A bad day at the range is better than....

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    A good day at work.

Went out to our property for the first time of the season. FINALLY!

I took with me my new CZ-75B Stainless, My new Glock 36 and my Arsenal AK. And always my CZ P-01 on my hip.

The day started out a bit rough. I jumped into the G36 hoping it would be an awesome summertime carry gun. But, after 100 rounds I think I made a mistake. I can't shoot this little pistol to save my life, and that is a bad thing when I may be counting on it to save my life. I seriously would have had trouble hitting a barn if I was standing inside the barn. Consistently about 6" low from ~7-10yds and slightly left. I also had 3 failures to feed always the last round in the mag seemed like it was hanging up on the feed ramp. Granted it was new so I chalked it up to break in. I could deal with the FTFs, within the first few hundred rounds I expect a few and every Glock I have ever had, has had at least one or two in the first few hundred rounds. But the accuracy was awful. I was using WWB ammo so it may have been a combination of cheap ammo and a new gun but... now I wish I would have gotten a Gen4 26 instead. That way I could use all my G19 gear and mags too.

So after being upset by my Glock strike out I loaded up my new CZ-75B and went to the line. Oh sweet satisfaction as I poked out all those pesky orange dots that had been mocking me when I was shooting the Glock. Recoil was so mild and the action felt smooth and follow up shots, easy. I knew I could shoot, I just can't shoot the G36. If I couldn't hit with the Glock then I literally couldn't miss with the CZ and it ran like a sewing machine. 150 rounds no hiccups, no bad targets, nothing but sweet CZ goodness. I used Fiocchi, Federal, and WWB ammo all 115 gr. Why do I ever stray from CZ? I know I shoot them well, I know the run, but sometimes I guess I just get the urge to punish myself. Oh well.

The AK is an AK, of course it ran. But it is official my Arsenal SAM-7SF is officially my favorite rifle. I just love it. Everything about it. Nothing else really to add, its just awesome.

So 2 out of 3 ain't bad I guess. Still better than a day at work

Like usual I forgot my camera, so no pics. :(

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Hmmmm... a bad day at the range is better than a good day at work...

That doesn't apply if good days at work mean you get to go to the range to test-fire weapons...

dreamer56

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Next door in Illinois
    G36 can be like that - had the same problem - I was attracted by the size but it was not fun to shoot and I was awful - I added Pearce grip extensions to my magazines - that helped me a ton just to get an extra finger on the grip - might try it.

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    I hear you with the CZ sweetness! I had a G4 G23 that I got to be pretty decent with, but then I'd pick up the CZ and feel like I could pick off Christmas tree lights from a month away. I too get the itch for something different... and I have to say, I haven't had a Glock yet that I regretted parting with.

My P-01 is a true keeper. I recently got one of the new P-07 models (no more "Duty"), and just about can't shoot it badly, it's a keeper too. Really thinking hard about getting a P-07 in 40 as well.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Spent 4 hours at the range on Saturday. First time at an outdoor range since I was in the Army almost 30 years ago. Went to a buddy's club range and the first two hours it was just the two of us. It was frustrating at first. Took my newly built AR-15 to put some rounds through it and see what I thought. Tried the backup sights first and was hitting way too low. Went to adjust the front sight and the side piece holding it to the rail snapped off! Well crap, guess that's going back to MagPul :(

Figured I'd go ahead and get the red dot sight dialed in, so took I turned it on and about a minute later the batteries died. Of course I'd forgotten to bring spares. Ran to the Meijer 5 minutes down the road, picked up a new set, got back and got them loaded and started having some fun! After about 40 rounds, the sight was dialed in pretty well. At 25 yards I was putting 3 shots in a group about the size of a quarter. Moved to 50 yards and it was about the same, but a little left of where I was aiming. About that time, kept having FTE's and realized the BCG was no longer moving. I could use the charging handle to extract the spent casing, but it wouldn't do it on its own. Looked at it briefly and figured it's a problem with the gas tube/gas block connection. Gotta look at it closer to get it figured out.

Put away the AR and went to the pistol side of the range and practiced holster drills and such for the rest of the time there. Had brought all 5 of my pistols, so it was enjoyable to be able to spend some time shooting them. The only downside was the targets were fixed at 7 - 10 yards. No big deal though, was still a good time.

So yes, while my day at the range was partially frustrating, it was still better than a good day at work :)

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I agree with the range time vs. work sentiment! :rockwoot: I made it down to Martinsville yesterday morning for a little bit with my AK and VZ 24 Mauser. The AK was great. Hadn't shot it in awhile and had forgotten how much fun it is. I was consistently able to hit an 8" gong at 100 yards, which is pretty good for me! :): The Red Star trigger (installed by vitamink) is awesome. No slap whatsoever and nice and light. I was a little disappointed with the Mauser. It may have been the old Turk ammo I was using, but out of 20 rounds, only 2 went bang on the first try. They all fired on the second try, with the exception of one round that took 3 attempts. Unfortunately I didn't have another rifle or different ammo to try, so I don't know for sure where to place the blame. Just in case I ordered a new firing pin spring this morning though.

scootn103

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 6, 2013
    A bad day fishing or at the range is better then a smooth day at work since its work. I am a big fan of Cz .22 rifles .

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    OP: Wanna host another INGO'er and I for a range day? :)

Sure, sounds like fun. As long as you have an ATV or don't mind walking a few hundred yards through the woods with your gear. We have 40 acres to play on and most of the time it is a fairly well maintained ATV / dirt bike trail. But I am trying to build a nice flat 100yd range down in the valley using the hills as natural backstops. But it is fairly remote.

I was going to meet up with SeadooDr., but he was otherwise obligated.

Top Bottom