• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JimH

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Stop giving out depredation permits for free so farmers (and I own a farm) can sit in their 90,000 $ pickups or 300,000 $ combine and gut shoot deer all summer. Stop,or greatly reduce the park hunts.

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    Stop giving out depredation permits for free so farmers (and I own a farm) can sit in their 90,000 $ pickups or 300,000 $ combine and gut shoot deer all summer. Stop,or greatly reduce the park hunts.
    Not sure what the situation is now, but I participated in an early park hunt. The were originally instituted because the State Parks had become very overpopulated. This was harming the vegetation in the Parks so the hunts were instituted to reduce the population. Don't know if that is still the situation, but presume if they were stopped the deer population in Parks would rebound.

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    IDNR is just one of the numerous government bureaucracies in Indiana that really know how to screw things up!
    I could go on and on but my computer would burn up! :ugh:

JimH

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Not sure what the situation is now, but I participated in an early park hunt. The were originally instituted because the State Parks had become very overpopulated. This was harming the vegetation in the Parks so the hunts were instituted to reduce the population. Don't know if that is still the situation, but presume if they were stopped the deer population in Parks would rebound.
    Can't speak for the other parks, but at Versailles, which borders my farm, you are more likely to see a bald eagle or otter than a deer. Unfortunately they both stink when you clean them and taste fishy.

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Dag gone rite!! How dare that farmer/rancher spend that money on his farm, he should keep the money and declare it as income so the government can take half of it to pay for the programs those that won’t work are getting. And don’t forget those illegal immigrant costs. That money has to come from somewhere.

I’m also a rancher and raise my own hay.

do I really have to use purple?

Bstarkey_46947

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2021
    Indiana
    I can only speak for my hunting areas: It appears that the deer population is down somewhat but we still see deer that are shootable. The urban areas (like my neighborhood) are where populations seem to be stable/growing. I have purchased a deer hunting bundle for the past 3 years and only harvested 1 deer. I hunt to enjoy the experience and continue to nurture the opportunity for my son (we don't shoot slicks). If you really consider the time and money expended on harvesting a deer or two, that meat is 4+x more expensive that beef loin. :twocents:

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    Dag gone rite!! How dare that farmer/rancher spend that money on his farm, he should keep the money and declare it as income so the government can take half of it to pay for the programs those that won’t work are getting. And don’t forget those illegal immigrant costs. That money has to come from somewhere.

I’m also a rancher and raise my own hay.

do I really have to use purple?
    Yes

JimH

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Less than 2,500 deer were taken with dep.permits and state park hunts in 2021 per Deer report
    You left out the word "reported". Plus if does are killed,fawns have basically zero chance of survival.

JimH

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Science is based on “reported” everything else is just a guess or assumption!

It’s still not Doomsday for the deer herd!
    Are landowners that utilize depredation permits required to salvage the meat from deer? I know if hunters who actually pay for license didn't they would be charged with wanton waste ...

greg

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    Plainfied,In
    Are landowners that utilize depredation permits required to salvage the meat from deer? I know if hunters who actually pay for license didn't they would be charged with wanton waste ...
    Wanton waste isn’t about eating all the game…

Wanton Waste—It is illegal to kill or cripple any wild animal without making a reasonable effort to retrieve the animal to include in your daily bag limit. It is illegal, however, to enter private property without permission to retrieve downed game. Before you hunt, make sure you have permission to track game on land adjoining your hunting area.

JimH

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008

Wanton Waste—It is illegal to kill or cripple any wild animal without making a reasonable effort to retrieve the animal to include in your daily bag limit. It is illegal, however, to enter private property without permission to retrieve downed game. Before you hunt, make sure you have permission to track game on land adjoining your hunting area.

Ok, what constitutes retrieving? What constitutes sanitary disposal? I realize it's not total doomsday for our deer- after all there is plenty of meat in the stores to replace the deer killed by hunters "doing their part" to control the herd. Plenty of fish to replace the ones killed by otters, and plenty of turkey to replace the ones killed by bobcats. Trust the government to take care of you, just like the Indians did with the bison..

greg

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    Plainfied,In
    Ok, what constitutes retrieving? What constitutes sanitary disposal? I realize it's not total doomsday for our deer- after all there is plenty of meat in the stores to replace the deer killed by hunters "doing their part" to control the herd. Plenty of fish to replace the ones killed by otters, and plenty of turkey to replace the ones killed by bobcats. Trust the government to take care of you, just like the Indians did with the bison..
    If you suspect someone is violating the game laws contact the DNR that also in dep permits

I was setting the record straight on amount of deer taken with dep. permits and state park reduction hunts…. Enjoy your rest of day!

JimH

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    If you suspect someone is violating the game laws contact the DNR that also in dep permits

I was setting the record straight on amount of deer taken with dep. permits and state park reduction hunts…. Enjoy your rest of day!

I am way more interested in the number of deer left.....

El Conquistador

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Jan 28, 2019
    far from here
    It is doomsday for the deer herd in my area (southeast Indiana) in my opinion, I hunted that area during the deer boom. I would see while hunting and driving around tons of deer. Now I can hunt a few days without seeing a deer or drive in the evenings and hardly see a deer in the fields. I know we have had problems with EHD, coyotes and bobcats. But, having years of 8 bonus tags in my county certainly didn't help. I have tried to do my part, I own 100 acres and have the hunting rights to another 80 acres that connects to my property. I have sanctuaries that we don't go into during season or off season, I put out food plots and try to help with the habitat. My neighbors that border me is another 300 acers that practice the same beliefs I have.
    I have owned my land since 2007 and I can count on one hand the number of anterless deer that have been taken on my land since I have owned it. I enjoy sitting in a tree stand and watching the wildlife around me, I don't care if I ever take another deer. However, I have 4 grandkids that hunt and I can see the disappointment in their eyes when they go out time after time and not see deer. I hope by reducing the bonus tags will help bring back the deer herd in the southeast and around the State of Indiana.

JimH

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    It is doomsday for the deer herd in my area (southeast Indiana) in my opinion, I hunted that area during the deer boom. I would see while hunting and driving around tons of deer. Now I can hunt a few days without seeing a deer or drive in the evenings and hardly see a deer in the fields. I know we have had problems with EHD, coyotes and bobcats. But, having years of 8 bonus tags in my county certainly didn't help. I have tried to do my part, I own 100 acres and have the hunting rights to another 80 acres that connects to my property. I have sanctuaries that we don't go into during season or off season, I put out food plots and try to help with the habitat. My neighbors that border me is another 300 acers that practice the same beliefs I have.
    I have owned my land since 2007 and I can count on one hand the number of anterless deer that have been taken on my land since I have owned it. I enjoy sitting in a tree stand and watching the wildlife around me, I don't care if I ever take another deer. However, I have 4 grandkids that hunt and I can see the disappointment in their eyes when they go out time after time and not see deer. I hope by reducing the bonus tags will help bring back the deer herd in the southeast and around the State of Indiana.
    We must be in the same area-I have one 5 acre field on my property ,bordering Versailles park that probably 30 years ago I counted 41 deer at one time in. It is now a picked corn field and I would be willing to bet that you couldn't find a single deer track in that field,and there hasn't been a deer killed on my farm in 15+ years.Another farm I hunt in Dearborn Co. special reduction zone is 140 acres.Over the past 20 years I and my wife have killed several nice bucks and does off of it. Mind you this area allows 10 bonus deer.We hunted this farm 9 times this season and never seen a single deer.....

El Conquistador

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Jan 28, 2019
    far from here
    We must be in the same area-I have one 5 acre field on my property ,bordering Versailles park that probably 30 years ago I counted 41 deer at one time in. It is now a picked corn field and I would be willing to bet that you couldn't find a single deer track in that field,and there hasn't been a deer killed on my farm in 15+ years.Another farm I hunt in Dearborn Co. special reduction zone is 140 acres.Over the past 20 years I and my wife have killed several nice bucks and does off of it. Mind you this area allows 10 bonus deer.We hunted this farm 9 times this season and never seen a single deer.....
    I am just south of you in Jefferson county.

greg

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    Plainfied,In
    There is no current county that allows 10 bonus deer! Where did you get the information from?

IMG_6003.png

Top Bottom