• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    I've got a buddy that told me at lunch today that he was looking for a 9mm for a truck gun/something for the house/some target shooting. He isn't looking to spend a bunch of money(prefer to stay around $300 if possible). He told him his wife was looking at handguns for him for Christmas and said she was quoted over $700 for a Glock. He didn't say which model or what shop.

I know he could go Hi Point or do some searching for used firearms. Is there anything other than Hi Point that would be reliable in the $300 or under range new? I have some handguns for him to try(revolvers in .22, .38, and .357 and semi autos in 9x18, .40, and .45) and I did tell him to get his LTCH because of the fact he wants to use the gun as a truck gun and take it to his father in law's farm for some target practice.

I know he won't fall in love with my Glock 27 because he is a pretty big guy with big hands. Even the biggest Hi Point would be fine size wise as he is 6'4-ish and probably 350.

So, any recommendations in a full size 9mm in his range?

9mm Bill

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    Lafayette
    Wow, $700 for a Glock. Was she shopping at Don's Guns? You might want to check out the Ruger SR-9. I have the SR-9c and it probably my favorite gun to shoot at the range. It's a little more than the $300 you want to spend, but another $100 will get you close.

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    Wow, $700 for a Glock. Was she shopping at Don's Guns? You might want to check out the Ruger SR-9. I have the SR-9c and it probably my favorite gun to shoot at the range. It's a little more than the $300 you want to spend, but another $100 will get you close.

I could have bought another SR9c or SR9 for $400 at the Muncie show.

But the P-95 might be better for big man.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana

I know it wasn't Don's. It was somewhere between Warsaw and Ft. Wayne. I have an idea of the shop and I've seen some $600 Glocks a few years back in there, he doesn't like plastic guns and doesn't like to sell them. I might take the Browning High Power just to give him an idea on that size 9mm(probably not shooting it as it was a bring back my grandpa had). I'll be making a list for a few different 9mm to check out with him and I'll be heading to shops and a show or 2 with him. I won't let him get talked into an over priced Glock.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    I'm curious how he came to 9mm conclusion? Not that there's anything wrong with 9mm:rolleyes: I just think it may be a misguided TV/movie thing.....A guy his size could certainly handle something bigger. Not trying to start a caliber war, just think this is funny and post it every time I get the chance.
    3nd3p83l1ZZZZZZZZZ91r972bab900c3d18.jpg

Cloverdaleman

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2010
    Cloverdale,Indiana
    A Taurus PT92/99 or A CZ75 Clone ,like the Eaa Witness.I have both of these gun and they shoot very well. I have had a Taurus PT99 for well over 20 yrs. They are good guns. If you want a smaller grip, look at the Eaa witness or a CZ75. They have a real good grip/fit.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    Everyone whines about 9mm being cheaper. Let me ask you how much fun it was trying to find it say a year ago? It really isn't THAT much cheaper. Saying "I shoot 9mm because it's cheaper" is like waiting in line for gas because it's 3 cents cheaper than across the road. How big is your tank that 3 cents per gallon will make a difference?

Ben 95cobra

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2011
    i have a taurus millienum 9mm about 400. also a keltec 9mm its a cheap gun but perfect for the truck or to leave in the nightstand. (beside a 870)

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    Everyone whines about 9mm being cheaper. Let me ask you how much fun it was trying to find it say a year ago? It really isn't THAT much cheaper. Saying "I shoot 9mm because it's cheaper" is like waiting in line for gas because it's 3 cents cheaper than across the road. How big is your tank that 3 cents per gallon will make a difference?

3 cents is 1/100th the cost of a gallon of gas. 20 gallons x 3 cents = 60 cents.

CCI Blazer
    9mm - $10.77
    .40 S&W - $15.65
    .45 ACP - $17.11

Would you drive across the street if the gas was $3.00 vs. $4.50 or $5.00?

I would.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    I'm curious how he came to 9mm conclusion? Not that there's anything wrong with 9mm:rolleyes: I just think it may be a misguided TV/movie thing.....A guy his size could certainly handle something bigger. Not trying to start a caliber war, just think this is funny and post it every time I get the chance.

I fully agree and that is why I'm going to take my .40 and my .45 for him to shoot. He may end up changing his mind. I'm not 100% sure but I think he hasn't had a chance to shoot very many handguns, mostly .22s. I think the 9mm was because he wants something he can teach his wife to shoot as well and she isn't very big. I'm not sure how much she would shoot but I know he has had her handle his 12g a few times and she did fairly well. The only 9mm I have right now is one I don't shoot. If I can get enough saved up before he is ready to buy, I'll probably have a CZ75.

For his target practice, I really wouldn't mind seeing him get a .22 either a revolver or a semi auto so he'd be able to get the wife involved a bit more(he is talking to her about getting her LTCH too because she gets home a couple hours before him, both work 2nds, and they're fairly rural). He wants to know she'll be able to handle anything if he isn't home or something would happen when she is trying to get home.

Top Bottom