• ...and so much more!
  • 4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    A Tin Ear to the Coming Populist Revolt

It was the great taxpayer revolt of 2007. Indianapolis taxpayers fed up with increasing property taxes and a dramatic increase in Marion County's local option income tax, overthrew the popular Mayor of Indianapolis Bart Peterson, replacing him with the unknown Republican Greg Ballard. It was a populist revolt that had repercussions throughout the state. In 2008, fearful legislators enacted property tax reform, which Republicans and some Democrats want to make permanent by writing the caps contained in the 2008 reform into the Constitution. As the 2009 legislature proceeds, however, legislators appear to begin backing off the property tax reforms.

Three months deep into 2009, taxpayer activists are told that any populist uprising now would be merely an aftershock of the 2007 earthquake. Wrong analogy. What happened in 2007 was World War I. It was called "The Great War" at the time. But what they didn't know then was that a much bigger war, World War II, was just down the road.

I could be wrong. My crystal ball has been cloudy before. But I have never seen this level of populist anger in the electorate. It easily dwarfs that of 2007 and appears to be growing larger every day. Elected officials do not seem concerned, seemingly oblivious to the storm clouds on the horizon. This should be an interesting next couple of elections.

Posted by Paul K. Ogden

REVOLT AT THE STATE HOUSE

THOUSANDS rally in Cincinnati -- REVOLT AT THE STATE HOUSE NEEDS SIMILAR CROWD

The folks helping with Revolt At The State House organized property tax protests in 2007 drawing four hundred to one thousand taxpayers. We are doing more publicity than we did in 2007, but those numbers are no longer enough. While we know that March 25th is a work day and will be a hardship for some to join us, we need everyone who feels called to this project to find a way to be there to help us reign in local (state) government spending and demand transparency.

This Revolt will be powerful because it is taking place INSIDE the state house while legislators are in session!

Please help us publicize the Revolt. Get involved. Volunteer!
    Volunteer email: statehouserevolt@gmail.com

Thousands Rally Downtown Against Government Spending
    CINCINNATI -- Thousands of Tri-State residents gathered Sunday on Fountain Square in downtown Cincinnati to voice their opposition to government spending bills recently signed by President Barack Obama.

The group called itself the Cincinnati Tea Party, modeled after the Boston Tea Party of 1773.
    Many of the demonstrators carried signs with slogans that said "Honk if I'mpaying your mortgage" or "Stop spending my allowance." Some even woretea bags on their hats to make their point.

Cincinnati police estimated the crowd at 4,000 people. Many who spoke with News 5 Sunday afternoon said they're angry, including Congresswoman Jean Schmidt.

"I bet there's 5,000 people here and they're mad, just as I'm mad. They have a right to be mad at the unbridled spending that's happening inWashington," said Schmidt.

Protesters argued that the government shouldn't be spending money it doesn't have and they fear taxes and deflation will follow.

"The money you have now will be worth half as much next year, if they keepspending this money. They've got to stop spending this money," saidMike Sparks.

Protestors signed a petition rejecting the stimulus package. Organizers said they planned to gather again on April 15 and march the petition to city hall.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAaM2SfThhM

Last edited:
    Top Bottom