• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Boilers

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    But how much did the components to make it cost?

Example: the store I work at (we sell big Hawaiian-style shirts that are PERFECT for CC) sells some pricey shirts (the avg right now is about $120). Most are made in China, but the silk for some is made in Italy. All of our prints are officially copyrighted, which costs money. And our productions standards are incredibly high compared to other companies that sell comparable shirts.

I do have to say I know where you're coming from, though. When I first started working there, I came from a 10-year history at JC Penney. I thought there was no way someone would spend $120 on a shirt. Now I have to stifle my laughter when someone tries to tell me how important they are because they're spending $120 on a shirt. (They ARE important, especially in these times, but no, I probably don't give them the same amount of attention as the customers who come in once or twice a month and spend $1000 at a time with their black American Express cards.)

Sheesh, I've become such a snob since I started working there. /sigh

I listen to a podcast with two guys that like to buy all the various styles of a particular brand. Your description sounds like what I picture their shirts as. They buy Tommy Bahama shirts. They mentioned some of them are pretty pricey. Sounds similar.

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    Slow down there. I'm not paying for it. She is. She didn't buy it anyways. But, if she wanted to spend $700 only ONCE and it was on a purse from Italy or France or something, AND especially if it was HER money, then go ahead. But, not for some crap made in China.

You know, if the area the purse was made in makes that big of difference, maybe we could get some more suckers in on a group buy. I would be more than willing to take a few weeks off work, fly to Italy or France, buy some materials, and make fifty or so purses while I am there if you can find buyers at $700/each!!!

Boilers

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Just had this thought.

COACHGUN

Now, it has two meanings.

Like a Stoeger, or whatever you can afford to buy after you spend $700 on a Coach purse.

But, come to think of it, for those of us that let (forced to) our wives keep 'ours'.... I would rather have my balls kept in a nice Coach bag than a WalMart cheapy.

Of course, for those rare days (hours?) that our wives let us have our balls back temporarily, their natural habitat bags are preferred, I think we can all agree on that. :)

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    IMO, if you can afford it and like it - buy it. You only get to live once, so enjoy it and the things in it.

What gets me though, is that most people _can't_ afford it. Even if they are making $100K/year, some folks are living in homes that costs $400K. The problem is that years later down the road, after living the "I can afford it _now_, so I will buy it and enjoy life.", they end up in a bind and don't have any money to get them through.

My sister went to LA to see friends from college. Of course they just had to shop at the fancy stores. She purchased a Prada purse for like $400.00. They sold the same purse here at Sam's Club for $275 or so!!

Face it, a lot of people buying high priced junk seem to have a _need_ that needs filled. I will never throw guns in with designer named junk when there is similar junk on the Walmart isle for a fraction of the price. Yes, it _is_ the same. Remember Peter Pan peanut butter that had to be pulled off the shelf. Funny how they had to pull off the Walmart brand too...why? Because it was the _exact_ same stuff made at the _exact_ same plant.

Guns are different, to a point. An HK may have the same basic function as a Lorcin, but the way they perform that function has different qualities. The area where guns are the same: Springfield XD vs. HS 2000. People payed more for a name, nothing more.

Half the problem with the economy is this whole idea that some people have to buy stuff/junk to make them feel better. I am all for it, until these types start calling for more of my money to be stolen to support them: Government health care, higher unemployment benefits, using the government to hike wages (which means the private business has to pass that onto us, the consumers), etc..

Every gun I have now is a deal. I grew up and out of the "retail price" and "this is special because of x, y, and/or z" phase in my early 20s. Yes, I _have_ the money and I am at low risk of needing it in the future, but no one ever knows. Of course who am I to judge, I only counted six Coach purses at the unemployment office!! (And please don't try to tell me that they were all likely fake. People don't do fake, they do original...that is where they get that high, buying over priced junk to feel special).

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    Last time I deployed to Turkey, I picked up two Coach purses for my wife. Of course they were only $20 each and cobbed together in a back-alley sweatshop. I have to say, the quality of both purses was really good. Have seen the same thing in Korea, Bahrain and Italy. She would never spend more that $25 for a purse here in the states. Here favorite purse cost only $1 at a garage sale.

spartan933

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2008
    Porter County
    You know, if the area the purse was made in makes that big of difference, maybe we could get some more suckers in on a group buy. I would be more than willing to take a few weeks off work, fly to Italy or France, buy some materials, and make fifty or so purses while I am there if you can find buyers at $700/each!!!

That sounds good to me. And, I am sure it comes as no surprise the number of women that are willing to pay high prices for name brand stuff, whether they have the money or not. My girlfriend is no exception.

The Italy thing sounds like a really good idea. It could be a movie title, INGO GOES TO ITALY! We could hit up the benelli, uberti, and beretta factories while we are there.

Top Bottom