• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    KENOSHA, WI -- An animal shelter was swarmed with armed government agents after employees began caring for a baby deer.

"It was like a SWAT team," shelter employee Ray Schulze said.

Nine DNR agents and four sheriff's deputies performed a raid on the Society of St. Francis animal shelter. They had received two anonymous snitch calls to notify them that a baby deer was being cared for.

The agents came prepared with aerial spy photographs of the animal shelter, perhaps taken with a drone, showing evidence that the baby deer had been walking in and out of the barn.

A family had delivered the fawn to the shelter after it had been abandoned by its mother. However, the government says caring for wildlife is wrong. They began to search for the fawn to kill it.

Schulze was startled when the agents returned with the fawn in a body bag and slung over an agent's shoulder.

The deer had been scheduled to be delivered to a wildlife preserve in Illinois the following day. Not if the Department of Natural Resources has anything to say about it.

"I was thinking in my mind they were going to take the deer and take it to a wildlife shelter, and here they come carrying the baby deer over their shoulder. She was in a body bag," Schulze said. "I said, 'Why did you do that?' He said, 'That's our policy,' and I said, 'That's one hell of a policy.'"

When asked by a reporter why the department didn't make a phone call before devoting massive resources to the raid, they likened it to a drug bust.

"If a sheriff's department is going in to do a search warrant on a drug bust, they don't call them and ask them to voluntarily surrender their marijuana or whatever drug that they have before they show up," Niemeyer said.

Fourteen armed agents raided animal shelter to execute captive baby deer | Police State USA

Armed agents raid animal shelter for baby deer | News - WISN Home

Giggles.jpg

Last edited:

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    The law is rather obvious on this topic.
    And with the cost of CWD outbreaks, it is rather serious...........this deer stuff.

Connersville couple keeps a deer for almost 2 years, and the guy is a cop. The shelter folks? Only 2 weeks.

But I'm sure they have the DNR type folks on speedial for other critters that pop up (like Federal birds that require special permits to work on).

They should all be forced to eat venison stew from the deer they had.

Whosyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 5, 2009
    Warren County
    Our DNR folks around here, usually work solo. Often interacting with folks that are armed. Those Wisconsin DNR officers must be a bunch of Nancy boys.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Control that language home boy. You should be teaching courses and making six figures, your talents are going unrewarded.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Wow... I keep trying to say something else and that is all I can come up with... the idea that the taxpayers had to fund this show of force over an illegally kept baby deer is just amazing.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Was the fawn resisting?

Can't Wisconsin just send one guy with a clipboard? Geez, going all Hondo on an animal shelter for a game violation. I would anticipate consequences in the Wisconsin legislature over this.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    All in a days work. At least they get to go home safe after executing a helpless fawn. They can't look at themselves in the mirror, but at least they get to go home safe. Your tax dollars at work.

I hope someone steals their dogs.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I cannot believe the INGOtarians have not gone on about the property rights of the State of Wisconsin.

It is their deer. This is about property rights.

Interesting point. While on the surface it makes sense, wouldn't actual ownership make the state responsible for damage done by the deer (or any other animals). I understand the concept of declaring the animals 'tenants of the state' giving the state de facto ownership without any form of responsibility. So far as I am concerned, ownership should be like pregnancy--it either is or it isn't with no partial situation available. Then again, we are said to own property, but if we don't make our payment to the .gov, we get evicted.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    I cannot believe the INGOtarians have not gone on about the property rights of the State of Wisconsin.

It is their deer. This is about property rights.

Why can a person own a dog, and not a deer? The state is the only entity who can own a deer? Some standard you have there.

Property rights only seem to apply when arguing in support the abundant power of the state.

Top Bottom