Brian's Surplus

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 18, 2016
    Howard County
    $330 for an 8# of Varget plus shipping and Hazmat? No thanks.
    That's the new normal. They are only a buck or 2 higher than what I sell them for. Just about all the powder Hodgdon sells DTC is pretty much the same price I have it for on the shelf. Keep in mind that powder prices go up quarterly now...

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I swear that I'm gonna start shooting again soon. This high pricing doesn't encourage me much though.

Not to mention gas prices like they are and everything else related is inflation taxed.

My shooting may just have to stay the occasional varmint shot, air gun work and dry fire until prices moderate some more?

I have a fair amount of ammo and components on hand. It just doesn't make good sense to expend the reserve when replacement cost is so high.

On top of all of that, I hate to feed the beast. If these prices are the new norm, whoever decided what the new norm is needs to get that I won't be playing like I used to. :nono: :nono: :nono:

Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    336   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    What exactly are you expecting? We have terrible inflation, and a demand that is still out pacing supply. Do you really think you’re going to get it for $230 and free hazmat/shipping?
    No, I don't expect that. I have plenty, and I'll buy when the pricing comes back down to an acceptable *to me* price. Your acceptable is obviously different than mine.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Varget was always one of Hodgden's higher priced powders.

IIRC it went for +/- $200 for an 8# jug before the panic, 'rona, lockdown, gouging?

Brian's Surplus

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 18, 2016
    Howard County
    What do you get it for?
    I get it for less than I sell it for, that's how I stay in business.

I'm paying more for it now than I was selling it for a few months ago. Unfortunately, that's the case with almost everything I sell. Prices are going up so fast that if I don't pay attention, I sometimes end up paying more to replace products than I sell them for...

mark40sw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2015
    Roanoke
    Varget was always one of Hodgden's higher priced powders.

IIRC it went for +/- $200 for an 8# jug before the panic, 'rona, lockdown, gouging?

I remember hodgson's slower powders such as h1000 and retumbo had a shortage in the fall of 2019. I think varget was caught up in that shortage as well.

Brian's Surplus

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 18, 2016
    Howard County
    I remember hodgson's slower powders such as h1000 and retumbo had a shortage in the fall of 2019. I think varget was caught up in that shortage as well.
    Basically everything that comes from ADI in Australia had shortages, some worse than others. They are all still very difficult to get, and they typically sell out quickly when we do get them (with the exception of H50BMG). Some, like Benchmark and Trail Boss, are not currently being produced from what I've heard.

1652160571840.png

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Basically everything that comes from ADI in Australia had shortages, some worse than others. They are all still very difficult to get, and they typically sell out quickly when we do get them (with the exception of H50BMG). Some, like Benchmark and Trail Boss, are not currently being produced from what I've heard.

View attachment 199693
    Who makes CFE 223 and CFE Pistol? Is that American made? I've seen that available more often than about anything else

Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    336   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    What price is that? I’m genuinely curious.

* Insert grumpy old man noises*

I won't pay more than $240-$250 for an 8# of anything. That's my limit, or should I say "That's my limit right now." Again, your limits may be different. It's about need.

I bought a lot of supplies several years ago, but when I start to run low, my willingness to pay more may change. I suspect it will. Having said that, I do jump on extra materials that I find on INGO / Armslist for (what I consider) reasonable prices.

Those are just my personal price limits, I'm not saying Brian's Surplus is overpriced - quite the contrary, they've always done me right and I have the highest respect for their shop. If you haven't made the drive, it's awesome. Highly recommended. Businesses need to make money, and if people are paying $350 per jug, then that's cool. It's just not what I choose to do.

*Grumpy old man noises cease*

Top Bottom