• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • awittmer

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Batesville
    does the bolt that can be ordered from alexander arms, for 66$ just include the bolt head? so could i just use my .223 carrier and firing pin? or do i need a different firing pin?

Last edited:

awittmer

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Batesville
    Nope, never got an answer but did some research.. i believe that a standard .223 carrier will work, but you must get a bolt that is for the 6.5.

ZbornacSVT

Owner at Bobcat Armament
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Shelbyville
    It needs a different bolt (7.62x39 I believe) but you can drop it into your carrier of choice. I chose to use a Youngs National Match Lite.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    It needs a different bolt (7.62x39 I believe) but you can drop it into your carrier of choice. I chose to use a Youngs National Match Lite.

There have been SOME reports of the 7.62x39 bolts breaking when used for Grendel rounds. Yes, they have the same head size but the Grendel bolts are very slightly beefed up, just enough apparently, that they don't break like the 7.62x39 bolts.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    In my experience, it is a 7.62X39 bolt. Nothing is beefed up on it, but the extractor is modified for reliable feeding of the Grendal case head.

When my extractor broke during the Nationals in 2009, I modded the new 7.62X39 extractor that night in the barracks with sandpaper wrapped around an empty 223 case. It took about 30 minutes of trial and error fitting. If the case feeds smoothly into the chamber and bolt head, you got it.

I talked to the AA folks face to face and they tried to make me believe that they had a secret propriatary process. Not so, if you see what they do to make it work.

And to the OP, yes you can use any AR15 bolt carrier with the 6.5 Grendel bolt. No issues or mods are needed.

awittmer

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Batesville
    How about magazines. i have read that the .223 mag will work and other places that say they will not work.
    I realize the 6.5 mags are only 15-20 bucks for a 10 rounder but was curious.

Top Bottom