• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pheenix42

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Lafayette, IN
    Since I got a lot of good advice on cosmoline removal, it occurred to me that I'd better find a good general-purpose lubricant for this SKS of mine when I get it cleaned up. Any suggestions?

Thanks again! :patriot:

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    Miltitec-1 in grease and oil form can't be beat for all semi auto weapons. period

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    There are literally dozens of good lubricants on the market that are very good, in addition to Ed's Red. I have been using FP-10 for decades. It is a very good oil and doesn't separate out, like Break Free. Lubriplate is a grease that all the Highpower rifle shooters use on their M-1 Garands and M1A's. I like Shooter's Choice High Tech. grease.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    For oils: FP-10 and WeaponShield (the latest version from the guy who orginally created FP-10)

For grease: TW25B, whether from KleenBore or Mil-Comm (the manufacturer)

For in between: Kellube 12

Crystalship1

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    Oaklandon, IN.
    As BE MIKE has stated, there are many great choices out there. For me it's BreakFree LP (the non-CLP formula) as a general lube and Militec-1 grease for a heavier lube. :thumbsup:

Oh.... and I still like good old-fashioned Hoppe's #9 as a cleaner.
    :cheers:

JcJ

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    FWIW, and I know it's not for everyone or every weapon but I have gone to DOW 321 dry lube on just about every one of my firearms,, Mask off, spray on and heat gun till dry... No rust, no dust, no mess.. has almost put an end to the need for cleaning as nothing will stick to it..

Used on Indycar wheel hubs/nuts, fwiw..

For me it's BreakFree LP (the non-CLP formula) as a general lube

Just curious, why no CLP? I used it on my AR because it was recommended, milspec for that weapon IIRC...

I jess wanna learn..;)

Crystalship1

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    Oaklandon, IN.
    Just curious, why no CLP? I used it on my AR because it was recommended, milspec for that weapon IIRC...

I jess wanna learn..;)

Because I use Hoppe's #9 for cleaning and not the BreakFree, there's no reason to use the CLP formula. CLP = Cleaner, Lubricant, & Protector. All I need is the just the "LP".

I read were the straight LP gives just a tad higher lubrication (anti-galling) value without the cleaning solvent built-in. :dunno:

Don't get me wrong, the BreakFree CLP is a FINE product. I was just out of the CLP and I opted for the LP when I bought a new bottle. :thumbsup:

:cheers:

Last edited:

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    +1 for WEAPONSHIELD

It is a cleaner, lubricant and protectant. As stated in an earlier post, it was created by the guy who developed FP-10 but I think the new formula is greatly improved. I tested it against BreakFree and like it better than that too. I've switched over to WeaponShield completely, but for really stubborn grime I will occasionally also use Hoppes 9 while cleaning. Still, for most situations, WeaponShield does it all.

I've never seen it in any of my local shops but you can order it on line. Just google the name.

dblagent

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Bloomington
    Another +1 for Weaponshield, I am very pleased with it in all regards. It is my primary lube now, I actually need to order some more soon. I do not need anything heavier currently so the single one works for me, though I have a few others I am no longer using them.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Another +1 for Weaponshield, I am very pleased with it in all regards. It is my primary lube now, I actually need to order some more soon. I do not need anything heavier currently so the single one works for me, though I have a few others I am no longer using them.

George Fennell is a very smart guy.

captpaul

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 9, 2008
    Indy
    Eezox has worked really well on my ccw pieces. I still dab a bit of grease on the slide before assembling as eezox completely dries.

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Indian-noplace
    I haven't found anything that beats Zep 45. It has teflon in it.
    If you let it sit on any thing metal for about 30 minutes, it bonds with it.
    Simply wipe off the carrier (light machine oil) and walah! Pure lubricating heaven left behind.

zep45nc-full.jpg

Top Bottom