• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lowe0

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 22, 2015
    Indianapolis
    I like my thumb safety, but that's the only safety I like - I don't have mag disconnects, and if S&W offered a solid trigger for the M&P, I'd take it.

IndyGlockMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    Fishers
    Ruger SR9c
    S&W M&P9c
    CZ75 compact
    Commander size 1911 9mm
    all are good choices.

Take him to a gun show and shop around.

If he is willing for go without a thumb safety, then a Glock 19 would be the natural choice.

RND

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2014
    Westfield
    subcompact 9mm is stinking thinking as primary carry. Stay with a compact. VICKERS TACTICAL G19 is a great piece.

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    We or you can't decide for him. He needs to shoot and try out as many models as he can. Glocks don't fit everyone. My hands do not agree with glocks for the most part. I have taken newbies to the range with a collection of guns. Some are set on a glock before we start. After it's all said and done, they buy the SR9 or the SR9c because that's what they shoot and feels the best.

The Ruger Sr9c is a fantastic gun for the price point.
    A Sig anything.
    An Xdm compact, and XDS or XD mod.2. I used to have the Croatian hangup as well, but they are darn fine weapons that fit my hand perfect and I shoot well.

Most importantly, he needs to try several before purchase.

CS2KS2

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 3, 2014
    Indianapolis
    I have been very happy with my Ruger SR9c. Tight trigger; conceals well in my Crossbreed hybrid holster. Has a thumb safety and meets all of the other requirements. MSRP under $500.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    Just curious, as I really don't know, but how many striker-fired pistols on the market also have a thumb safety? :scratch:

dtkw

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2009
    Bloomington
    When I was younger, I carried a Browning hi Power. After I got married and had two young sons, I didn't chamber load. Figured they were not strong enough to rack the slide. Never had a problem. I taught them gun safety when they were old enough to understand how things work. Now i have a couple sigs inside a locked box. One is the P226 (9mm) and the other is a P229 (.40). Kids are gone now. No worry.

Ithaca45

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2014
    United States
    He really needs to look at the Ruger LC9s Pro. Great gun, striker fired so no thumb safety. The regular LC9s does have the thumb safety although I don't think you need it. I qualified with mine and now carry it as a back-up and off duty concealed gun.

EricG

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 19, 2013
    NWI
    I have an m&p9 compact, without safety. Great pistol, but good luck finding preventive maintenance parts.

Id say, Ruger SR9 compact would fit the criteria.

Archer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indianapolis
    sig or glock19 if money needs watched

What model Sig are you suggesting? They have quite a few available. There are also better options than Sigs and even Glocks if money is an issue.

My vote would be for the Ruger SR9C. High capacity, shoots like a full size gun, has a manual safety, and it's width is very slim...very comfortable to carry IWB.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    He has 2 younger kids and although he has no intention of leaving it out for them to find the thumb safety provides him an extra layer of personal comfort knowing the kids can't just grab it and pull the trigger without also knowing how to disengage the safety.

I do believe as he gets used to carrying and more comfortable with handguns the thumb safety may not be as much of a concern for him later. But for now I see why it might be a good idea for a thumb safety.
    I've got two small kids and one glock. His kids aren't more treasured than mine.

Safeties on defensive handguns have almost certainly cost as many lives as they've "saved". Safety is not a gun feature, it's a conscientious pursuit by mindful parents bring up their kids to respect the awesome privilege and responsibility of the power to irreversibly alter a person's life- for better or worse-- in an instant. Something to ponder, for your friend's consideration ... Jmo

mannus

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2010
    I second the PT111 G2. Meets all his requirements. I know it is advertised as a DA/SA, but it really is a SA w/ DA re-strike capability if that makes sense. I have mine on me now at work in an IWB tuckable I Frankenstein'd.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    evolevo
    Top Bottom