• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • westside bengal

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    I have been looking for a revolver for first handgun but really havent found what I want.

I have been thinking about going the 9mm semi auto route as I have Christmas money to spend...lol.

I understand that the best handgun "safety" is the one between your ears.

But for someone less experienced and might be more comfortable like myself which 9mm have a manual external safety that would be recommended?

Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    Do you want a SA gun or a DA/SA? I'd assume DA/SA since you were looking at revolvers. You'd be pretty well served with a 5906, 6906, or Beretta 92FS.

If you're looking for a SA handgun I'd look at the Browing Hi-Power (or clone).

ultra...good

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    What mosinguy said. I carry a smith 908. 9mm da/sa single stack 8+1. External safety/decocker. Big fan of the smith metal guns. Can only get them used and when the prices go back down, i am going to "enhance" my collection of those.

westside bengal

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    Yes it would be DA/SA. I held the Beretta 92FS today. It felt good. But I wondered others I should look at. I will check out the Smith's

Thanks

sig-guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    Buying your first pistol... you might want to rethink your caliber choice.

Starting out with a 22 to get the basics and getting use to shooting is a good thing.

Starting out with a larger caliber can cause you to have bad habits (like flinching).

However, EAA does have a safety on their pistols and is liked by many shooters.

westside bengal

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    Buying your first pistol... you might want to rethink your caliber choice.

Starting out with a 22 to get the basics and getting use to shooting is a good thing.

Starting out with a larger caliber can cause you to have bad habits (like flinching).

However, EAA does have a safety on their pistols and is liked by many shooters.

I completely understand your reasoning. And I have looked at 22's.

The only problem is when I look I see 9mm ammo but never see any 22 stuff.

PX4me

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2013
    Dyer
    The PX4's come in 3 sizes and 3 calibers. Might want to check them out especially if you liked the 92.

GoBoilers!

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Sep 2, 2008
    The Ruger SR9 and SR9c were the first to come to mind with manual safety. Of course, you'll need to handle them to see what fits your hands and is the right size. A few others to consider would be Taurus PT111 / Millenium Pro or 24/7 models, and also you can find / order the S&W M&P's with manual safeties.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Look at Sig, a 226 for a sa/da. If you want something with a safty chech out the RIA's the 1911 has the external safty your looking for and both can be had in 9mm

parkerj112

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96.8%
    30   1   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    Southern Indiana
    CZ makes a very fine pistol, w/ ext safety. I would look at there models as well. Be careful buying a pistol right now for the reason of available ammo. Things (Lord willing & us working) are not the way that they should stay.

Parker

westside bengal

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    Where are you seeing 9MM ammo? Please let me know! I think 9 and 22 are the hardest two to find. I haven't seen target 9mm in a month.

Orion Arms in Jeffersonville had some 9mm last week when I was there. As I was
    looking for revolvers I didnt pay any attention to what it was.

poppy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2012
    South of Indy
    As parkerj112 says, cz 75 b or cz 75 sa are both fine pistols. Also, the browning hi power is a keeper. We have both and cannot tell the difference in shooting. My wife favors the browning and she says it is balanced. Both are in 9mm. Browning holds 13+1, cz 75 b holds 16+1. Browning is 2# and cz is 2.1#.

SmokinSigs357

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    I am a SIG guy and love the DA/SA feature. That "hard" first pull gives me some piece of mind.

If you like the DA/SA feature and would feel better having a safety, do yourself a favor and go fondle a HK P30s. I have one and it is really a special gun. Feels great, has the DA/SA decocker AND external safety.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Look at the M&P 9 with external safety ...

This is what I'd suggest; looking at the M&P with an external safety.

This way, if/when you get the confidence to go without, you simply move to an M&P without the safety.

This way, you maintain all the familiarity you've already developed with the platform, and also compatibility with your then existing stock of magazines.

Top Bottom