Shooters(CIHPRS). I look forward to building a relationship between Appleseed and CIHPRS and acknowledge their dedication.

Last edited by a moderator:

jrainw

Sharpshooter
    Jul 20, 2008
    Morgan county
    It was the first time I've gone to Atterbury when people were sending rounds downrange and I didn't make any noise with them but it was still a great time. Everyone was ready to learn and I'm sure if we had one more go around we would have had quite a few rifleman. It was a very laid back envirement where questions were welcomed and everyone learned alot. I plan on working with appleseed in the future but I'm going to do some shooting next time!

WRWIII

Plinker
    Apr 25, 2008
    LOFS
    It was the first time I've gone to Atterbury when people were sending rounds downrange and I didn't make any noise with them but it was still a great time. Everyone was ready to learn and I'm sure if we had one more go around we would have had quite a few rifleman. It was a very laid back envirement where questions were welcomed and everyone learned alot. I plan on working with appleseed in the future but I'm going to do some shooting next time!

It was a pleasure to work with you. Thank you for all the help in the pits!

Top Bottom