• ...and so much more!
  • 88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I love my Bersa Thunder UC 9. 13+1 and It has lots of safety options... DA/SA, external safety/decocker, internal safety too. Off course I don't use any of them except decocker, but it's nice to have the option.

The full size Bersa's really are nice guns. They are among the easiest guns to take down for cleaning a I have seen.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    Lots of really good suggestions in this thread. Reading the OP, you stated that you are looking for an external safety, 9mm semi-auto. You also mention looking toward DA/SA guns, and being fairly inexperienced with handguns.

That is where I might offer a bit of advice differing from your thoughts. The DA/SA is a good platform, but the transition between the two trigger pulls can be difficult to get yourself accustomed to. I have, and shoot frequently, a Taurus PT92, a DA/SA pistol such as what you describe looking for. I also have owned Glocks, a High-Power, and several other DAO & striker fired pistols. My favored trigger is a SAO, short, crisp, and to the point. DAO and Striker fired guns are my second choice, as the trigger reset is a constant, and never changes. The long first shot pull, followed by a short follow up can be tricky to get used to, and down right dangerous if you are not careful.

My thoughts on a good place to start looking, any of the striker fired guns with externa safety ( and yes, you can even get one installed of a Glock). My personal favorite is the Hi-power though, hefty, but not heavy, perfect trigger, and easy to point.

varadatt

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2013
    Castleton
    My vote is for the Ruger SR9. While I have limited experience, it was my 1st pistol. Easy to control, comfortable and has several safety features. I have put about 500 rounds through it, mixed brands, and have had zero issues. It has been a great 1st pistol.

possum_128

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Martinsville area
    If you were looking for a revolver in the first place, why do you want a safety on a semi? Most revolvers don't have safetys so why the need for one on a semi?:dunno:

I could never understand when people would have no problem carrying a revolver with no safety but feel the need for one on a semi.

Last edited:

westside bengal

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    If you were looking for a revolver in the first place, why do you want a safety on a semi? Most revolvers don't have safetys so why the need for one on a semi?:dunno:

I could never understand when people would have no problem carrying a revolver with no safety but feel the need for one on a semi.

You are correct. I guess its just a "mental" thing. I am sure its has to do with my lack of experience and/or confidence.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    Lots of good suggestions.

PERHAPS a DAO only semi-auto? It provides a constant feel on the trigger-pull, and the 'longer-ish', 'heavier-ish' pull provides a similar feel of 'security' and accidental discharge avoidance of a DA revolver.

The issue, IMO, with ANY manually operated safety is: Will you learn the proper manual of arms AND practice with it enough to be 100% CERTAIN you will perform that operation (or operationS) under stress (i.e. a lethal force scenario or competition)? Failure to do so under extreme stress COULD be a fatal error.

A DAO semi-auto has the same (basically) operation as a DA (or DA mode) of a revolver - 'point gun, pull trigger, repeat.' (applicable sight alignment / picture / target objectives being equal).

The distinct DISadvantage of ANY semi-auto is, of course, the mandatory necessity of learning malfunction drills to the point that these are ALSO internalized to the point of being (mentally) 'automatic'. Easily achievable, BUT an absolute requirement.

This is WHY many, many, many people recommend a revolver for a first handgun. The manual of arms is just simpler. Failure to fire, pull trigger again, new round rotates into battery. Other than reloading, that's really the only 'malfunction' drill.

As noted, nothing replaces proper safety techniques. But, a DAO auto probably provides the greatest similarity to the feel and action of a DA or DA/SA revolver.

JMO and :twocents:.

westside bengal

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    Lots of good suggestions.

PERHAPS a DAO only semi-auto? It provides a constant feel on the trigger-pull, and the 'longer-ish', 'heavier-ish' pull provides a similar feel of 'security' and accidental discharge avoidance of a DA revolver.

The issue, IMO, with ANY manually operated safety is: Will you learn the proper manual of arms AND practice with it enough to be 100% CERTAIN you will perform that operation (or operationS) under stress (i.e. a lethal force scenario or competition)? Failure to do so under extreme stress COULD be a fatal error.

A DAO semi-auto has the same (basically) operation as a DA (or DA mode) of a revolver - 'point gun, pull trigger, repeat.' (applicable sight alignment / picture / target objectives being equal).

The distinct DISadvantage of ANY semi-auto is, of course, the mandatory necessity of learning malfunction drills to the point that these are ALSO internalized to the point of being (mentally) 'automatic'. Easily achievable, BUT an absolute requirement.

This is WHY many, many, many people recommend a revolver for a first handgun. The manual of arms is just simpler. Failure to fire, pull trigger again, new round rotates into battery. Other than reloading, that's really the only 'malfunction' drill.

As noted, nothing replaces proper safety techniques. But, a DAO auto probably provides the greatest similarity to the feel and action of a DA or DA/SA revolver.

JMO and :twocents:.

That pretty well summed up why I started with a revolver first. And if I could have found something I would not have wasted everyones time although I really do appreciate it and feel a lot more knowledgeable about it now.

LANShark42

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Evansville
    Don't let anyone talk you out of any safety feature you might want. As a beginner ( I am too) if they make you feel safer then go for them. One reason I bought my first gun (an SR9c) was for its safety features. You can always ignore a manual thumb safety if you get to the point that you are comfortable carrying without it.

kman1977

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    Don't let anyone talk you out of any safety feature you might want. As a beginner ( I am too) if they make you feel safer then go for them. One reason I bought my first gun (an SR9c) was for its safety features. You can always ignore a manual thumb safety if you get to the point that you are comfortable carrying without it.
    carry issues aside
    one thing that keeps me wanting to have a separate safety thumb lever is the fact that i have two teenagers in my house and their friends are also over at my house.
    so the extra step of a safety on the firearm with this kids around here gives me a little bit more peace of mind
    now that I have said this ---- not all of my handguns have an external safety lever ( my 1911 does )
    those of you without kids in the home may or may not understand this
    i have two teenage girls who really are not that interested in guns
    but they do shoot with me
    and i am not concerned about them as much as i am concerned when they have friends over ---- including the boyfriends ( and that is another story for another day )

concrete dog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 19, 2008
    Goshen
    carry issues aside
    one thing that keeps me wanting to have a separate safety thumb lever is the fact that i have two teenagers in my house and their friends are also over at my house.
    so the extra step of a safety on the firearm with this kids around here gives me a little bit more peace of mind
    now that I have said this ---- not all of my handguns have an external safety lever ( my 1911 does )
    those of you without kids in the home may or may not understand this
    i have two teenage girls who really are not that interested in guns
    but they do shoot with me
    and i am not concerned about them as much as i am concerned when they have friends over ---- including the boyfriends ( and that is another story for another day )
    I fully understand, having 4 girls and a 6 year old son. I bought a 92fs 16 years ago and have carried it ever since:yesway:

westside bengal

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    I really appreciate all the info everyone has given me. I am off to a few places and see what I can find. At least I have starting point to go from and won't feel like such a noob asking questions.

Thanks again everyone.

Top Bottom