• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    First off forgive my tardiness in getting this AAR posted. Be advised that my spelling and grammar will suck, I am a tow truck driver for crissakes! :):

I was a little concerned when I left my house as to whether or not I would even make it to the range, the road conditions were fairly nasty and although I am a skilled driving professional it is usually the other dingbats on the road that I have problems with. However, I made it to my destination unharmed and with a somewhat normal blood pressure.

I was greeted by the cherubic Viray brothers and Tom H., and got signed in.

Note: This class was geared toward winter carry.

The first half of the day was purely class room lecture stuff.

1) Brief introduction of John, Joe and Tom. Granger showed up a little later.

2) Safety, enough said.

3) John lectured us on the different methods of carry and the pros and cons of each. (Also, I had brought 3 of the Raven Concealment Vangaurd trigger/holster doohickies that INGO's very own Shay VanVlymen designed. I think these are great and make carrying a Glock very flexible, John V. agreed with me. Kudos for a great product Shay and Kudos to the Raven boys for the fine execution of the idea.)

4) Tom H. gave us a VERY interesting lecture on cold weather health concerns. I can say I learned more about cold weather health issues in Toms 1 hour lecture than I did in high school.

5) While still in the club house, we did some practice drawing from concealment while wearing what we would normally wear during the winter months. If you have never drawn your CCW while wearing your favorite hoodie,parka, coat or jacket, you are in for a rude awakening. See, I have actually practiced this before and for some reason I initially tried to draw a different way, I was quickly, yet politely, corrected by Joe. I am sure the other students quickly felt the same as I did and I bet a whole dollar that some are reconsidering how they carry their chosen firearm.

6) We headed out to the range for some live fire drills, and everyone did a quick function check on their weapon and ran some rounds thru them. John started us off doing nothing but drawing from concealment, as this is a very important aspect, if you can't get to your gun, what good is it to carry it.

John then had us do some movement drills, mostly lateral type stuff to put distance between you and the attacker, then square up, draw, and then take the shot/shots. This proved to be difficult for some, OK mostly me, as the ground was snowy and slick, I didn't completely fall but I did look like a break dancer!

Joe kept a good eye on all of us to make sure we were being safe and to give personal instruction and pointers. Joe later did a brief tutoral on malfunctions, types, reasons and most importantly how to remedy the problem quickly.

We also started to incorporate mag changes and induced weapon stoppages in all the drills from here on out.

Now comes the fun part, the figure 8 drill. This drill gives you the ability to simulate a 360 degree enviroment. This is difficult for me to describe in words, again I am only a tow truck driver, but this is by far my favorite drill. This drill makes you think, move, think some more and then shoot.

For those in the class that seen my SNAFU mag change/transition, I cannot explain why/how I managed to confuse a S&W442 for a Glock mag, but I did. :dunno:

I like to thank John, Joe, Tom and Granger for putting this class together, I learned a lot and I am positive the other students did as well.

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    thanks for the review, craig. your transition to your bug couldn't have been better if you had planned to do so. you drew your primary back to a retention position and engaged the target with your j frame. very nicely done. we do work on that in the 201 class.
    doctor tom is truly an engaging speaker.

Fenway

no longer pays the bills
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    behind you
    Thanks for posting that AAR Craig! It was good to see you! Thanks to Rhino and obijohn for putting on the class!

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Now comes the fun part, the figure 8 drill. This drill gives you the ability to simulate a 360 degree enviroment. This is difficult for me to describe in words, again I am only a tow truck driver, but this is by far my favorite drill. This drill makes you think, move, think some more and then shoot.
    I agree this was a great drill. It left me with unforgettable memories of running the gun dry and mag change while hearing a loud stereo simultaneous command from John and Joe to "MOVE."

Last edited:

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    I agree this was a great drill. It left me with unforgettable memories of running the gun dry and mag change while hearing a loud stereo simultaneous command from John and Joe to "MOVE."

well, you know by that point, if you aren't shooting, you better be moving. if not, rhino will go all "drill seargent" on you!:D

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Yes, apparently my shift in "personality" was source of amusement.

Thanks for the review, Craig. I have to reiterate that some part of you took over and handled the situation you call a "snafu" perfectly. I think it's likely you got shots onto the target with your snubbie sooner than you would have if you had reloaded your Glock too. Something to think about for everyone ...

We (the ACT team) probably learned as much if not more than most of the students. We'll continue to fine tune and adapt and each time I hope we'll provide a better product.

The weather wasn't very cooperative, though! It wasn't cold or windy enough for my liking and the roads were probably too dangerous to drive before sunrise and after sunset. I hope most of you were able to get home and off of the roads before the sun went down.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    well, you know by that point, if you aren't shooting, you better be moving. if not, rhino will go all "drill seargent" on you!:D
    It worked for me. Now, I can hardly reach for the mag release without at least side stepping. The only hard part is trying to eliminate the chuckle that goes along with that move. :):

Top Bottom