• ...and so much more!
  • GLOCKMAN23C

Resident Dumbass II
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    S.E. Indy
    I have to admit, after seeing what 'hood that empty trailer was discovered in, I do have a bit of fear in the back of my mind that these will be used against the citizenry, the police, or both. I hope to God that I'm wrong....

That makes two of us. I saw where the trailer was recovered and instantly got a knot in my stomach.

Oh yeah...reported.

Bucknut

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Fishers
    If this involved LE, MIL or FED would the "don't blame the victim" crowd have the same opinion?

Inexcusable failure of reason and logic.

This is why we can't have nice things.

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Galveston
    I have to admit, after seeing what 'hood that empty trailer was discovered in, I do have a bit of fear in the back of my mind that these will be used against the citizenry, the police, or both. I hope to God that I'm wrong....
    I could be wrong, but I feel confident that those guns were outside Indiana state lines by sunup Saturday, and the trailer was dumped in that neighborhood to make it look like more "Indy gun violence".

rabbitdave

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Zionsville, IN
    Think of what planning it took to pull this off. 1) Had to know the trailer was loaded with good stuff and where it would be to snatch with minimal effort. 2) Had to be able to haul a trailer with a wheel lock and receiver lock away with minimal people noticing a flat bed wrecker with a trailer 3) You had a time and place where you could deposit a trailer after emptying it of its contents from a flatbed that it would not stand out (near the fairgrounds during a large event with a lot of trailers). 4) You had the brains/fore-site to keep the trailer locked up to make it appear to be in good order. 5) Knowing the cargo and the heat it would generate, you had a network or could/would use the cargo.

If you add up the other major robbery in less than 48 hours later less than 200 miles away and you have a very scary situation. I really don't think this is your normal street thugs or drug addict after a quick buck. This whole thing makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    I agree i don't trust people, but most people pay for insurance so you don't have to sleep in a trailer and are not afraid of leaving your house.

Insurance is great for replacing lost stuff, however it does nothing to keep machineguns out of the hands of criminals.

I don't blame profire for thieves being thieves, that is just the nature of things.

However, I do blame them for storing that sort of weaponry in a way that lent itself to way too easy of a theft.

This goes way beyond simply encouraging theft, it has resulted in a freaking belt fed SAW and ammo being out in the hands of criminals.

I do blame them for that.

Heck, I would be pissed off just knowing they stored that stuff that way, even if it hadn't been stolen.

This is not about blaming the victim for his stuff being stolen; this is about holding people responsible for not leaving machineguns out where bad people can easily get them.

Sandtiger

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2014
    Evansville
    I have to wonder how the insurance claim is going to pan out. I know it will depend on how the policy is written, and I would think the items are covered while they are in the place of business, personal home, during transportation, and during personal use. I have to wonder if the items are cover in this instance, simply because, technically, the items were not secured. If I'm the insurance company, I would have a hard time paying this claim due to the lack of securing the items properly. Someone with insurance knowledge, please chime in. :dunno:
    If its attached to his truck the auto insurance should cover it. Akin to the same way if you clip someone in your blind spot while trailering your boat to the local hole or trailering your race car to the local drag strip.

To people saying 'I wouldn't leave a quarter of a million dollars worth the stuff in my trailer without sleeping in it.' How much are these guns truly worth? NFA is what drives the price on them up. Sea Ray sells several boats (not Yachts) that are trailerable at under 35' feet that cost more than that. Some of those sit on trailers all the time and nobody bats an eye.
    I agree it was poor judgement to leave them unsupervised but hopefully he learns this time.

Brian Ski

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2014
    Michiana
    To people saying 'I wouldn't leave a quarter of a million dollars worth the stuff in my trailer without sleeping in it.' How much are these guns truly worth?

I am thinking the same... Someone knew what was in it. Even at that, what is the stuff worth??? Stolen it is not worth much, not just because they are stolen, but specialty items. I would say the people that shoot full autos know that stolen ones are worth even less than regular guns. If you go anywhere and shoot a full auto it attracts people for miles. If you hide it or try to cover it up at the range or even on private property it attracts more prying eyes.

The other thing is most guns can be converted over (illegally of course) with a lot less hassle and media coverage that this has brought.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    Think of what planning it took to pull this off. 1) Had to know the trailer was loaded with good stuff and where it would be to snatch with minimal effort. 2) Had to be able to haul a trailer with a wheel lock and receiver lock away with minimal people noticing a flat bed wrecker with a trailer 3) You had a time and place where you could deposit a trailer after emptying it of its contents from a flatbed that it would not stand out (near the fairgrounds during a large event with a lot of trailers). 4) You had the brains/fore-site to keep the trailer locked up to make it appear to be in good order. 5) Knowing the cargo and the heat it would generate, you had a network or could/would use the cargo.

If you add up the other major robbery in less than 48 hours later less than 200 miles away and you have a very scary situation. I really don't think this is your normal street thugs or drug addict after a quick buck. This whole thing makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up.

I tend to think it was a competent local crew who knew there were guns inside, but were unaware that they were NFA weapons. A significant portion of thieves make their bread and butter off construction trailers so it isn't exactly reinventing the wheel to figure out how to snatch one.

Unless you have someone with a particular need for those particular guns, I don't see how it makes much sense to hit that trailer if you knew they were NFA.

For one, you bring on a severe case of federal "alphabetitis" which is usually non-survivable for all but a very few crooks.

For two, it is far easier to simply convert AR15's and AK47's than to steal the real deals. This allows you to avoid that federal scrutiny, at least until you decide to use the damn thing in the commission of a crime.

For three, your pool of potential buyers is dramatically reduced. Basically you have cartels, terrorists, and idiots. All 3 of these groups are high-risk/low-reward to deal with, especially when suffering from alphabetitis.

I tend to think that the thieves were simply after easily streetable guns and not NFA weapons. Unfortunately, they are probably now marketing them to idiots.

If they were after NFA weapons, I think it very likely that they were to send to Mexico.

There is an outside chance that someone wants to pull a super high casualty event here, but I think that is the least likely scenario.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Think of what planning it took to pull this off. 1) Had to know the trailer was loaded with good stuff and where it would be to snatch with minimal effort. 2) Had to be able to haul a trailer with a wheel lock and receiver lock away with minimal people noticing a flat bed wrecker with a trailer 3) You had a time and place where you could deposit a trailer after emptying it of its contents from a flatbed that it would not stand out (near the fairgrounds during a large event with a lot of trailers). 4) You had the brains/fore-site to keep the trailer locked up to make it appear to be in good order. 5) Knowing the cargo and the heat it would generate, you had a network or could/would use the cargo...

Just playing armchair detective; Wonder if there were any created diversions to draw LEO away from the area during the time the trailer was stolen?

Last edited:

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    If its attached to his truck the auto insurance should cover it. Akin to the same way if you clip someone in your blind spot while trailering your boat to the local hole or trailering your race car to the local drag strip.

Lol not even close to being the same. This would not be covered under any personal lines policy.

Edit: You may want to discuss these types of things with your licensed agent, so you understand what you are covered for and what you aren't. This goes for everyone. Every single day I have someone walk into my office that doesn't understand the differences between a liability claim and a property claim. It is scary, and it usually follows that they did not have the correct insurance in place to begin with.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Just playing armchair detective; Wonder if there were any created diversions to draw LEO away from the area during the time the tailor was stolen?

They stole a tailor as well? Isn't that kidnapping?

What was a tailor doing in the trailer that night... Hmmmmm..... :shady:

This case is coming apart at the seams.

I hope they get this one sewn up quickly.

Some of the comments in these threads have me in stitches.

All in all it's quite a yarn.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

To people saying 'I wouldn't leave a quarter of a million dollars worth the stuff in my trailer without sleeping in it.' How much are these guns truly worth? NFA is what drives the price on them up. Sea Ray sells several boats (not Yachts) that are trailerable at under 35' feet that cost more than that. Some of those sit on trailers all the time and nobody bats an eye.
    I agree it was poor judgement to leave them unsupervised but hopefully he learns this time.

As stated up thread.....we slept in our race trailers. Maybe 100K each in total investment but these things get stolen all the time. We had hotel rooms but drew straws as to who got to stay in the trailers. Air mattress made it OK. Wake up, shower in the room and down the road. Never lost anything to theft. Did the same thing when we traveled with the Harley's in the trailer. Someone got to sleep with them. never failed. No lessons needed to be learned.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    I think the guns are still local. I have been off since the theft occurred, but some of my co-workers have told me that they have either heard the shots or been dispatched to reports of automatic gunfire.

Top Bottom