• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • juggaloxjj4

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    So how hard and expesnive is it to build your own ar 15? i have been lookin it up on the internet and it dosent look too extreamly hard because i know how to take apart and field strip an ar but things like the trigger assembly im a little bit iffy about.

But i think you can buy lower recivers with that already set up. but im not totally sure about that.

So can someone give me some advice before i start blowin more money away.lol

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    You can build your own cheaper than buying completely assembled and pick your own components. There are many videos and instructions to guide you through the process but the best thing to do is attend an INGO AR build party where the resident experts with their vast experience and fabulous bags-o-tools can guide and assist you through every detail. It goes well beyond field stripping but not at all a daunting task. Many have offered their help and tools on a private basis as well.:yesway:

fpdshooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Fishers
    If you can follow some simple instructions, building up a stripped lower is VERY easy. Most companies do offer complete lowers as well.

By building these up yourself you will save the 11% FET tax that builders must charge.

Take my advice, by right or buy twice! Shop around and figure out what you want versus what you need. Buy quality parts, especially if you think you will ever need this for a defensive or offensive use! There is a lot of junk out there so do your homework.

LaRue, Colt, BCM, LMT, LWRCI, Noveske are all GTG for work rifles when looking for trouble.

Stag, S&W, Sabre Defense, and DoubleStar are GTG for hard use guns that may find themselves used for work occasionally.

Bushmaster is hit and miss. I have used them before for work rifles with no problem. I have also sent rifles back to the factory that guys tried to use that just flat would not run.

DPMS - ? some good, some not so.

Model 1, others like them - well, you pay your money you takes your chances. It might work for a long time, it might only work until you need it to.

These are my opinions, but these are my opinions based on my experiences carrying a rifle for the last 10 years, training my guys who carry them for the last 9 years, and teaching other instructors for the last 6 years.

If you would like more help feel free to shoot me a PM.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    It is true, you can build your own cheaper than buying. HOWEVER, it is very very very difficult to get some of the parts lately. So while it can be done cheaper, and while it is not hard to do, the parts sourcing is the issue.

And unfortunately we are seeing price gouging on all parts. Lower Parts kits, that used to go 'on sale' for about $45 to $50 with a regular price of roughly $60 now are regularly seen selling for roughly $100. Lower receivers that typically sold for $90 to $150 (depending on brand/quality) now often fetch $150 to $300. All parts are being hoarded. I've managed to find realistic prices on most things, but it is often a situation of order the parts and wait for weeks, even months, before the part is delivered.

On the other hand, I've seen fully built ARs from several brands for sale in the $800 price range and that is not a bad deal at all.

Bronsonbull

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 20, 2008
    just north of Indy
    The answer is roughly $600 for a decent build (if you want it this month). If you can wait a few months then you can build one for $550 or less.

Here's what you do:

1. order an Essential Arms Lower for $100 ($130 after shipping and FFL fees)
    2. order a 16" Mid-sized Kit from M&A Parts ($500 shipped)

$630 for a pretty darn nice AR kit that equals any of the starter DPMS, RRA, OLY and STAG rifles out there for roughly $300-$500 less (IMHO).

joker7037

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    What about RRA parts are they any good? I saw on their site the have a LPK for $70 with standard trigger or $180 for a two stage? What is the difference? I am taking advantage of the INGO Cavalry Arms stripped lower offer and want to know if this lpk will work? Also looking at RRA 20" varmint A4 complete upper, will this work as well?
    Thanks for any answers to my un-educated questions.

fpdshooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Fishers
    RRA is good. The two stage is a match type trigger. While I believe most of their stuff is good quality, I've seen several two stage triggers break. They have become a product of thier success. Meaning that they used to be REALLY good, got popular and cut some corners to get guns out faster, and now are on the path to getting good again. Much like Bushmaster in the late 90's.

Unless you are going to scope it, I'd avoid the two stage. The standard trigger is fine, especially after use.

RRA LPK's would be a good investment I'd say.

fpdshooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Fishers
    The 20 in upper will be fine, especially if you are scoping it. It is a bit long for my tastes for a fighting rifle, but that is just my taste and may not be yours.

For a target rifle or hunting small game, it would fit that niche well.

Top Bottom