• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    If you're going to have someone do it then you may want to just buy a finished lower. I believe they would have to have a license to manufacture in order to do the machining for you.

SeaseFire

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Plainfield
    Thank you jagee, very informative post.

And yes Fizzerpilot and Roadie, if I didn't do it myself, would be looking for a recommendation on someone with a FFL to do the work.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    They would have to be a Class 7 FFL...not just a Class 1.

This right here! Even if you do find a machine shop or a person that will do it for you, they will be committing a felony. Do it yourself or not at all. They are very doable with some basic skills and a drill press and router.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    The 80% arms easy jig is pretty simple to use with adequate skills.
    I guess you need to ask yourself why you want an 80%. In my case, I wanted completely custom markings, and the only way it could be done was with 80%. But it can certainly be cheaper to just buy a stripped lower... and some outfits even offer 'near blank' lowers to accommodate custom markings.

Only other options (that I found during my travels) are a mini mill... but then you're spending upwards of 600$ for a hobby small model, plus more $ for digital readouts on x, y & z for accurate cuts. The x&y axis jigs for a drill press seemed awful pricey, and pretty sloppy from what I researched.

I will tell you that I bought extra bits for the easy jig, and after doing 3 lowers (with a 4th yet to be done), there was really no need for the extra bits.

Any other jigs I found required the use of a mill. I have a jig which I've never used because of this requirement.

Read my review thoroughly... attacking each pass from 3 sides will help smooth out the cuts. Though most everyone who's seen my lowers was impressed with the cuts on it (including AllenM from Diamond Collision).

As others have mentioned, milling an 80% is manufacturing a firearm. And while the govt allows DiY, it now frowns upon anyone else (not licensed to manufacture) doing it for you, or even loaning you equipment to DiY. This ruling put an end to 80% build parties.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Tactical Machine makes an excellent Jig and lower. I have the jig. If you look on gunbroker and armslist you can sometimes find used good jigs.

James Madison sells a poly lower with the jig. It's really easy to do. . ;) And it's around a 100 bucks with the jig. Mine is 3-4 years old and been holding up just find just fine. I have done a few aluminum and poly. I cheat thought, I got a mill.

Top Bottom