• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sofrosune

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    I was pleasantly surprised (shocked?) to find this pro-gun or gun-neutral, factually-accurate article on Vice.com. Aside from the obligatory link to a study showing the "dangers" of having a gun in the home, it was nice article about the joys of shooting and the importance of firearms to some in maintaining memories of family.

What I Learned About My Father from Inheriting His Guns | VICE | United States

EDIT: FWIW, it looks like it originally appeared on thetrace.org https://www.thetrace.org/2016/07/what-i-learned-inheriting-guns-arkansas/

sofrosune

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    My jaw nearly dropped when she started going into detail on her pre-64 Winchester. Totally incongruent with what I was expecting.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Good story. This line particularly struck me:

It occurred to me one night, in the panicky way facts snap into inescapable clarity as you're trying to fall asleep, that my dad's family had disappeared.

That day you realize you're the "old man" of the family now is a melancholy day.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    Bitter sweet, not so much from a gun point of view, but from a life point of view. Reminder for me not to treat my granddaughter different from my grandsons, each will get a gun from my collection.

MuttX7

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2015
    Monroe County
    Good story. The first gun I ever owned came from Arkansas. It was a .30-30 my grandfather gave me. When he found out I couldn't hunt with it he traded me an Ithaca 20 gauge for it. It has a chip out of the stock and my uncle told me I should have it fixed. I told him it is only cosmetic and I will keep the gun in the same condition it was in when my grandpa used it.

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Bitter sweet, not so much from a gun point of view, but from a life point of view. Reminder for me not to treat my granddaughter different from my grandsons, each will get a gun from my collection.

I'm glad to hear that sentiment. When I was growing up, my brother, sister, and I were all taken shooting by my dad (though I was the one that had to cajole him into getting back into shooting again, which he hadn't done since he left his home town in upstate New York after High School). While it didn't really stick with my brother or my sister, I know both of them are a lot more comfortable with firearms and firearms ownership than most people who are never exposed. As for me, it started a life long (well, I hope a life long) love of shooting and collecting firearms. I don't know if I'll have kids, but I fully intend to teach my two nephews to shoot when they are old enough (and if their parents let me) and any nieces that might come along as well.

level0

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 13, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I inherited my granddad's Winchester model 42 410. My son will get it from me. I can tell you right now, if my house is on fire I'm saving that gun and the popcorn bowl my daughter made me. Everything else can go.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I inherited my granddad's Winchester model 42 410. My son will get it from me. I can tell you right now, if my house is on fire I'm saving that gun and the popcorn bowl my daughter made me. Everything else can go.

The finest pump action shotgun ever made...Period...We may not agree on much but I think that is one we can agree on....The fact your granddad owned that at a time when most owned 12 gauges tells me he was a sportsman as well...

I have an article somewhere in a Grays Sporting Journal about a young man who was kind of embarrassed when he went to a dove shoot and his granddad had a model 42 .410... "In my eyes that was a "kids" gun and I felt Papaw should be shooting a "mans" gun like a 12 gauge...As we got to the shoot I noticed how the other old men treated my granddad with a great deal of respect...When I asked one of them why he said, "It takes a real man to hunt dove with a .410, any jake leg can take them with a 12 gauge but a .410??? You got to be good to pull that off son..."

level0

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 13, 2013
    Indianapolis
    The finest pump action shotgun ever made...Period...We may not agree on much but I think that is one we can agree on....The fact your granddad owned that at a time when most owned 12 gauges tells me he was a sportsman as well...

I have an article somewhere in a Grays Sporting Journal about a young man who was kind of embarrassed when he went to a dove shoot and his granddad had a model 42 .410... "In my eyes that was a "kids" gun and I felt Papaw should be shooting a "mans" gun like a 12 gauge...As we got to the shoot I noticed how the other old men treated my granddad with a great deal of respect...When I asked one of them why he said, "It takes a real man to hunt dove with a .410, any jake leg can take them with a 12 gauge but a .410??? You got to be good to pull that off son..."
    You are too kind, sir. My granddad was a fair shot, but it's my dad who is the real shot in the family - even now at age 77. I've seen my granddad get two quail on the rise with one shot many times, but my dad is the only person I've ever seen get three (with a 20 gauge).

That Model 42 has a long reach, after I cut my teeth on an H&R Topper, my granddad let me hunt with his 410 until I got a rifle...so from 10 to 14 I hunted squirrel and quail with that 410. I would not hesitate now to hunt with it again, I'm sure it would put a big smile on my face.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    You are too kind, sir. My granddad was a fair shot, but it's my dad who is the real shot in the family - even now at age 77. I've seen my granddad get two quail on the rise with one shot many times, but my dad is the only person I've ever seen get three (with a 20 gauge).

That Model 42 has a long reach, after I cut my teeth on an H&R Topper, my granddad let me hunt with his 410 until I got a rifle...so from 10 to 14 I hunted squirrel and quail with that 410. I would not hesitate now to hunt with it again, I'm sure it would put a big smile on my face.

Thank you for the kind words and sharing that bit of family lore.....Sincerely...We have sparred a few times on issues of faith and politics and it's nice to put that stuff aside and share the things we agree on...

Peace and Blessings to you good sir....Oh...And if you want to get a shock check completed auctions for model 42's on gunbroker...Ouch!!!! LOL....You have a treasure and it's good to know it's going to stay where the Good Lord (or Darwin! :)) intended it to be...

Regards,

Rick

level0

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 13, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Well, I can't say as I remember sparring on faith - I'm a live and let live kind of guy, so I'll say I was probably off base if I stuck my nose where it doesn't belong. Politics can get me riled, but I have friends and family that are way more left than I care for - but they are still friends and family.

Kindest,

Rolf

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Well, I can't say as I remember sparring on faith - I'm a live and let live kind of guy, so I'll say I was probably off base if I stuck my nose where it doesn't belong. Politics can get me riled, but I have friends and family that are way more left than I care for - but they are still friends and family.

Kindest,

Rolf

"It's not you it's me...":)

Have a good weekend Rolf...

Top Bottom