• ...and so much more!
  • snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    363   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I was driving through SE Indiana looking at properties yesterday. It was mostly overcast. While stopped at a temporary traffic light in New Pekin I happened to look up and a C17 came in low through appearing out of the overcast, making a brief appearance, then disappearing back into the misty clouds. It was one of those "like a movie" moments.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I’ve never seen a B52 in real life much less flying over the house. That neat. Once, when were living in Bloomington, they had some WW2 warbirds on display out at the airport and I got to see a B17 fly close by.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I’ve never seen a B52 in real life much less flying over the house. That neat. Once, when were living in Bloomington, they had some WW2 warbirds on display out at the airport and I got to see a B17 fly close by.
    This was only the third time I’ve ever seen one in the real. One of the other times was maybe 25 years ago at Thunder, and once at the Dayton air show.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    Years back, I did a walking tour or Wright Patterson AFB Museum. Was really an eye opener as to the sheer sizes of real aircraft, tires, wingspan, engine cowling size, how tall the rear tails stood.
    Seen some others at Grissom, and also a few of the older WW2 Warbirds flying in and out of Valparaiso Airport. The engines noise are very loud. You can smell the AV fuel burning.
    They are history and awesome.
    Go visit and enjoy those sights. Worth the trip.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Years back, I did a walking tour or Wright Patterson AFB Museum. Was really an eye opener as to the sheer sizes of real aircraft, tires, wingspan, engine cowling size, how tall the rear tails stood.
    Seen some others at Grissom, and also a few of the older WW2 Warbirds flying in and out of Valparaiso Airport. The engines noise are very loud. You can smell the AV fuel burning.
    They are history and awesome.
    Go visit and enjoy those sights. Worth the trip.
    I used to be able to identify the warbirds by sound, but in the last couple of decades you just don’t see or hear as many. I think the two coolest sounding aircraft I’ve heard were the F14 tomcat and the F4u corsair. Both have a sound that you never forget.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    They have a B52 in the Wright Patterson Air museum in the building. There is something amazing when you walk under the 185 foot wingspan, see the mass of the thing and realize that it can fly over 600 MPH. It is pretty pricey, but the EAA gives sky rides in their B17. one of those one in a lifetime things.

Max Volume

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    da region Highland
    The largest tires I've seen were on the B-36 at Wright Patterson. Also love the B-58 Hustler and they were
    stationed at Grissom back in the 60's. Read somewhere that a training mission was bombing
    Chicago. How appropriate.

Reactions: Leo
    Top Bottom