• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Titanium Man

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2009
    Indy---USA
    What is the deal with the 5.7 ammo shortage? I've got 20 boxes on standing order with my distributor, and only two people make the leaded 40gr. Federal and Hornady (for FNH)

I can buy 80 boxes, if they ever come in, but I don't want to get pinched for $1600+.

I wish another company would make a 5.7 pistol, so more ammo manufacturers would make 5.7x28 ammo.

You spend a $1000+ for a pistol that you can't get ammo for. NIIIIIICE! ;)

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    There are a couple of companies now listed as making 5.7x28, but I can't for the life of me figure out why the round is so hard to come by, and why the prices have skyrocketed.

You might for the heck of it contact FNH in the US and see if they have a reason why ammo for their great pistol and politically correct carbine is so hard to find.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Forget calling, found this:
    Your best source for FN ammo & accessories

FiveseveNammodotcom said:
    NOTICE: We have been informed by FN that all 5.7x28mm ammunition will be in extremely short supply during the first seven months of 2012. This is due to limited production of this caliber by the factory. In other words, 5.7 ammunition will have spotty availability at best at least until mid-July.

JWAS

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Aug 22, 2011
    Dayton
    elite ammunition makes some AMAZING self defense ammo for the 5.7, but its expense, but I liked it a lot when I've shot it before.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    You bought a firearm chambered in a relatively obscure and unusual round. You could have purchased a Model '92 lever-action in 32-20 or a Model 70 in 225 Winchester, and run into the same problem. The difference being, you bought a new firearm for a new round, instead of one that is already obsolete. (The 5.7x28 will eventually be obsolete, as well.)

The real bummer about this cartridge is that it's a b!*** to reload, particularly if you're not already an experienced reloader. So, ammo will always be hard to find, the round was headed for obsolescence the day it was introduced, it sucks to reload, its only real use is for Special Ops even on the military side, and its only virtue is that it spits out a bunch of little bullets in a hurry.

It definitely has a "cool" factor, if you have the license to shoot a full-auto model, but other than that, the 5.7x28 has far too many drawbacks for it to ever be more than niche weapon used by the military as a side-arm alternative.

The Keymaster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Manistee County, MI
    You bought a firearm chambered in a relatively obscure and unusual round. You could have purchased a Model '92 lever-action in 32-20 or a Model 70 in 225 Winchester, and run into the same problem. The difference being, you bought a new firearm for a new round, instead of one that is already obsolete. (The 5.7x28 will eventually be obsolete, as well.)

The real bummer about this cartridge is that it's a b!*** to reload, particularly if you're not already an experienced reloader. So, ammo will always be hard to find, the round was headed for obsolescence the day it was introduced, it sucks to reload, its only real use is for Special Ops even on the military side, and its only virtue is that it spits out a bunch of little bullets in a hurry.

It definitely has a "cool" factor, if you have the license to shoot a full-auto model, but other than that, the 5.7x28 has far too many drawbacks for it to ever be more than niche weapon used by the military as a side-arm alternative.

Just wondering, have you ever reloaded a 5.7 x 28 cartridge? IMO the cartridge is not a bi*** to reload. I have been doing it for the last 3+ years with excellent results. It does take a little more time, and care than most calibers, but those that reload for competition are used to that. It is also not a new cartridge, as it has been around since 1991. That makes it slightly newer than 40 S&W which was introduced in 1990.

As far as whether it will become obsolete, only time will tell. I will tell you that out of all the firearms I own, my FiveSeven, and PS90 are the most fun to shoot. The cartridges are no more expensive to reload than most other calibers, and with the right combination of bullet, powder, and primer one can make some screaming ammo that can be accurate at surprising distances.

Also, I didn't know a special license was required to shoot a full auto weapon. Where does one get one of those? :dunno:

Titanium Man

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2009
    Indy---USA

Yeah, I know. I have two huge safes full of conventional stuff everybody has, and can get ammo for, now, but it's just a neat little weapon.

Everybody always asks the question........."what's your favorite shth gun"....well I found it.

With the two extra mags included, plus the extra two I purchased, that's 100 rounds of ammo, relatively light, a whole lot high power in a little cartridge, in case it's needed.:D

I'll be buying and stashing 20 boxes of ammo away soon, and buying it periodically, as the distributor puts it on special, so it'll just be a fun, special gun. My wife loves to shoot it, and she's the one who found it for me, and said "let's get it!"

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    I think the special license to shoot full auto was directed to the FNH P90 which thanks to an unconstitutional law we the people are not allowed to own.

03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    I'm guessing that the 5.7x28 production temporarily fell to the wayside as they geared up to run off other cartridges. Who knows. But there will be some factory ammo available in a few months though we're probably not going to like the price.
    This is one cartridge that a person should reload for, and keep a good stash of components onhand for.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    I knew it was a round I didnt want any part of when at my LGS the ammo wall only had 2 boxes of it. Along side the vastness of all the other calibers he has in stock and now he dont even stock it.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Per Lyman's 49th Edition:

"In our testing, we found that the 5.7x28 is not a good cartridge for beginning reloaders. It proved to be a very sensitive cartridge. Always begin at the recommended starting charges and work up slowly in 0.1 grain increments."

They go on to state that there are sizing issues with this round and that shoulders are often blown forward .050" on factory rounds that have been fired. Before mentioning a handful of powders that are suitable, one being the discontinued HS-7, they mention the result of all that working of the shoulder is shortened brass life. "We would not recommend reloading these cases more than 2 or 3 times."

In my estimation, and based on other articles I have read, this round is a pain in the neck to reload for, though it can be done. High-pressure, small caliber pistol rounds are not found in great abundance for a variety of very good reasons. I stand by my earlier assertions, including the special tax stamp one must have, in order to purchase and own a fully automatic weapon.

Look at it this way: If this round was offered in any other firearm design, there would be basically ZERO interest in it. It is the form factor and "fire-power" of the firearm for which the 5.7x28 is chambered that makes it a marketable item. The round itself has few redeeming qualities, being in that limbo between a 22WMR and a true, high-power, centerfire 22. If you had to choose between this and a 22-250 or 223 or a 204 Ruger...which would it be? :rolleyes:

alfahornet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 25, 2008
    Look at it this way: If this round was offered in any other firearm design, there would be basically ZERO interest in it. It is the form factor and "fire-power" of the firearm for which the 5.7x28 is chambered that makes it a marketable item. The round itself has few redeeming qualities, being in that limbo between a 22WMR and a true, high-power, centerfire 22. If you had to choose between this and a 22-250 or 223 or a 204 Ruger...which would it be? :rolleyes:

I disagree at least in part with your statement. First, I'd like to mention that the round is very similiar to the round used in the HK MP7. Second, it was developed as a round that could be fired from both pistol and PDW and penetrate body armor. I think the problem is more than only 'weak' loads are available in the US for civilian use but I do believe it fits the niche market for which it was developed very well. HK essentially copied FN design with some modification for their round that is used in the MP7. And both the MP7 and P90 are quite extensively used. Not as extensively as the MP5 or others but they're also new designs and it takes time for agencies and militaries to adapt.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    I disagree at least in part with your statement. First, I'd like to mention that the round is very similiar to the round used in the HK MP7. Second, it was developed as a round that could be fired from both pistol and PDW and penetrate body armor. I think the problem is more than only 'weak' loads are available in the US for civilian use but I do believe it fits the niche market for which it was developed very well. HK essentially copied FN design with some modification for their round that is used in the MP7. And both the MP7 and P90 are quite extensively used. Not as extensively as the MP5 or others but they're also new designs and it takes time for agencies and militaries to adapt.

I agree with everything you said, but how is that disagreeing with my post? I said that this round is intended for a very specific type/design of weapon and has little value, outside of that niche. As a civilian weapon, the ONLY thing it does of interest, is shoot many, very small bullets, very quickly. That will appeal to a handful of people with "special interests". It will never appeal to target shooters, varmint hunters, or small game hunters...normal civilians.

If/when you start to see bolt-action rifles or single-shot barrels being offered in this round, maybe I'll pay a little more attention to it. In fact, if you freed this round from having to be sized aggressively, such that it will run in a semi-auto design, you could probably get better case life from it, and probably improved ballistic performance, as well. The thing is, it would STILL be in that 22-caliber limbo, stuck between a 22WMR or a 223. It performs like a mildly-loaded 22 Hornet, with none of the cool or quirky attributes of that old classic. :twocents:

Top Bottom