• ...and so much more!
  • Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    The book “Patriots“ “a book for survival in the upcoming collapse” by James W Rawles
    if anybody reads this book you’ll see it written just for us (the preparation types). If you liked “The first second” or any of that trilogy this book is next level stuff. I’m on the second chap. and this info is truly needed by us.

Mods. You’ll hopefully agree, this is the appropriate placement for this posting. If not please forgive me and put it where it belongs. Thanks.
    Mij.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    362   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    FYI there are 4-5 books total. First one is more textbook, rest get more story oriented. All are good reads. I found it funny the James Wesley, Rawles later said if he were writing it today, the standard handgun would probably be a Glock 21, not a 1911.

Mij

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Take your word for it. Like I said I’m only on second chap. haven’t researched the author. I’ll do that after reading this one if I like his work. That’s how I found Forstchens second and third after reading One Second After. Scary stuff, but certainly thought provoking. They are currently making the rounds of family. I would pass them on when I get them all back. They should all go as one.

Lot of controversy around Forstchens EMP stuff, but nonetheless gives you things and situation’s to take into consideration for you and yours. As they say “fortune favors the prepared.”

Interesting about the sidearm, I may or may not have a couple of both.
    :rolleyes:

Mij

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    By the way I can and will recommend Congressman (ret.) Jim Webb’s “Born Fighting“ non fiction.

And Harold Moore ( col. ret. U.S. Army) and Joe Galloway “We Were Soldiers” non fiction. Blows the movie out of the water. The real story of LZ X-Ray. The movie makes you think it was only a couple days, the real battle encompasses a couple weeks. And many miles with multiple LZ’s. Just FYI. And thanks for the heads-up.

Keeping the sprit of the sub-category in mind, each preparation situation needs a good selection of reading materials on stand by for the down time.:)

Last edited:

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    362   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Is survivalblog even a thing anymore? I used to read that pretty heavy. I liked "patriots" too.
    Yep. https://survivalblog.com/

I used to read it daily but haven't for a while. I had the same reaction as the OP when I read the first book and enjoyed the rest. His non-fiction is basically a set of laundry lists.

remember Patriots is almost a pre-internet novel (ironic as it was first published as shareware) and so was a vehicle to communicate information as well as being a good story.

Reactions: Mij

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    On the list.

One Second After was an instant classic for me. I think I burned through it the first time in practically one sitting.

Mij

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    On the list.

One Second After was an instant classic for me. I think I burned through it the first time in practically one sitting.

Yep, first one, read it in two days, it ain’t Shakespeare. But I had to take a break from the political mind killing non fiction I was stuck on. Seems like every mothers son was putting out a tell all, and after a while it got all fuzzy, didn’t know who to believe or what to think. I needed a break, so I went fiction for a while. Even thought (didn’t) about reading Tolkien for about the forth or fifth time. Wife found a bunch of brand new stuff at goodwill for about fifty cents each, so been going through them. A little brain break if you will.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Yep. https://survivalblog.com/

I used to read it daily but haven't for a while.
    I pop into that blog once or twice a week. Not everything is relevant or interesting for me but usually gather a nugget or two of knowledge weekly.

Another good fiction read I enjoyed was Going Home by Angery American (spelled weird). Subsequent books in the series are fun to read but I got a little burned out on the series and did not finish or read the most recent. Will probably get back to the books.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    The book “Patriots“ “a book for survival in the upcoming collapse” by James W Rawles
    if anybody reads this book you’ll see it written just for us (the preparation types). If you liked “The first second” or any of that trilogy this book is next level stuff. I’m on the second chap. and this info is truly needed by us.

Mods. You’ll hopefully agree, this is the appropriate placement for this posting. If not please forgive me and put it where it belongs. Thanks.
    Mij.
    Working on it now. Man it's taking a long time for any actual story to happen. This makes Neal Stephenson's digressions seem brisk and efficient.

I am enjoying the 90s timestamp on everything. What's a plate carrier? What do you mean ATAC and LPVO? Listen son, pick up your CAR-15 and put on your ALICE gear and stop talking nonsense.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    FYI there are 4-5 books total. First one is more textbook, rest get more story oriented. All are good reads. I found it funny the James Wesley, Rawles later said if he were writing it today, the standard handgun would probably be a Glock 21, not a 1911.
    And he'd still be wrong, since 9mm has supplanted the venerable .45acp as THE self-defense round of choice for most people.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    For those of you thinking in terms of Russia's almost-inevitable melt-down and their probable suicidal Final Tantrum (and keeping in mind the NYC Emergency Management's PSA that went viral recently), Dean Ing's "Pulling Through" is a decent "how to survive a limited nuclear exchange" novel. Not sure of its availability these days, but he's got a website and he may have the rights to publish an ebook version.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Finished Patriots. It was alright. Things drifted into right wing wish fulfillment at the end, and that's speaking as someone who has gotten a lot more right wing the last decade or so. Favorite scene was probably when everyone takes a break to literally just go to PorcFest. And stop trying to sell me silver! I have too many meme coins already. :laugh:

Working on the second one now. It's also okay.

Mij

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    On the list.

He wrote one called one year after that is a decent read too.
    Yes, as stated upstream it’s a trilogy 1 second, 1 day, 1 year if mem serves. And as I said when I get them back I’d be willing to pass them along (my expense) to anybody interested, if they keep them together. Then pass them on. OK, thanks.:yesway:

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Ended up burning through the whole Rawles series. It was okay. Some things got better as the story went on, some didn't.

His characters seem to boil down to either fundamentalist Christians or the bad guys. Literally zero normal people in between. And my god it is remarkable to find someone who has even less of a clue how men and women relate to each other than I do.

Guerilla warfare stuff was good. Wonder how the thermal countermeasures really work in the real world.

Top Bottom