• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    I don't know how many times I've seen it at a training class, steel plate challenge or some kind of a match that someone forgets to click off their safety. I know for me I will never carry a handgun with an external safety. Is it a training issue, sure it is but it's not for me.
    :+1:

A safety won't get you killed, but a 1911 will because they are crappy unreliable guns. :D
    :+1: You are actually right...they are much heavier, much more expensive, hold 1/2 as many rounds, and are drastically less reliable than a modern plastic fantastic (Glock, S&W, etc.). With what other firearm can you find so many threads about FTF and malfunctions, with custom work needed to get them to feed HP bullets...none. It is a great gun, I really like mine. But it is not a good carry piece for so many reasons, not to mention the safety issue. ;)

bigretic

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    back to topic, I carry various models, some even with RH frame safety even though I am LH. I am keenly aware to an almost paranoid state when I am carrying anything with a frame safety and have practiced with each on method of draw per firearm depending. I have no issue with any of them but I am well aware of what I have on my hip.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    back to topic, I carry various models, some even with RH frame safety even though I am LH. I am keenly aware to an almost paranoid state when I am carrying anything with a frame safety and have practiced with each on method of draw per firearm depending. I have no issue with any of them but I am well aware of what I have on my hip.

And all of that "keen awareness" will turn to complete **** the second the adrenaline dumps. I seen a very competent and well trained shooter autopilot into malfunction drills when he forgot to click the safety off on a gun he wasn't used to... and that was just the stress of a timer.

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    And all of that "keen awareness" will turn to complete **** the second the adrenaline dumps. I seen a very competent and well trained shooter autopilot into malfunction drills when he forgot to click the safety off on a gun he wasn't used to... and that was just the stress of a timer.
    It's always pretty embarrassing watching a guy do a tap rack on a 1911 because he thinks he has a malfunction but only to find out that he forgot to disengage the safety.

Joegrz308

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2015
    Lake County
    Kinda crazy, I have used 1911's for many years for police work, competition and defense. I have no fear that the safety would be any kind of issue.:rockwoot:

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    The whole safety thing is nothing but a training issue. When I carried a Beretta it was mandated on fire with a round Chambered. The safety never magically became engaged. I was at a conference and LA Sheriff Dept was mandated to carry theirs with a safety engaged. They had trained to do a downward swipe like a 1911 and the safety disengages. I tried it and it does work. The fear of the Beretta m9/92 having the safety engaged by accident was really not an issue.

And I also have seen those shooters have issues with 1911's at pistol matches. I don't blame the gun or safety. Again a training issue. And without trying to sound like I am profiling anyone the ones I observed having issued would have messed up a Glock too. I see the same ones when I am qualifying 800 plus folks. Some people are just going to screw the pooch from time to time whether they have a revolver, Glock or 1911

Just don't be that guy yourself

Top Bottom