• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jocro

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2008
    NW Indiana
    Anybody have any tips on reloading the Mak? I have the brass but I am not sure which bullets to start with. Then again.......I might have a dificult time finding such bullets. thanks ....................JOE

jocro

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2008
    NW Indiana
    I am getting different sizes............363 .364 .365 also in length .708 .715 .720. I am gonna trim down to .715 and go from there. OAL I will start at .970. Thanks fer any imput...............JOE

antsi

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    I can't claim any personal experience reloading 9x18 - I am just getting in to it myself.

I have done some research, however. Here's some of the stuff I found on various resources.

Load Data per Accurate Arms Manual using AA#5 powder:
    Max case length 0.71" Cartridge overall length Max .970
    95 gr lead round nose start load 4.7 gr max load 5.2 gr
    95 gr jacketed HP start load 5.0 gr max load 5.6 gr
    Speer Manual (AA#5) Max case length 0.713 COL Max 0.984
    95gr full metal jacket min load 5.6 gr max load 6.3 gr
    Lee Manual (AA#5) Case length .708 COL .982
    95 gr jacketed start load 5.0 gr max load 5.6 gr

From Makarov.com
    Trimming 9mm Parabellum Brass
    When the Makarov pistols first became available, those itching to load their own ammunition found it difficult to obtain brass. One solution was to trim 9mm Parabellum brass to a case length of 18 mm.
    Trimming 9mm Parabellum brass is not difficult, but brass crafted in this fashion should be used carefully. The head stamp will no longer match the actual case, therefore be very careful when you examine range pick-ups. The case mouth is initially sized much smaller than the .363" bullet requires, so case belling is critical. After it is fired for the first time, the case will expand to fill the Makarov chamber. The metal near the case mouth is then spread thinner than a true 9mm Makarov case because of the larger 9.2 mm bullet. Check the case mouth for cracks and splits after firing.
    9x18 Makarov case trimmers are generally not available from the reloading manufacturers. However, one can easily fashion one from 9mm Parabellum trimmers. The Lee case trimmer is a simple, inexpensive tool that uses a conventional power drill and an hand-held trimming blade. The case trimming tool consists of a shell holder with drill insert and a blade/case length gauge. Using a very hard, e.g. carbide grinder, the case length gauge can be shortened by 1 mm so that it will produce 18 mm cases from 9mm Parabellum cases. When grinding the case length gauge, err on the side of cutting off too little. Trim a few cases and measure them with a micrometer. You can always cut the case length gauge a bit shorter if the cases turn out too long.
    For safety and sorting ease, mark the trimmed case heads with a permanent marker. Enough of this ink will be left on the case after it is fired and tumbled clean to see that it is different from all other cases.

From TheFiringLine.com:
    I've just started loading for my EG Makarov using RCBS carbide dies, I've loaded and shot about 300 rnds, 250 with Meister hard cast 93gr(.365) LRN and 50 with Sierra 100gr JFP(.363)
    As for the LRN ,I tried with Bullseye, W321 and AA#5 of these powders I liked 5.6gr of #5 for best accuracy, I started at the middle and worked from there. The primers I used were WSP my COL is .969 I tried this combo with trimmed 9x19 brass and 5.4gr of #5 all of these loads with the .365 LRN worked flawlessly and with no leading, I have not had good accuracy with the .363 sierra, I need to slug the barrel.

Oops, I forgot to mention the expander/seater plug on my RCBS dies was a bit over sized, according to my calibrated Starrett micrometer the plug measured .3635" I turned it down to .3625" for better neck tension, and with the Meister .365 dia LRN I may have upped the start pressure for my AA#5 loads because this powder has burned completely at 5.6gr. To much powder in a straight blow back action can leave unburnt powder.
    I'm also using a 19# recoil spring, the stock spring for the Makarov PM is 17#

Top Bottom