• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sentinelrepublic

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Noblesville
    I know there are options out there for me to mount a red dot on my ar and keep my a2 front sight on.
    Has anyone done this on there ar, and If so can you tell me what your set up is and maybe some pics?

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    This is a very common setup. You will indeed see some front sight post in your field-of-view, but it won't "block" your red dot. Actually using one would make more sense than I can here in words.

I ran this Aimpoint on my old Bushmaster.

30igy03.jpg

Even a micro RDS isn't a problem.

nbd6gx.jpg

iamaclone45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    Indiana
    Can you clarify your question?

The front sight should not be interfering with any kind of red dot. Are you talking about co-witnessing the dot with the front sight?

picture.php

iamaclone45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    Indiana
    You should be good to go. Secure the optic to the top rail and shoot away. The front sight should not be interfering with the optic.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    eigther or, I'm looking for optic/ moutnting options that allow me to keep my a2 front sights on.

Any mount that is for a flat-top AR-15 will work with your A2 FSP. Some companies will give you two different height options-- absolute cowitness or lower 1/3 cowitness. The difference is very small, but it depends on how much of that FSP you want visible through the optic window.

mainjet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Lowell
    I have shot this setup and the front sight was no factor. You could see it but it did not interfere at all with the optic or with targeting. It just kind of goes away.

IMG_0522.jpg

mainjet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Lowell
    Well to tell you the truth I am not sure what brand that mag is. That was at the Scottsdale Gun Club and that is a full auto M4 that I rented when I was out there. The mags worked great with no problems what so ever. But as to brand:dunno: Your guess is better than mine:D

Citronman1980

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    McCordsville, IN
    I've had my Eotech on my AR for about 3 months. I hated the front post being in my line of sight (I'm particular I guess) and never got used to it being there.

I decided to take matters into my own hands this weekend and cut mine off instead of trying to install a low profile gas block.

Here is the only picture I have of it:
    IMAG1744.jpg

I cut it off with a Dremel and then took it over to the bench grinder to lower and round it up a bit. It has been shaped up a bit more since the above picture and I'm going to apply some gun blue this weekend.

I just received my front MBUS this morning from AIM and I'll be putting that on this evening.

mvician

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    NW Indiana
    I just received my front MBUS this morning from AIM and I'll be putting that on this evening.

I believe you will have problems with the different heights of the receiver rail and putting a rail on the MOE to mount the MBUS. Not to mention the MOE or any other drop in handguard is not stable enough for sights or optics.

Specs right from Magpuls website.

Features
    • Impact resistant polymer construction provides light weight and resists operational abuse
    • Spring-loaded flip up sight easily activated from either side or by pressing the top
    • Detent and spring pressure keeps sight erect but allows for unobstructed folding under impact, etc.
    • Clamps to any standard mil-spec 1913 Picatinny railed hand guard and provides the same height-over-bore as standard A2 irons
    • Protective wings shield the standard A2 front sight post
    NOTE: Cannot be mounted to a railed gas block due to excess heat issues. Front MBUS must be mounted to a railed fore end on the same plane as the receiver rail. Because of this the sight is not compatible with the MOE Hand Guard.

pay attention to the last paragraph.

Last edited:

Citronman1980

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    McCordsville, IN
    I believe you will have problems with the different heights of the receiver rail and putting a rail on the MOE to mount the MBUS. Not to mention the MOE or any other drop in handguard is not stable enough for sights or optics.

Specs right from Magpuls website.

pay attention to the last paragraph.

Bummer! :( Looks like it will go onto my other AR.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    That looks like a tapco mag.

Well to tell you the truth I am not sure what brand that mag is.

That mag is a Tango Down

mvician is on it! That mag is a Tango Down ARC. Scottsdale Gun Club, who is also U.S. Palm, has a working relationship with TD, so it makes sense that they use those mags in the rentals.

TangoDown

Bummer! :( Looks like it will go onto my other AR.

Not all is lost Matt! Now that your FSB is cut down, simply buy a 9" (or longer) free-floating rail and cover everything up. Then mount your MBUS to that.

Citronman1980

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    McCordsville, IN
    That is what I was pondering on the drive home this evening, with replacing it with a quad rail. But I sure do like my MOE system.

Has anyone had experiences with the front sight melting while attached? I've done a few searches and nothing has come up, just people and the manufacture (wish I would have caught that earlier) saying not to do it. :dunno:

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Has anyone had experiences with the front sight melting while attached? I've done a few searches and nothing has come up, just people and the manufacture (wish I would have caught that earlier) saying not to do it. :dunno:

The issue that mvician was trying to point out wasn't about heat, but about your front sight being mounted on a different plane than your rear sight. If you try to mount your front sight on top of your MOE handguard, it will be WAY too high and it won't line up with your rear sight.

The heat issue is for folks who try to mount their front MBUS to their railed gas block, which gets very hot when firing.

Something like this MI rail would be easy to install, and would cover up everything nicely. You could then mount your front MBUS to it.

Midwest Industries: 10" Carbine Length

And there are even less expensive alternatives.

Citronman1980

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    McCordsville, IN
    I see, said the blind man. :)

That was the exact rail I had in mind.

I went ahead and installed the front MBUS. I turned the front site down as far as it can go. Going to hit up the range on Thursday to give it a whirl.

Top Bottom