• ...and so much more!
  • snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    364   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Well, technically my coworker did. I was heading into the office Saturday when my coworker who was already there called. Seems he had gone into the restroom (common area, multi-tenant office, and there was a gun in the bathroom. Just where you'd think, sitting on the tp dispenser in the stall. No holster, just a lonely S&W Shield 9. Since he knows nothing about guns and I am the "gun guy" he called me. Got there a few minutes later and checked it out. Knowing it had to have been left after 5:00 Friday, and access is limited to tenants and staff on the weekend, it seemed very likely that it was put there while someone did their business then forgotten.

We hear these stories often. I took it into my office, unloaded it and for fun stripped it down. It must be pocket carried without a holster because the inside was filled with lint and debris. Shiny quality carry ammo though. I reassembled and zip tied it. I emailed the building management (who are also gun guys) and told them what happened and that I would be taking it home for the weekend and would turn it over to them Monday morning. Odds are close to 100% it was left by a tenant. My thoughts were that if I had done such a bone head thing, I would hope to get it back as quietly as possible.

Funniest thing was my coworker's reaction. He asked if the safety was on and was flabbergasted that it was not; that it had just been sitting there and could have seemingly gone off at the slightest touch. I think he was a little taken aback as well as we were talking I stripped it down, pretty much by touch alone. Come on, it's a basic M&P. But he seemed impressed. I hope it is reunited with the owner and hope more that he has learned a lesson.

ETA: 1/11/2021 Dropped it off with Management this morning and he said they received an email from the owner Saturday. As I suspected, he is a tenant in the building and known to the management personally. The owner said he had returned to the restroom shortly after leaving so we may have found it within a small window. Either way, given the circumstances of wwww&h, I am comfortable with my actions.

Last edited:

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Co-worker of mine found a pistol at work in August last year. Taurus 357, but this one was found on the side of the road. Outside didn't look terrible, but the inside of the barrel looked like a sewer pipe.
    This was in Gary. We have a cop with every crew, so he turned it in

Lmo1131

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2020
    east of the Pacific
    I live in Pismo Beach, Commiefornia. Right next door is San Luis Obispo... whose Police Chief left her sidearm in the restroom of a local Messican food eatery, and forgot to retrieve it. When she realized what had happened she went back to the restroom but the gun was gone...

But it got worse...

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    I say this without knowing all of the details, so, may make more sense than I realize.

I have a long standing policy to leave any "found" guns exactly where I found them and to forget that I did. I absolutely would not have been coon pawing some stray bathroom pistol, including breaking it down. Snorko the unintended crime suspect doesn't have a pleasant ring to it.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    To leave a gun unattended is the worst thing you could ever do.
    Think about who may be next in that stall. Possibly a child. If you fear touching it
    Toilet paper, use it to pick up the gun and turn it in to whom ever you decide to but never ever leave one unattended. That is nuts.
    Definitely have to agree :yesway:

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    To leave a gun unattended is the worst thing you could ever do.
    Think about who may be next in that stall. Possibly a child. If you fear touching it
    Toilet paper, use it to pick up the gun and turn it in to whom ever you decide to but never ever leave one unattended. That is nuts.

I agree. Shame on the person that did it!

What I fear is being associated with a possible crime weapon when I didn't commit any crimes. If that ends up being a murder weapon, guess who is now chained to a murder investigation? With all the red flag laws and hungry prosecutors, that might actually just be the beginning of my trouble. I'll pass on all that.

Again, I don't know all of the details, but if I just found a random gun laying around I would probably try to find a random phone in a random place and hope to use it as covertly as possible to call the police and anonymously report it. Good time to mention payphone-project.com.

WanderingSol07

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2017
    North Central
    I live in Pismo Beach, Commiefornia. Right next door is San Luis Obispo... whose Police Chief left her sidearm in the restroom of a local Messican food eatery, and forgot to retrieve it. When she realized what had happened she went back to the restroom but the gun was gone...

But it got worse...

Only in CA, where female chief leaves gun in restroom and they are looking for a "man" that may have taken it. Maybe he saw the chief come out without a gun and went in after it.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    364   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Update: dropped it off with Management this morning and he said they received an email from the owner Saturday. As I suspected, he is a tenant in the building and known to the management personally. The owner said he had returned to the restroom shortly after leaving so we may have found it within a small window. Either way, given the circumstances of wwww&h, I am comfortable with my actions.

And yeah, if it had been laying in an alley in a high crime area, I would have acted differently.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington

But it got worse...

Such a neat town to visit when I'm out there visiting my son at VAFB. Pismo is kinda cool too as is Paso Robles. I like to drink some 805 when I'm out there.

Top Bottom