• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    Several of us had the pleasure of spending a beautiful December evening with the ACT crew yesterday learning or improving low light skills, and I wanted to put a little something out here for any others who might be considering it.

Why spend a December evening learning or improving your low light skills? I think we all know that a fair number of the "bad days" we'll have and the problems we'll have to solve will come at night or in other darker/low-light situations. Maybe at night in an alley, maybe in your home, maybe in a poorly lit bar or parking lot, a gas station, an ATM, whatever. You can believe whatever study you like, but it seems that 80% is a *conservative* number. Knowing that when your fight happens it will PROBABLY happen in low light, neglecting to train for that would be... well, negligent. And stupid. If you believe in training, and if you care about preparing for YOUR bad day, you NEED to work on your low light skills. I did, too, so I signed up to learn from the guys at ACT.

Why ACT? Several reasons, for me. First, experience -- I've trained with them before and always had great experiences. Other factors that are much further down the list for me are convenience and value -- ACT frequently offers classes that aren't too far away, don't require hotels and a lot of planning, and are priced in a way that encourages EVERYONE to come out and learn. They clearly are not trying to get rich off of training and price it at levels that are easy for many to reach even without saving up for it. They seem to have a passion for sharing information, helping everyone improve, and having a great time.

I'm not sure how John keeps arranging the great weather he does, but 60-ish degrees in December? It was actually too warm for me and I had to pull off the light jacket I was wearing a couple of times to cool down. So props to John for weather, again.

Joseph (rhino) was the lead instructor for this one. We started off in the classroom, briefly, to talk about what we'd be learning. He covered quite a few key points in why to carry a light, how to choose a light that works for you, how to use it with your firearm and without it, etc. We had the opportunity to try out some lights and some positions before moving to the range. Once that was done, we headed out into the dark to try it all.

We started off slowly, simply, and as the night wore on, we worked our way through progressively more complex, more demanding exercises. I won't go into much detail, as I don't think it's my place to give away their material, but by the end of the night, everyone was getting solid hits on steel at reasonable distances in the dark, using their lights in combination with their firearms, and solving problems in the dark. I learned some things that did work for me, and a few that didn't -- more work for another day (night). There were two different "higher-level" scenarios toward the end of the evening that let each of us push ourselves a little more. One was the figure 8, for any of you who've trained with ACT before, but with a really aggressive new mover. He might be less aggressive in the future, having met Natalie, but he was still pretty rough last night. The other scenario was essentially a simple shoot house where you start off in your cozy bed, sugar plums and all (I'm still not sure why rhino was in my house whispering in my ear at night, but that's a question for another day...) when up on the roof (or down the hall) arises such a clatter that you feel it necessary to check it out. Saint Nick was nowhere to be found, unless he was the guy with the tattoo. Note the past tense "was", as opposed to "is" (coughcough). No, it was not ME who smoked Santa Charles. I have no recollection of who that might have been, but it's a .45acp-sized hole. Also, if you've never seen a house cleared Gangnam-style by a guy who carries 17 guns, 42 knives, and a still-unknown quantity of lights on his belt or in the footies of his pajamas, you haven't lived.

Anyway, the main point here is that this was a great chance to learn and improve, at a price that makes me think there should be a LOT more people doing it. If you're really already so good that you don't think you could get better, well, you win. For the rest of us, though, this is a great example of training that is CRITICAL in your development, in your pursuit of improvement or perfection, in a location that's convenient for many (60-90 mile drive for most INGOers, I'd guess), and at a very reasonable, accessible price. Do yourself a favor, do your family or those you might protect a favor, and learn. ACT creates a very friendly environment and would be a great place to start your journey down the path of improving your chances at surviving a bad day.

Thanks again to ACT and to my fellow students -- it was great to meet those of you I haven't met before and to see the others again. Always a pleasure.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    Good review!
    This is the next step in my training (once I get some time), and look forward to it.

Where was the class held? And there was a shoot house of some sort?

LOL on the Gangnam style! Great visual there!

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    Good review!
    This is the next step in my training (once I get some time), and look forward to it.

LOL on the Gangnam style! Great visual there!

Riley, same place you went for 201. Yes, a shoot house, of sorts. Barrels, not timbers, one at a time, but the same idea. And they had pi.

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    We may have to do an entire clas gangnam style in the future. Thanks, ICP, glad you had a productive evening.

RobbyMaq--we are trying to get our ducks in a row for one more go at this class before the time change.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    --we are trying to get our ducks in a row for one more go at this class before the time change.

That would be great! It ain't the same without quarter sized snowflakes into the beams of flashlights.

Good class as always. The format normally is very good to challenge, but the addition of the mover and complex lighting made for an excellent learning environment.

A light bulb moment came for me when I messed up a mag change and ended up with the mag and (brand spanking new) Surefire in the gravel. I got another mag in the gun and unleashed a half dozen rounds on that bad piece of steel very quickly. OH MY, it was much easier to shoot well with two hands on the gun, even though I could barely see the target.

Something I might have missed was discussion on using your trigger finger for weapon light manipulation. The weapon light I tried on the "blue" gun seemed awkward to switch the light on and off?

One way or another; Yes, can we please do this critical work more often?

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    First, thanks to all who joined us, especially our repeat customers! We had a good time and I hope everyone learned a little (I know I did!).

. . . Also, if you've never seen a house cleared Gangnam-style by a guy who carries 17 guns, 42 knives, and a still-unknown quantity of lights on his belt or in the footies of his pajamas, you haven't lived.

That's what we call "value added features." Thanks for the thoughtful review, ICP!

Riley Conservation Club near Terre Haute, sir! The "shoot house" was a construst of barrels and not a permanent structure. It serves pretty well for those who approach with a learning intent, though, especially in the dark.

+1 Have always had a good experience with ACT.

Thank you, sir! I'm glad that we continue to provide a beneficial service and that it's appreciated.

. . . Something I might have missed was discussion on using your trigger finger for weapon light manipulation. The weapon light I tried on the "blue" gun seemed awkward to switch the light on and off?

One way or another; Yes, can we please do this critical work more often?

You did miss some pre-class discussion of using weapon-mounted lights. I used one for the first time (significantly) in the recent Active Shooter Response Class with Fortress Defense/Glock21. During that class, I felt more awkward that I should have trying to manipulate the light. Part of that was a need for more experience and practice, and part was because my short digits make using the switches more challenging. I found that I like being able I found that I liked being able to shoot with both hands, but I was only able to do so if I switched the light on (i.e. not momentary). There's no way I can reach switches with either hand well enough to use the light intermittently and still shoot.

I'm obviously no expert on this, but I think you're better served to use your support hand thumb or other finger to work the switch. It may necessitate shifting your grip a little (or maybe not). It's going to depend on your hands, the gun you're using, and the way the light is configured. I think I might do better with a single stack 1911 with the light mounted closer to the trigger, but I don't have a 1911 with a rail.

If you want to borrow my TLR-1 to try it, you are welcome to do so.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Sounds like a good class.:yesway: Low light is a little like Force on Force, for the life of me I can't figure out why more people don't make those classes a priority. They contain the most likely type of info to be needed.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Sounds like a good class.:yesway: Low light is a little like Force on Force, for the life of me I can't figure out why more people don't make those classes a priority. They contain the most likely type of info to be needed.

We may never know!

Maybe we'll see more new faces alongside our regulars in 2013. We're going to try to do some kind of low light live fire stuff as many times as we can before the time changes and it stays light too long.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I'd certainly like to try out rifle weapon lights the next time. That would be another area that doesn't get touched much.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    DP205b Low Light Redemption

Well, to start off my AAR, I am happy to report that I did NOT pull of my best Tex Grebner imitation this year. Yay me!

That said, as usual the ACT guys are top notch! The training is awesome, and the best part is it all builds on itself. What I struggled with last year was primarily, I believe, due to my inexperience. This time I was able to almost "breeze" through with out thinking. This allowed me to focus on light usage and techniques. Though I still need work on that part ;)

I really enjoyed the house scenario, and the figure 8 drill. (Never thought I would say that about the figure 8 drill) Being at the initial unveiling of the moving target and seeing a completely different use for it at the low light class really shows how interesting and dynamic it can make range style training.

Thanks to everyone for the help, and encouragement during the class, and thank to the 'Men of ACT' for another awesome experience. This makes 2 classes in a row with ACT that I have not been physically attached by Granger. :)

Special thanks goes out to iChokePeople for the gracious use of some 550 paracord. Though I had to give blood (against my will) while being chocked out in order to borrow it, 550 cord made from unicorn tears is really worth the effort.

TwinSix

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 29, 2010
    Indy South Side
    DP205B

This is class is a great value. It builds on the same skills that ACT teaches throughout all their classes.

Many people think if they put a $150 light on the end of their gun they are G.T.G. But they never use it or practice with it. If you DO decide to practice with it, you quickly find it marginal at best by itself. Combine it with a quality hand held light for L.I.E. (Locate, IDENTIFY, Engage) and you begin building a nice system.

Do Not overestimate your abilities... poking holes in targets at the range at 3:00pm with some buddies is a whole lot different than Moving, Locating, Indentifying and putting QUALITY hits on targets IN THE DARK.

If I only do 1 class a year, for my limited time availability, proximity, and value, this is it.

Thanks ACT, and to all the shooters who were safe Saturday!

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2009
    This was my third class with ACT and as other people have already said these guys are great and demonstrate a genuine desire to help you learn and master the material. As to the class: great class, great material, and wow is shooting in the dark different than shooting in the daylight. Trying to handle a light and pistol at the same time takes a lot of getting used to and is not something I would like to try to start mastering when faced with a dangerous situation.

The class provided me with a good learning experience and gave me plenty of material to work on at home. I would take this class again, and hope to do so soon. If you are on the fence about training with ACT, get off of it and try out a class--they teach practical methods in a friendly manner and are great guys.

Top Bottom