A Farewell to Arms (Why I jumped off the Glock bandwagon)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bman1903

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    It's unfortunate that the PPQ M2 isn't more popular. In an ideal world, we'd have the same holster selections as Glock and $20 15rd and 17rd magazines would be plentiful.

Aside from being the standard for reliability and durability, the ubiquitous nature of Glocks grants a much better selection of accessories.

Right now Im torn between glock and walther. I think the PPQ is by far the better gun, but it is lack of parts that keeps killing it for me to completly move over, and in fact, thought about selling off. If they had parts available like glock I think I would get rid of my 9mm glocks. Any other caliber, glock is hard to beat just based on barrel conversions available.

The 19 is still yet to be beat on capacity vs size that I know of? You think other manufacturers would be looking to compete with that, since it is the most quoted benefit.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Another thing about Glock's market penetration is that if you have to replace one (or more) in a short period of time, it's easier than most others and generally less expensive overall. In the unlikely event of a "battlefield pickup," it's also likely to be more available.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Right now Im torn between glock and walther. I think the PPQ is by far the better gun, but it is lack of parts that keeps killing it for me to completly move over, and in fact, thought about selling off. If they had parts available like glock I think I would get rid of my 9mm glocks. Any other caliber, glock is hard to beat just based on barrel conversions available.

The 19 is still yet to be beat on capacity vs size that I know of? You think other manufacturers would be looking to compete with that, since it is the most quoted benefit.

Glock 19 and PPQ and S&W Shield would be my personal choices for 1, 2 & 3 so far as polymer guns are concerned. We have 2 PPQs and they are great shooters out of the box. Only real addition needed is metal sights and more magazines.

bman1903

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    Another thing about Glock's market penetration is that if you have to replace one (or more) in a short period of time, it's easier than most others and generally less expensive overall. In the unlikely event of a "battlefield pickup," it's also likely to be more available.

Have to give props to glock, they seem to have maintained their "first mover advantage" (even though I think HK was tecnically first) every pistol manufacturer is gunning for their market share. I don't know any numbers, but they don't seem to have lost much, if any, they recently got the british army contract and supposedly navy seals contract.

I agree, I think most people go with glock just based on availability.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Glock 19 and PPQ and S&W Shield would be my personal choices for 1, 2 & 3 so far as polymer guns are concerned. We have 2 PPQs and they are great shooters out of the box. Only real addition needed is metal sights and more magazines.

Do you know anyone in the central Indiana area who 1) stocks night sights for PPQ M2 and 2) will install them?

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Do you know anyone in the central Indiana area who 1) stocks night sights for PPQ M2 and 2) will install them?

I do not. I can't imagine it would be too difficult though. I have a 5" PPQ with night sights but those were installed by an outfit out of state. I think they do Walther warranty work as well. So I do know they are available. The plastic sights are not bad but not durable. Same can be said for Glock plastic sights.

A bit off topic. Plastic sights are a no go in my opinion because they break. But night sights is a take it or leave it type of thing for me. Several of my guns wear the plain old boring metal, white painted, three dot sights. So long as the gun hits where I point it, I simply take a black sharpie to the rear dots. So white front dot and black rear is fine for me. That said I have no problem with night sights and I have them on several pistols.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I do not. I can't imagine it would be too difficult though. I have a 5" PPQ with night sights but those were installed by an outfit out of state. I think they do Walther warranty work as well. So I do know they are available. The plastic sights are not bad but not durable. Same can be said for Glock plastic sights.

A bit off topic. Plastic sights are a no go in my opinion because they break. But night sights is a take it or leave it type of thing for me. Several of my guns wear the plain old boring metal, white painted, three dot sights. So long as the gun hits where I point it, I simply take a black sharpie to the rear dots. So white front dot and black rear is fine for me. That said I have no problem with night sights and I have them on several pistols.

Plastic sights don't last long if you do things with your gun other than shoot (like rack the slide by catching the rear sight on something). I still don't get why they exist!

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    agreed. Glock and M&P are still the polymer guns that I recommend. But I can't help but be impressed with the PPQ. I think the Sig P320 will also be a pistol to keep an eye on.

My own opinion is similar. Were it not for my issues with hard primer ammo, I'd say my P320 is a very strong contender, within the top 3 plastic 9mms.

If you add a Ghost EVO to a Glock, you'll get a trigger that is about as good a stock PPQ. Yes, the PPQ is that good (or so is the Ghose EVO, if you wish).

While the Ghost EVO gives you the trigger of a PPQ, it will not give your Glock the ergonomics of a PPQ.

Personally, I like GLOCK ergos overall, but compared to a PPQ or P250/P320, the GLOCK could be better.

The continued popularity of the Glock in a market where so many other great guns exist really speaks to the power of branding and of first-mover status.

I've moved onto SIG, but wouldn't hesitate to go Glock. or PPQ.

ART338WM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 2, 2013
    I will gladly concede Glock's reputation, and I tried and shot them in 9mm, 40, and 357 sig, but the grip simply feels unnatural and clumsy to me and I feel about the same towards the trigger. It comes down to personal pref. I MUCH prefer other HG's.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    My own opinion is similar. Were it not for my issues with hard primer ammo, I'd say my P320 is a very strong contender, within the top 3 plastic 9mms.

If you add a Ghost EVO to a Glock, you'll get a trigger that is about as good a stock PPQ. Yes, the PPQ is that good (or so is the Ghose EVO, if you wish).

While the Ghost EVO gives you the trigger of a PPQ, it will not give your Glock the ergonomics of a PPQ.

Personally, I like GLOCK ergos overall, but compared to a PPQ or P250/P320, the GLOCK could be better.

The continued popularity of the Glock in a market where so many other great guns exist really speaks to the power of branding and of first-mover status.

I've moved onto SIG, but wouldn't hesitate to go Glock. or PPQ.

I feel the need to update my thoughts on this. My P320 is gone, though is was good. I've learned to hate most Glock ergo (except G17 size). For a compact, I just can't shoot a G19 well. It hits my hand at the pisiform/harnate union in a way that prevents good control. (i had to google it).

I've gone away from striker in general because I had second thoughts about the advantages of restrike capability and positive hammer control during reholsering, so I'm a DA guy now.

Which would normally mean a P229 but they are too fat for IWB to P-07 is where I landed and have stayed for awhile. Bone stock because it doesn't need a bunch of upgrades to be a good pistol.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I feel the need to update my thoughts on this. My P320 is gone, though is was good. I've learned to hate most Glock ergo (except G17 size). For a compact, I just can't shoot a G19 well. It hits my hand at the pisiform/harnate union in a way that prevents good control. (i had to google it).

Good move. The 320 was in John Wick 2 (few TV shows) but needs a blockbuster to become a valid pistol choice.

Top Bottom