• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cwood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    NE Ohio
    As the title implies, who are the best sources for parts when building 9mm SBR using the AR platform? As in complete uppers, BCG's, lower parts kits, magwells and etc..

I am just starting my build and am trying to plan ahead so please beat me with information.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    As the title implies, who are the best sources for parts when building 9mm SBR using the AR platform? As in complete uppers, BCG's, lower parts kits, magwells and etc..

ADCO Firearms - uppers, barrels, conversion parts, etc:
    Adco Firearms LLC

Brownells 9mm conversion kit and associated parts:
    CAR-15/M4 9MM LOWER RECEIVER CONVERSION KIT at Brownells

Mark McWillis @ TROS USA makes some of the nicest 9mm AR barrels I've ever seen. They have an integral HK 3-lug adapter, which allows easy attachment of a sound suppressor or (MP5) flash hider, and they're silly accurate. I run one of his 9.5" barrels on my SBR, and I believe bigcraig runs one of his 5.5"s. The barrels aren't advertised on the TROS website, but drop an Email to Mark (mmcwillis@comcast.net) and he'll let you know current pricing and availability.

HTH!

Don

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 17, 2008
    Greenfield
    The only thing SBR specific is thew barrel the rest is available anywhere. Just be sure to register your lower and get your stamp before even having the barrel as the .gov can prosecute you for constructive intent to make a illegal SBR.

Paul

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Brownsburg
    The only thing SBR specific is thew barrel the rest is available anywhere. Just be sure to register your lower and get your stamp before even having the barrel as the .gov can prosecute you for constructive intent to make a illegal SBR.

Couldnt you say you are buying a pistol lower though to make it a pistol?

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    Couldnt you say you are buying a pistol lower though to make it a pistol?
    Don't make me kick your ass! You are supposed to be an edumacated NFA user now. Don't go and "say" you are doing something so that you can get away with something sinister. Don't buy any combination of parts that you can't put together in a legal arrangement. That means that if you don't have an AR pistol or AR SBR, DON'T BUY A SHORT BARREL! :bash:

ashylarry

Expert
    Rating - 90%
    9   1   0
    May 9, 2008
    Greencastle
    Don't make me kick your ass! You are supposed to be an edumacated NFA user now. Don't go and "say" you are doing something so that you can get away with something sinister. Don't buy any combination of parts that you can't put together in a legal arrangement. That means that if you don't have an AR pistol or AR SBR, DON'T BUY A SHORT BARREL! :bash:

Bringing this back up. But what about having a AR pistol short barrel and an AR15 rifle in the house. Since its so easy to put that upper on the rifle, could they say the same about constructive intent on that?

I know I would never do that because of what the punishment could be, and whats the point since you'd have the other upper on a legal lower already, so whats the point.

or would you really have to **** somebody off for that :)

RonPaulSupporter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 26, 2008
    Bringing this back up. But what about having a AR pistol short barrel and an AR15 rifle in the house. Since its so easy to put that upper on the rifle, could they say the same about constructive intent on that?

No, as long as you have a legal configuration currently in place for each upper and lower, there is no problem. If you had an AR-15 rifle and a pistol upper with no SBR lower or pistol lower, then that would be constructive intent.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Ok I don't want to start a new thread and this is close enough. I'm in the process of building an SBR and I DO NOT have an upper for it yet and the lower is NOT assembled as of this post. What do I need to do and where can I get information to apply for the SBR?

VUPDblue

Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    You will need to file a Form1 with BATFE along with fingerprint cards and a citizenship certification and $200 for the transfer tax. You will also need to get your local CLEO to sign your Form 1 before you send it to BATFE. Once you send all that stuff in, you will need to send your lower to Orion Arms to have it engraved with your first and last name, your city and your state. You may NOT even be in posession of a shorty upper until your Form1 comes back approved. Once that happens, you can buy your short parts.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Does it matter? Can it be done inside the mag well or does it have to be outside? Maybe under the Pistol grip?

VUPDblue

Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    It has to be in a prominent, readily viewable location. Under the grip used to be acceptable, but was ruled that it is not acceptable any longer. Inside the magwell wouldn't be acceptable either, not to mention impossible to accomplish. A popular inconspicuous place is above the trigger (so you have to turn the gun upside down to see it. The only place Orion can engrave that doesn't involve complete disassembly is the front of the mag well. Any place else requires a stripped lower. It would be advisable to just send them the stripped lower and put it together when you get it back.

Top Bottom