• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 1mil-high

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 30, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Who all has used the 6.8 SPC for deer? I have read mixed reviews but would possibly be interested in giving it a try as it would only be the cost of an upper.

If you have used it what kind of results did you get on different shot presentations and sizes or deer?

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    My brother has taken hogs with 6.8. Iirc this calibercwas developed to give operators (SEALs?) a high powered soft shooting large caliber. They ended up not really loving it but it's a nice option for a deer 300yds or closer imo

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    I just finished building a 6.8 which I obviously haven't used on deer yet. The versatility to get usable velocities with bullets from 85-130 grains makes it a better choice than the Grendel and blackout, IMO. I probably won't hunt with it until next year but when I do, I plan on using either the 85 grn Barnes or the 90 grn Nosler E-tip.

indynotch50

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2008
    I need to research this caliber. I was looking at a 300 blk to hunt here in central Indiana but I'm wondering if the 6.8 won't work better.
    I looked at the 450 and 468 but didn't really like the ballistics.

Stang51d

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 25, 2012
    Centerpoint
    I need to research this caliber. I was looking at a 300 blk to hunt here in central Indiana but I'm wondering if the 6.8 won't work better.
    I looked at the 450 and 468 but didn't really like the ballistics.

I looked into the 300 blk at one time, but wasn't feeling it. It may work fine, but I went a different route. Several different routes.

Redleg11b

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 3, 2017
    Goshen/Elkhart
    From a cursory ballistics search I found the following: a 117gr in the 6.8 vs 120gr in the 6.5 Grendel (both at about 2600 fps) vs a 125gr in the 300 Blk at about 2100 fps. The Grendel and SPC are very close in velocity, SD (penetration), BC (trajectory), and useable range. The Blk has adequate energy and a greater commercial support network. I believe that the Blk will also be better handloaded than the basic ballistics I mentioned above. From reading many different forums, I believe that bullet selection and shot placement have more to do with the mixed results and reviews for deer than anything else. Enough with beating a dead horse though. They will all work fine at least out to 200 yards, with the 6.8 and 6.5 having a little more reach than that.

On another note, the SPC will require a different bolt for use in an AR, and most times a different magazine as well for better feeding reliability. The Grendel will have the same drawbacks if used in an AR platform as well. CZ and Howa are making bolt actions in the Grendel (there may be others as well), Remington was making bolt guns in the 6.8 SPC for a while too, and I am sure there are still some out there to be found. I have been researching cartridges in this performance range myself and am still undecided. I would also look into the 6x45mm (6-223) if you handload, as well as the 7.64x40WT, 6.5PCC, and the .277 Wolverine which will keep the same bolt as your 5.56 AR.

Links for starting points:
    https://rifleshooter.com/2014/11/6-...ridge-6-5-pcc-6-5mm-wildcat-for-the-ar15m-16/
    Review: Wilson Combat 7.62x40 - RifleShooter
    https://www.maddogweapons.com/277-wolverine.html
    https://www.sinclairintl.com/GunTec...1-The-6Mm-223-Remington-/detail.htm?lid=16113

Top Bottom